Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
As an architect who for many years taught building construction, including steelwork, I have always been intrigued by the lapped connections between adjacent plates in a strake, and with the formation of rebates in the plates where the lap joint meets the strakes above and below. Also with the way in which the strakes become flush at the stem. Does that make sense? I would very much like to hear a detailed explanation of how all that was done, it would conclude years of speculation on my part!

· Registered
122 Posts
Thanks Fred,
That helps, but being a graphic-minded character I probably need to see a picture! Over the years I've looked hard at the few surviving rivetted ships in our region, such as the restored Minesweeper ex HMAS Castlemaine at Williamstown, and have a fair idea of the principle if not the complete details. I encouraged a former student to photograph the Jeremiah O'Brien and it seems that the Liberties, although welded generally followed rivetted practice, some being substantially rivetted. I remember the Forts etc. were rivetted at vertical joints, welded horizontally and with plenty of variations. My trouble is in trying to recall things that I saw as a 15 year old!
Thanks, and best regards,
Allan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.