Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
I know this topic is a bit old but I am looking for information on the approach to welding in U.S. warships up to about 1943. My current sense of the state of welding leaves me puzzled at what as I see in plans. In this era US Warships tended to have an odd mix of welding and riveting. Hull plating tended to be riveted except along the bottom where they were butt welded. I can imagine that this was done out of concern of making the shell too stiff.

In the same ship one can find welds where, instead of a butt weld, a scalloped seamstrap was welded to both sides of the joint similar to the way that would be used for riveting. In angle joints, one can frequently find two scalloped plates being welded over the joint—where the second adds nothing to the strength of the joint. Such an approach is more labor intensive, less strong, and adds weight (a critical factor when trying to comply with treaty limitations) compared to directly welding plates together.

The latter might be explained by a lack of trust in welding during this time. But this theory is undermined by the routine use of butt joints in the shell.

I am wondering if the different approaches were simply the result of different designers for different parts of a ship or whether there was some do***entation saying what should be done in different cir***stances.

By 1943, riveting had largely disappears in U.S. warship construction, which was probably driven by the speed a which welding could be done.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.