Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a vacation and conquering a fear might not seem like they go hand in hand but consider that getting from your home to your destination can come with its own set of fears.(Whaaa)

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Buffy, if you're used to slaying vampires a trip to the airport should be a doddle but I can imagine, humans can be so unpredictable.

JJ

·
Registered
895 Posts
Taking a vacation and conquering a fear might not seem like they go hand in hand but consider that getting from your home to your destination can come with its own set of fears.(Whaaa)
Wrong site Buffy old chum, if you are peddling seasickness tablets, we've experienced hurricanes, typhoons, cyclones and the ladies of Skandi bar in Valparaiso (Smoke)

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Worst travel fears?

Presumably here we speak as passengers-in-retirement as opposed to mariners, formerly intrepid, in days of yore?

My own worst fears now are in trying to remember in which pocket I left my ticket and my passport? And to what indignity might I be subjected in a security check? Might my trousers fall down when I remove my belt? Can I still bend to attend to my shoelaces?

Compared with these things, all else is a piece of cake, as it always has been and should be!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Multistorey car parks where you take the lift back to what you believed to be your floor and not only is the car not where it should be but you don't even recognise the layout of the car park floor.

·
Spongebob
9,374 Posts
One of my first trips to the Aussie Gold Coast saw us park our rental car in a crowded multi story car park and fail to take note of the position or the licence plate number , even its colour was uncertain , white ?silver? Fawn? We had driven a few that trip
Returned late afternoon to find that we did not have a clue as to where it was and after a fruitless search and as the park was emptying fairly quickly as the shoppers headed for home we went and had an early tea at a nearby cafe until things thinned out . It worked and we learned a lesson for life .

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Back in 1978 I did a 3 month secondment working out of Babcock & Wilcox's London office. Big mistake but I took my car and on the first evening I parked in an underground car park near the hotel I was billeted. The car park was built under Russell Square and was like a spiral gradually going down.
The next morning I set off to the get the car and couldn't find it anywhere. Thinking it was pinched, I walked up the stairs to get out of the car park and noticed it was marked Entrance C. It then dawned on me that there must be more than one. It turned out that the car park was built in four separate but interlocking spirals each with an entrance at each corner of Russell Square.
I went back in another entrance and found my car but the rest of the time, after the first week I was working in London, I took the train.
The engineering of that underground construction was quite something.

JJ.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
There's an underground car park in Turin that runs for miles across the city. It's low, narrow and lots of corners, a nightmare for those not paying attention.....

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Talk-about being stupid!

I was flying-out to Libya to do some 'mods' on a 'fridge-plant at Ras Lanuf and, prior to going, I'd gone into York and bought a copy of the Koran.

Why did I do this?

My reasoning was that when I got to Tripoli air-port and the Customs may open my gear they'd spot the Koran laid, (carefully!!!), on top of my clothes and think, "A fellow Muslim, we'll let him straight through".

Luckily they never stopped me and I went out to where there were drivers waiting for various Contractors. Found the one displaying ROE and off we went to Ras Lanuf-----a fairish drive.

When I met-up with the (English) bloke I would be dealing with, during my stay, I told him about my brilliant idea of putting the Koran in my luggage.

He was absolutely horrified and told me I was VERY fortunate Customs hadn't wanted to look in my case as, if they had and seen the Koran and couldn't prove I was a Muslim, I would have been in serious trouble!!

He offered to dispose of it for me as, if a rabid Muslim Hotel-worker had seen it I may have been equally in the sh1te!

Having seen, (since I went out there), exactly how fervent followers of Islam are I realise how lucky I was and, equally, how very stupid too! Phil

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Some airports physically inspect the contents of your carry on baggage at the gate (Bangkok is but one).
I always put a pair of (clean) jocks on top of all the other junk - they usually seem to lose interest pretty quickly. (Jester)

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Multistorey car parks where you take the lift back to what you believed to be your floor and not only is the car not where it should be but you don't even recognise the layout of the car park floor.
Not sure what this has to do with the OP, but multi-storey car parks!....some years ago I was the project director building a large biofuels plant in Slough, UK, and because it was a six-day week and ten hours a day job I rented a flat in a nearby village to avoid the soullessness of hotels. one weekend my wife flew out to spend the couple of days with me, so I took the Saturday off and took her to the massive shopping complex in Slough centre. I parked my car in the multi-storey that seemed as if it could easily park every car in Europe. I faithfully noted the level and the bay numbers where I had parked, and we set off on a window shopper's paradise for women like my girl.

Time came to leave, and I confidently led the way up the appropriate lift to the level....but I couldn't find my car, or even the bay number. My wife was less than sympathetic: "You were a seaman, and you can't find your way around a car park?" She demanded as she struggled under the volumes of bags of her purchases (and no, I didn't offer to carry them for her because I was the expedition leader and needed to have a clear view of the way ahead).

"I was a engineer, not a navigator. We weren't required to know where we were from, where we were, or where we were going. And we didn't park ships in bloody car parks!"

Eventually I found a guy in some form of uniform, and I presented him with my parking ticket. "I can't find this bay on this floor!"

"There isn't such a bay number on this level, and this is one level higher than this part of the parking was built. You are in the wrong multi-storey mate!"

There is something badly wrong with countries that can build such atrocities as that, and I remained convinced that in dark concrete crevices in that nightmare there were the skeletons of innocent shoppers who never did find their cars, but whose estates incurred massive parking charges for cars that had long disintegrated into rust! (Cloud)

·
Spongebob
9,374 Posts
I was in the UK on company business in 1984 and after visiting Babcock London office I trained down to Portsmouth to visit Saake Burners before getting a rental for the weekend .
Monday morning saw me headed for Babcock Packaged Boiler division in Birmingham central where they had pre booked me into a hotel nearby . What a nightmare! Driving into that maze on a Monday afternoon , spaghetti junction or what ever they call it was true to its name and although I spotted the high rise well labelled hotel building on my first swoop in but could I get off the tangle of roads . After about three circuits I managed to break free and find a parking building near the hotel and to book in for a quiet evening.
I rang my contact the next morning to arrange a calling time and mentioned the car , where could I park it etc.
"what , you have driven a car into Birmingham !! Just dump it and walk around the corner"
I followed the instructions walking through a haze of overhead motorway support columns etc to the offices where a kind office junior was given my parking chit to take around to Hertz to return the car to them. Never heard another word .
The big busy Babcock office had but one car park for the manager otherwise everyone else used public transport . A lesson learnt.

Bob

·
Registered
245 Posts
lost count of how many times went to shop came back to car,spoke to wife,but you got it,same make, same colour of car,but not my wife wrong car(LOL)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts