Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lamptrimmer :

Would that be Cpt A Crosby ?
I sailed with him when he was Capt of the SS Dagenham (Hudsons)

Ivor
Yes the signature says A. Crosby . Well respected by us Deckies. He was not adverse to giving a blast on the whistle to get the lads from the GOLDEN FLEECE for the P.M. sailings.I often wonder how he would have reacted to a suggestion that the Company supply him with overalls and a douvet to help with crew reduction.The Chief Officer was Mr. Uminski (spelling may be incorrect) known to us as The Duke.On one trip from Blyth we loaded 7,700 tons which was then I think a record cargo for a collier.We also had a good turn of speed and the Chief Eng.delighted in leaving the WATERLAND behind.
A very sad day when the "DEEP" sank in the Western Med. in 1972.

Regards
lamptrimmer

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Pat,

Can you give your view on whether the Cammell Laird reincarnation will be a success.

Brgds

Bill
Bill,
I doubt if my view would be objective.
I want very much for it to be a success, and the agreement with Fincantiere must mean something is in the offing, but as someone else pointed out on another thread, all the machinery and shipbuilding equipment is gone. It would take a massive investment to set it all up again, but I really hope it can be done.
Pat

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
If I recall correctly, it was the Hudson Sound (built 1950: later re-named the Rosella, then Cathy, then Vedalin) that was impounded in the inner harbor of Baltimore, Maryland, during the mid 1970's for unpaid bills. I worked as an office drone in a bureaucracy then, and used to haunt the harbor in my free time, dreaming of more exciting worlds. I was never able to go aboard, but I drove by the pier and parked alongside her many a time to "gaze in wild surmise."

Just the ship, I figured, for a Humphrey Bogart sort of fellow such as myself to captain, tramping throughout the South Seas, with a half-dozen or so passengers rangeing from spies to drug lords to beautiful Eurasian Countesses with scandalous pasts....

Trips to the Vedalin kept me sane, gazing out the window through many an office workday. If my checking account balance had not been a complete laughingstock I'd have bought that ship.

You who have lived the life for real may not realize how powerful the pull of the fantasy is for those of us ashore.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
An illustrated A4 book on the company and fleets was published a couple of years ago by Coastal Shipping
The author was Graham Atkinson

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sailed on the HUDSON DEEP 1963/1964 Capt's Elsdon. Wickman and Crosby.She was the original Super collier with Blyth ( Bates and West) as her usual loading port and discharge at Northfleet Power Station on the Thames.No expense was spared to keep her on the move. We signed Home Trade Articles but worked watch aboard watch ashore.Experience gained during her time on the N.E. Coast helped design the next generation of colliers like the HUDSON LIGHT.

My Dad was on the Hudson Deep at the end of 1964. Was made up to bosun on the Deep then went on the Hudson River after that. He was also on the Cape, Bay and the Light. Do you remember him? Alastair Stuart was his name.

Regards
Ronnie Stuart

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hudsons

I sailed on the Light 68/9 the Trader(tanker)70,Venture 71,Varangfjell 74/5,Friendship 75/6,Bel Hudson 76,Venture again76,Garrison Point 77,then I left to go to other companies. It was a good company to be with, sorry it is no longer, remember a few names:- Uminski,Tommy Hall, Alex Slesser, Tommy Bainbridge, Aldo Swarfini ?, Brian Mosely,Sherrif Chester,Derrek Willey, Joe Davison,Sammy the cook, is anybody out there still alive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi
Anyone here sailed with this company? I have not seen any reference to it on SN but most mariners I have spoken to, know it. In particular, did anyone sail on "Hudson Deep" back in the 60's

Alan
I sailed on the coaster collier Hudson Light, 24/2/75 - 07-03-75. Short time I know, but I couldn't take to coastal work. I said then; after shoveling the spilt coal from the deck back in to the hatche's; "bugger working down a pit if it's like this". Two years later I ended up working underground for seventeen and a half years. And do you know what? I thoroughly enjoyed my time down there until Mrs Thatcher closed the pits.:mad:

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Was anybody on the Hudson Light on any of it's little mishaps, particularly the carving of a great big hole in the side of Bitish India's CHANTALA in 1969?

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I was at South Shields Marine College in 1975 met a girl whose father was a Chief Engineer with Hudsons, his name was Jack Spour. He was standing by a VLCC being built in Sweden when he had an accident and when knew him he was on sick leave.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hudson Deep

Hi
Anyone here sailed with this company? I have not seen any reference to it on SN but most mariners I have spoken to, know it. In particular, did anyone sail on "Hudson Deep" back in the 60's

Alan
Hi Alan
Did you sail with Capt James Gbbons DSC on the Deep ?
I sailed with him as R/O on the Hudson Strait for Two years in 1947
also was on Dagenham Capt Crosbie

Ivor

·
Registered
1 Posts
My late brother in law was a ships radio officer on the Hudson steamers, sailing out of Blyth to the Thames ladden with coal.

He also sailed the world on some of the big oil carriers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Alan
my dad was on the hudson deep left the ship in auckland newzealand in november 1969 not been seen since

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hi Alan
Did you sail with Capt James Gbbons DSC on the Deep ?
I sailed with him as R/O on the Hudson Strait for Two years in 1947
also was on Dagenham Capt Crosbie

Ivor
Sorry for delayed reply Ivor but not checked thread for while. No, it was not me that sailed with Hudsons but my brother and I beleive he sailed with Captain Gibson.

Best wishes
Alan

21 - 40 of 75 Posts