Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Allen Joined Hudson Friendship in Dubai where she had been laid up in 1976 loaded at Kharg Island then back to Le Harve and Fawley from there she when up to Norway to lay up again not sure of what happend to her then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Anyone here sailed with this company? I have not seen any reference to it on SN but most mariners I have spoken to, know it. In particular, did anyone sail on "Hudson Deep" back in the 60's

Alan
Hello Alan Sailed on the Hubson Firth 3rd eng. 1957/60 Ralphg
and the Chief Eng. was Bob Chambers of Whitley Bay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sailed as 3rd Eng with Capt. Crosby and Chief Officer Uminski on the Hubson Firth 1957/60 Both these Officers were well respected by all Eng/Room staff, Especially when we were in near fatal collision with RMS Loch Ryon off start point in 1957 ending up in Hull dry dock having new bow fitted and unexpected leave.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hi ralphg I remember that ship very well i was employed as an handing lad at Brigham and Cowan ltd Hull, she dry dock in K.G.D.Hull. she came in fully loaded and she was dry docked fully loaded, the bow had to be renewed from top to bottom and it went right back to the number one hold bulkhead lucky that it did not bust the bulkhead our it could have been worst then it was. it was a good job for us lots of over time and six weeks extra work to fit new bow. did you have any photos of the damage. sam2182sw

·
Registered
1 Posts
Capt James Gibbons DSC

I sailed as R/O on Hudson Strait and Dagenham
Anyone sail with Capt James Gibbons DSC

Ivor
Hi Ivor,

Capt James Gibbons was my grandfather. I never had the chance to sail with him, though my mother did quite regularly during school holidays. He was an amazing man and a real character - we never tired of his stories.... I'd be keen to hear any memories you may have (good or bad!).

Sadly my grandfather passed away in April 1988.

All the best,
Pete

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I had a couple of beers aboard Hudson Deep in Savona, Italy the day after Churchill's funeral. Nice ship. I was in Sagamore, Furness Withy at the time. Last Hudsons I saw were in Cammell Lairds in 1977 when I was aboard the Algol for fitting out.
Bob

·
Madbob
110 Posts
Was appointed 2nd Mate to Hudson Firth in early 64 with instructions to meet the Master in the 'Railway' close to Harton Staithes. I was early, he was late, with the inevitable consequence. Was told thanks but no thanks. Appointed to 'Thomas Hardie' instead. Had family friend Bill Manningham who was Ch.Stwd with Hudsons for many years and ran into him in Montreal when he was in 'Hudson Point'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sailed as 3rd Eng with Capt. Crosby and Chief Officer Uminski on the Hubson Firth 1957/60 Both these Officers were well respected by all Eng/Room staff, Especially when we were in near fatal collision with RMS Loch Ryon off start point in 1957 ending up in Hull dry dock having new bow fitted and unexpected leave.
HI Ralph just joined tonight while browsing web. you and I sailed on the Hudson Firth together I was the R/O after O'Shaughnessy left. C/E Vernon Parker, 2/E Robert Bridges were the engineers. It was my first ship as a solo R/O and I thought I was a way for 5 weeks I think we came back 8 months later. Nice to see your name here. The Chief Steward was an Ex Canadian Bootlegger for which we were all grateful!! .

·
Registered
1 Posts
In 1964 I sailed on the Hudson Point. All the while at school I yearned for a life at sea, my father however wouldn't hear of it until I had served an apprenticeship. Immediately I completed my time I set about getting away. I joined the Hudson Point as a Junior Eng. at the Mercantile Dry Dock in Jarrow on the River Tyne. I had never been near a ship in my life and I don't think I had been outside my hometown of South Shields. We sailed from the Tyne for Flushings where we took on bunkers. We sailed immediately to Santo Domingo in Dominican Republic and took on sugar. We then sailed through the Panama Canal to Auckland in New Zealand to discharge the sugar. The Chief Engineer at the time was Peter Surtees and the third Engineer was Paddy Joyce from Jarrow. This was, and still is the highlight of my life. I still have a few pictures I can upload if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hudson Deep 1961/2

I remember HUDSON DEEP in Newcastle NSW in 1961/2 when I was an apprentice in the RIVER MURRUMBIDGEE.
From memory she was well kept with a black? hull, red funnel with black top and a large white H on each side of the funnel.
Alan

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sailed on the Light 68/9 the Trader(tanker)70,Venture 71,Varangfjell 74/5,Friendship 75/6,Bel Hudson 76,Venture again76,Garrison Point 77,then I left to go to other companies. It was a good company to be with, sorry it is no longer, remember a few names:- Uminski,Tommy Hall, Alex Slesser, Tommy Bainbridge, Aldo Swarfini ?, Brian Mosely,Sherrif Chester,Derrek Willey, Joe Davison,Sammy the cook, is anybody out there still alive.
My Dad Jim (Jimmy) Young sailed as an electrician on many of those vessels named above in the 70's, did you know him?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I sailed on HUDSON POINT Feb1961 /July 61 Captain WIckman Jarrow to Santa Domingo to Auckland then Townsvile to Liverpool round the world in 5 months carrying sugar of course good old days

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is a book by Graham Atkinson Sinn about Hudson Steamship co £13 full of photos and the various voyages that the ship's did. Isbn 1-902953-14-2

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great book by Graham Atkinson 're Hudson Steamship co. Lots of photos and history mentions most ships and who their Captains were and the voyages the ship's did costs £13 Isbn 1-902953-14-2 code. 9 781902 953144 don't know if it I s still in print

·
Registered
5 Posts
I remember HUDSON DEEP in Newcastle NSW in 1961/2 when I was an apprentice in the RIVER MURRUMBIDGEE.
From memory she was well kept with a black? hull, red funnel with black top and a large white H on each side of the funnel.
Alan
That's her Alan always was a well run ship by Cpt. Gibbons and jack Cunningham Ch/o. Bill forrester 1956/60

41 - 60 of 75 Posts