Ships Nostalgia banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I remember the ships or algerine class minesweepers wave @welcome @Falmouth castle being towed up to clayton @daives breakers underthe bridges on the south side of the river whilst I was serving my time working on hms lion in the 60s ive got all the books never to sail again @lots of ship books on all classes of warships

·
Registered
20 Posts
I remember seeing hms Glasgow town class cruiser being broken up in blyth @ hms euraylis belona class anti aircraft cruiser armed with 10 5.25 guns in 5 turrets a b q x @y high angle turrets nice looking ships

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
A number of Algerines which were scrapped on the Tyne were towed up from the Reserve Fleet at Hartlepool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Folks - thanks for letting me join. With a lifelong interest in all things mechanical, I was delighted to move to Blyth at the end of the 70's and be able to walk down to the river and watch all the ships coming and going, the power station, and the pit. I've also have a 'thing' for shipwrecks, and the NE coast doesn't disappoint there either. As you get older, notions of the past get stronger, and I want to learn more. A picture popped up on facebook local history page which has me obsessed and fascinated - https://scontent.fman1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/q85/p370x247/29793599_10155874023993800_2643721084713155051_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ef7118a008b6e7f48d84473b75d5edda&oe=5B61850B I cropped it slightly, but was definitely beached at Blyth. From the state of her, I reckon she was undertow to HB to be broken up, but the tow was lost and she beached here. Does anyone have more information as to the identity of this vessel or what happened before and after the picture was taken?

·
Registered
66 Posts
StevenLockhart, Just been notified of your query. I have had a look at the photo of the beached ship. In 1947 there was a ship being towed to Blyth which went aground at South Beach. Check out www.rootschat.com then look for the Northumberland page; then search for ' Blyth History', which runs to many pages. I am sure in Blyth History I mentioned this about the ship running aground, and then someone posted a photo of the 1947 mishap. (My grandmother had taken me to South Beach at that time to see it, and the photo posted looked like the one I saw as a boy.
Shipwrecks - Also have a look at the following site - www.wrecksite.eu and you will find much interesting and valuable information about wrecks round the UK, and also Europe.
Good hunting.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Stephen photo is possibly Bendoran which was scuttled as a blockship in Normandy in June 1944.She arrived at Bolkows direct from Normandy May 19th 1947.Must admit that have not seen this photo before and no record in the book Battleship Wharf published in 1961.However looking at a photo of her in a previous guise as Cambrian Peeress there are similarities.
Spartan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Pityacka & Spartan - many thanks for both replies. I'm flogging through the timelines of Bendorran's career and certainly looks promising. I'll report back anything new I dig up. The plot thickens as they say!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Joe. Your name came up in a Google search in relation to shipbreakers at Blyth. I am in the final stages of writing a book on the armoured cruiser Duke of Edinburgh and am trying to source information on her sale and breaking up in Blyth. Do you have any information on this time in her life?
Fingers crossed.Andy.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Hi Joe. Your name came up in a Google search in relation to shipbreakers at Blyth. I am in the final stages of writing a book on the armoured cruiser Duke of Edinburgh and am trying to source information on her sale and breaking up in Blyth. Do you have any information on this time in her life?
Fingers crossed.Andy.
Hello Andy,

According to his file Joe sadly 'crossed the bar' (passed away) on 21st of April 2010

·
Registered
3 Posts
Joe RRooney & Peter Dryden
Hi, Joe & Peter,
I'm trying to compile a history of the Sea Scout troop I was in at Newcastle, We also has use of the "ice house" in Blyth. One yacht used by the troop was "Bonaventure" During [email protected] she was acquired by H.M.Govt and converted into a fire tender for use on the Tyne. After the was previous owners refused her dur to poor condition, but Lloyds Register had her entered from1948-1952 and owned by a T.W.Stoke and kept at Blyth. It occurs to me that she may have been bought by HB and used as a fire tender between the years given above. If you can confirm this it would be most helpful and appreciated.
Cheers, pramsec

·
Registered
540 Posts
The "Vanda" arrived at Hughes Bolckow for break-up in 1978 and when I parked an HGV outside the yards gates in 1986 she (or a vessel of that name and reg.) was still there.
Seems an awful long time to break up a ship.
Wonder if anyone has any info. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
In about 1936 my father bought a teak wood deckhouse from Bolkows for use as a garden shed on his allotment He claimed it was a wheelhouse but from my memory it could have been a retrofit radio cabin as it had a maze of lead jacketed wire insidebut no room for a compass He got it home on a hay bogey pulled with a horse to East Sleekburn where we lived It is long gone now as the bye pass went over his garden It was well made double skin with drop down windows on 3 sides

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Joe,

I am researching the history of Hughes Bolckow Ship & Locomotive Breakers of Blythe! I understand that you have a full list of what they actually broke up in their history? I would be extremely grateful if you would kindly forward to me a copy of this list for my search please. very many thanks. Kind regards. eagleye

181 - 200 of 203 Posts