141 - 160 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Southampton & Collingwood

The information I have about these ships is;

Both broken at Hughes Bolckow

On the Tyne;

1909 Collingwood, battleship, 9,150 tons displacement, launched 1882, Ironclad Turret Ship

On the Blyth (Southampton was the very first ship to be broken at HB's Blyth);

1912 Southampton, training ship, 1,476 tons displacement, launched 1820, former frigate, keel laid 1805

P

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whilst doing some research for my Cowpen & Blyth page I came across this interesting work of art. The breaking of HMS 'Britannia' (ex 'Prince of Wales') in 1916 by the artist Frank Brangwyn.

http://www.aucklandartgallery.com/the-collection/browse-artwork/11240/britannia

I also have a number of other HB wood furniture adverts. If you'd like copies of them for your blog I'll gladly share them with you.

P
P

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will have to stop trawling about on the internet, and IN HERE. Being from Blyth, Hughes Bolckow caught my eye, so I have had a quick look. Must set aside a couple of hours tomorrow to have a steady read of these contents,
Thanks for the post and all the threads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This thread has gone very quiet now, but nice to see you found your way to it PYFB. Some interesting and fascinating stuff. You will enjoy it.

P

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bolckow Blyth

I have a pretty well complete listing of ships broken up by this firm for the period 1908 to 1980. If anyone is interested in, or seeking information on any of the ships broken up by them send me an e-mail. The list includes warships, merchant ships, railroad trains, and even some buildings.

Joe
Hi Joe
I've just joined today and saw above. Whilst on a railway trip to Borough Gardens loco sheds on 25/26th July 1958, I had a fleeting glimpse from the Tyneside? Electric train of a large warship (apparently complete) in for scrapping. Trouble is -HMS Glasgow was ?gone by July 1958 and HMS Euryalus didn't arrive for 12 months. Its one of those boyhood memories which still remains a puzzle - can you help Joe please?
IanG

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry brian, no.
I'm hoping Joe is still using the forum - he appears to be the Bolckow expert. My only link to this scrapyard is a 10sec view from a train in July 1958!
Ian

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ian where about is Borough gardens ? it seems that you crossed the river Tyne, Bolkows was on the river Blyth and had no passenger trains around for miles
spartan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hughes Bolckow

My Grandfather's first job was at Hughes Bolckow's yard at Cambois, he went there because he was too young to start at the pit, but always considered himself very fortunate to get that job. His first pay was given to him in a small tin with a lid with orders that it should be taken intact to his Mother. His first wage ? One Shilling. Upon reaching the age of fourteen he left to begin work at Cambois Colliery.
The correct address for ' Bolckow's Yard ' was North Blyth, the steam ferry to Blyth was just outside the gates, cost half-a-penny fare in my day, a wooden tobacconist's hut was nearby, the nearest public house The Ridley Arms, locally known as the ' Willick ' (local dialect for whelk) overlooked the yard at the north end. I remember life boats and goods from famous ships being offered for sale, in the later years steam trains and double-decker buses were seen in the opposite storage yard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
interesting site my family lived right next door to the breakers in high ferry house sadly no longer there, my dad still tells me stories when he used to play in the ships which where being broken up , how lucky was he, the few times we visited ,
I was everywhere memories

·
Registered
3 Posts
memories

hi john do you still live at cambois ??
My Grandfather's first job was at Hughes Bolckow's yard at Cambois, he went there because he was too young to start at the pit, but always considered himself very fortunate to get that job. His first pay was given to him in a small tin with a lid with orders that it should be taken intact to his Mother. His first wage ? One Shilling. Upon reaching the age of fourteen he left to begin work at Cambois Colliery.
The correct address for ' Bolckow's Yard ' was North Blyth, the steam ferry to Blyth was just outside the gates, cost half-a-penny fare in my day, a wooden tobacconist's hut was nearby, the nearest public house The Ridley Arms, locally known as the ' Willick ' (local dialect for whelk) overlooked the yard at the north end. I remember life boats and goods from famous ships being offered for sale, in the later years steam trains and double-decker buses were seen in the opposite storage yard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,the Mauretania was broken up at Rosyth arriving on 4/7/35.So it may not have been from her.The fact that the plaque is on the back may suggest that it was from another ship that was broken up at Blyth
Cheers
Spartan
It could well be from the 'Mauritania'.

Thos.W. Ward at Inverkeithing, supplied HB with teak and other valuable hardwoods for re-cycling into other products, not only from the ships scrapped in Scotland, but other Ward's sites across the country.

If the plaque says R.M.S. Mauretania, it probably was from her; although she was not actually scrapped at Blyth.
This happened very frequently to many ships, over the course of the scrapping heydays.

HB was best equipped to carry on with this woodworking business.

ekd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
I'm looking for a list of passenger ships scrapped at Hughes Bolchow, probably sometime between 1950 and 1975. I have a poker which was supposedly made from the brass fittings of a chandelier from a ship during this time and hope to be able to narrow it down to a few choices.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Adelaide the following Liners were broken up between 1950 to 1957.

1950 Nova Lisboa
1951 Vasna
Shirala
Nyassa
1952 Tairea
1953 Mantola
City Of Canterbury
Antenor
1954 Modasa
1957 Tamaroa
The above being the last Liner to be broken up at the yard

Hope these few help your search