Ships Nostalgia banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for that Spartan.

None of the names ring a bell unfortunately so maybe I'm wrong about the passenger ship. I was told the name but its a long time ago now. Do you have a list of all of the ships broken up between 1950 - 75?

Thanks again

·
Registered
115 Posts
My Grandfather's first job was at Hughes Bolckow's yard at Cambois, he went there because he was too young to start at the pit, but always considered himself very fortunate to get that job. His first pay was given to him in a small tin with a lid with orders that it should be taken intact to his Mother. His first wage ? One Shilling. Upon reaching the age of fourteen he left to begin work at Cambois Colliery.
The correct address for ' Bolckow's Yard ' was North Blyth, the steam ferry to Blyth was just outside the gates, cost half-a-penny fare in my day, a wooden tobacconist's hut was nearby, the nearest public house The Ridley Arms, locally known as the ' Willick ' (local dialect for whelk) overlooked the yard at the north end. I remember life boats and goods from famous ships being offered for sale, in the later years steam trains and double-decker buses were seen in the opposite storage yard.
Hi Cambois John

Being born at 33 Worsdell Street North Blyth in 1938 I was curious to note that you mention Bolckow's "correct" address as North Blyth?
In Googling the address I find that it is "Battleship Warf Blyth" which seems to fit with my memories of the many trips back and forth across the river Blyth..
My father used to work as a 'Teamer' at the North Blyth Staiths hence I spent many happy hours watching the comings and goings at Bolckows on the Blyth side...
During the above 'Googling' I came across several interesting photographs taken at Bolckows...
Regards
Brian Brown

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Great Grandfather worked on the Tyne in the 1900's I have a brass plaque of the declaration of Independence, which I was told my Great Granddad, Joseph Summers, removed from the Captains Cabin or Bridge, during the dismantling of the ship. I am trying to find out if an American ship called the Independence was dismantled on the Tyne in the 1900's.
Do you or anyone else have any information?
regards
Christinek

·
Registered
2 Posts
S.S. Atlantis

I have a pretty well complete listing of ships broken up by this firm for the period 1908 to 1980. If anyone is interested in, or seeking information on any of the ships broken up by them send me an e-mail. The list includes warships, merchant ships, railroad trains, and even some buildings.

Joe
Hi Joe,

Do you have records for the RMS Atlantic ship, under White Star Line, it sank in 1873 on coast of Nova Scotia and I believe it went to Hughes Bolckow in which the teak from the wreckage was made into a bench that I currently have, the dates as to when this happened and how I received are yet to be determined. can you help at all?

kind regards,

Lynsay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Atlantis of Atlantic

Ok so far from this plaque on a bench I have possibility of two ships in which the wood is made. can anyone tell me if Hughes Bolckow Blyth Northumberland, received S.S. Atlantis or Atlantic to scrap, as so far Atlantic fits with its history however the plaque reads Atlantis in which from research was scrapped at Faslane Scotland in 1952.can anyone help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shipbreakers

I have a pretty well complete listing of ships broken up by this firm for the period 1908 to 1980. If anyone is interested in, or seeking information on any of the ships broken up by them send me an e-mail. The list includes warships, merchant ships, railroad trains, and even some buildings.

Joe
Hi Joe Hope you are still active as I am replying to your posting dated 2006. Would you have any information on the SS Begum
as have a bench made from teak taken from her and made at Blyth. I did some research and found a "Sam" boat the was converted to an aircraft carrier during the war that did service in the Mediteraneum and was named the Begum but was not broken up at the shipbreakers at Blyth. Regards John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hughes Bolckow Teak Garden Furniture

Hi I have just inherited some teak garden furniture that was made from the decking (?) taken from the RMS Armadale Castle. Could someone please let me know when the Armadale was destroyed. I am thinking it was around c1936. Not sure on it's value but after reading some of the posts I am getting quiet attached to it....

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
I was at Blyth in the coaster Camroux I with a cargo of scrap iron from Thomas Ward (Shipbreakers) Grays in 1938 -I think? I saw the liner Arlanza there being broken up..Can anyone confirm the date she was there please.
I was at Blyth again in November 1949 in the tanker San Roberto.
I made the final voyage of 11 months in San Roberto and after discharging cargo at Ghent we lay by for a few days while prospective buyers viewed the
ship for further trading but at 29 years old she was beyond it..
We then sailed for Blyth and berthed on Hughes Bolckow foe breaking up...
Stan

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Hi Spartan,
Many thanks for that.. I was sailing as mate in sailing barges from 1936 and one day I heard that the coaster Camroux I wanted a seaman and I got the job.
I was then told that I was relieving a seaman who wanted a few weeks off.
I remember it was in summer but not sure in which year but recalled seeing
a lot of furniture being taken off Arlanza so it must have been soon after she
was berthed there..Thankyou again.
Stan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cable and wireless ship broken at Bolckows

Hi, I am ex C&W and was wondering which C&W ship was broken at Bolckows in North Blyth? (70's I think)
cheers
P

161 - 180 of 203 Posts