Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
409 Posts
St Andrews Dock, I`m pretty sure?. That`s the Old Coaling Station in the background?. Dad`s been dead since 1978, so It`s a bit hard to ask him!. Dad, Grandad, and a Uncle all worked on the "conversion" from "Hispanolia", which lay at Scarborough for years after the film Treasure Island. There are a couple of other pictures in the set, and one has the Lord-Line Building in the background, by the look of it. Looking at the Funnel`s on the tugs (light with dark top) could have been "Buff" and Black, which would suggest United Towing.? This is in another old post on here;_
Sky Building Water Boat Cloud

Taken around 1960 (ish).

Pete

· Registered
409 Posts
The "Hispanolia", was originally converted from a Wooden Sailing Barge, so I` was told, mocked up for the Film Treasure Island. After the filming, It became under the "ownership" of Scarbrorough, Council or private? I am not sure. A platform of sorts was laid in the Harbour to allow it the "Take Ground". It was purchased for the conversion to the "Pequod", for The film Mobey Dick. All the mast spars and rigging where altered and renewed, as well as a lot of hull timber, to take the shape of a Whaler of the period, A lot of work was carried out on the slipway in St Andrews Dock, Many of the guys who did the work came from the various trades and different companies that served the Fishing Trawlers. Including My father and Grandfather both shipwrights, who had to go back the their basics to make a lot of new spars etc; Mostly hand finished with Add`s and Axes. My Uncle worked for Pearsons Riggers who supplied and fitted all the new rigging. she had a small diesel engine for manouevering, which had a reputation for packing up at the wrong moment!. The whaling Dories where fabricated from scratch, in Hull but I am not sure by whom.

Another Veiw of her :-

Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Naval architecture

The one At the Mere Scarborough, I remember well having been on it several times as a child on holliday.

I took my American Grandson to watch the "battle" on Peasholme as recently as 2017. I had to explain the background to him as he had no idea about the Action on the river plate. They do take a lot of Liberties with the truth though!!.

· Registered
409 Posts
I doubt if it is the one the used to be at Scarborough, in the Harbour, the one converted to become Pequod. (my earlier post) and was destroyed by fire whilst (Based?) at Morcambe 1976. The Other was a smaller vessel that plied the Mere.

There is also a replica of Cook`s ship Endevour, which is based in Whitby. As of April 2022 it was/is up for sale.

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts