Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In years gone by if you were to go to the far south eastern corner of KG & QE dock in Hull. When you looked over the dock wall you would see beached (in this instance is the correct term "mudded"?) a concrete vessel of some sort.

It appeared to be a small coaster or a barge with stern accomodation.

To my everlasting shame I never took a photograph. At the time I had just swallowed the anchor and was visiting foreign ships to repair all the nasty things the sparkie couldn't be bothered with so my reaction was "Oh that's nice" and just walked away.

The dock has changed somewhat since 1978 and extensions have probably buried it. I've tried Google mapping (Hull is a high resolution area) but can find no sign of it.

Does anyone know anything about it or have photos?

·
Banned
38 Posts
I don't have a great deal of knowledge regarding these but I think you will find a number of concrete tugs and barges were built during the second world war.
Regards
Peter4447

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I have recently discovered, & need to research further, that Concrete 'ships' were built in Poole, Dorset during WW1.
At the end of that war the yard managed to diversify into building houses. Precast concrete sections were used to construct social housing for Poole council. The houses were apparently expected to last about 50years but are still standing today.
Just think, if there had been a continued market for concrete ships from 1919, would any still be around now?

MIG.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Clockman said:
I have recently discovered, & need to research further, that Concrete 'ships' were built in Poole, Dorset during WW1..............
Just think, if there had been a continued market for concrete ships from 1919, would any still be around now?

MIG.
I believe Camper & Nicholson may have produced one or two concrete hulled yachts in the 50s.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Paedrig said:
I believe Camper & Nicholson may have produced one or two concrete hulled yachts in the 50s.
Yes I believe that there are quite a few around, I even came across one that was home built, but what I was dreaming about was the thought of an original 1918 concrete ship, still in service, or even laid up somewhere.

MIG.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
hi it was a cocrete barge it was sunk there and laid for yrars and had a marker light on it before Q.E.was built it looked as if ti was in the river so to speak that it when you looked at it from KING GEORGE DOCK but when q.e.was built you could wade accross the mud and climb on to it it was covered over to make part of the road way round the dock. sam

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Sam
Thanks for that. Do you remember when QE extension was built? I seem to remember that the container berth was already there in '78 and I had to drive round via the road just in from the river wall to get to the berths closer to the lockpit.
Cheers

·
Registered
186 Posts
Clockman said:
Yes I believe that there are quite a few around, I even came across one that was home built, but what I was dreaming about was the thought of an original 1918 concrete ship, still in service, or even laid up somewhere.

MIG.
Came across a reference to someone who worked at Harland & Wolfe in 1918 ,on concrete ships so perhaps Tmac on here might be able to help, given his connection with H & W.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
cannot remember the year but will get some paper work out and let you know i should know the years i had a lot to do with the build i had to referb the cutting heads of the two dredgers that came from holland to dredge the new dock and that is how the barge you ask about came close to the edge of the dock now all the silt from the new gock was pumped on to the mud flats next to saltendso you can see how far that barge was out into the humber the two dredgers where called HEJEX AND LINQUNDA THAY HAD 7FEET DIA CUTTING HEADS ON A BIG SHAFT cutting all and every thing in its way and sending it down a 24ins dia pipe about 3000 yards long up to saltend. going on the qe2 on tues cruise the med for two weeks so i will keep look out for you when i grt back on the 14 sept seeyou sam

·
Banned
38 Posts
One of the concrete barges was used for many years as the Headquarters of the Harwich Yacht Club, certainly in the 1950's and possibly the 60's. Not having been in that direction for many years it could still possibly be there!
Peter4447 (Thumb)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Google earth

The concrete tug "Cretehawse" is visble in the mud of the river Wear at Sunderland less than mile west of The Manxman which is near the Queen Alexander bridge .i believe the tug was damaged in an air raid WW2 and beached there .

·
1,234 Posts
Just to the north of SHARPNESS DOCKS there are quite a few concrete barges (about 10 -20 I think) that were moored on the embankment to stop the erosion by the river, there is now a book (just printed) that give the names and details of the barges.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just for the record there is a concrete ship built around 1915 as part of the marina in Carlingford lough. Its still afloat just about. It was called the Cretegaffe. i'll dig out the history of it and post it on this thread.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
There were a number of concrete barges built for use on the Thames. Some still around,one for example at Lambath bridge used for moorings.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Concrete

Surprised no one has mentioned "Mulberry Harbour" The Thames and Medway have many of the pontoon barges about and no doubt elsewhere. Pete

1 - 20 of 39 Posts