Ships Nostalgia banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I stand corrected guys you are right they did fly the Saltire with the HH flag.
The memory is starting to fail on some things and that is the second thing to go!!!!
Joined the Baron Murray in Rothesay Dock Glasgow in June 1954, my first trip.
In true Hogarth style all the crew were paid off and the apprentices did everything.
The downhall on the flagpole of the Saltire on the foremast had come adrift and someone had to go up and retrieve it. There was only me another first tripper and the senior cadet with three and a half years in
The senior cadet was not going up to the truck of the foremast with two first trippers on the gantline.
I said I would go up as I was not afraid of heights.
It was much higher than I imagined and vibrating
I clung on so hard to the gantlin that my index finger went into the sheave at the truck and I have the scar to this day.
Good ole 1950's health and safety.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Alex Loveday

Hi I servied my time in Hogarths 1952/6 All Baron ship flew the Saltire. in the 20the centary. The story goes to distanc them from anther co many years ago. Caswell.
It's. a long shot, but wonder if you or other ship mates of this era recall an apprentice called Alex Loveday - ex Woolverstone Hall?

·
Registered
961 Posts
LOL! Hungry Hogarth was a company that I was warned to stay away from my very first voyage as an apprentice, in 1968. I would not have touched them with a bargepole! Anyone, who was not a first tripper must have known about them--they were, to be polite, extremely well known in the profession.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
On completing the three month pre sea course at the Nav. School in John St. Glasgow in 1960 I went for an interview with H. Hogarth and got bawled out by the Marine Super for not having a sextant, hardly had a chance to purchase one! rather shocked and taken aback I got up and walked out. Maybe I just caught him on a bad day, or on the other hand maybe it was a lucky escape.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
All,
In another life I knew a lady who had married into the family.
She was shocked when I enlightened her as to reputation of the "Parish rigged B------s".

Yours aye,
slick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Served my time on Baron Boats and later on as they became part of Scottish Ship Management. Four years hard graft but learned a great deal about life, although not a lot of the finer points of navigation!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Baron Pentland. You were well looked after with bunk lights we were 4 in a cabin 8x10 Baaron Herries 1952/4. Caswell Roger Jones

·
Registered
961 Posts
LOL! Hungry Hogarth was a company that I was warned to stay away from my very first voyage as an apprentice, in 1968. I would not have touched them with a bargepole! Anyone, who was not a first tripper must have known about them--they were, to be polite, extremely well known in the profession.
I wrote 1968. I'd been ashore 5 years, by then! I meant 1948.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm doing family research for my father, Captain Thomas McLeod and grandfather, Captain Ernest Fisher who both served Hogarths. I should be very grateful if anyone has any memories of their service on board the many vessels they served on. Many thanks,

·
Registered
497 Posts
I sailed with them for a couple of trips mid 70's and found them pretty good i must admit but under SSM so not under Hungary Hogarths. Had a good couple of trips and great ports so can't complain and no complaints with the food either.

·
Registered
18,696 Posts
I sailed with them for a couple of trips mid 70's and found them pretty good i must admit but under SSM so not under Hungary Hogarths. Had a good couple of trips and great ports so can't complain and no complaints with the food either.
I keep telling them that Stevie but they won't listen. They don't know what they missed.

John T

·
Registered
58 Posts
I sailed with SSM mid 70s good runs and great time ,food was good , moved on to Jardines but they were not in any way any better than SSM

·
Registered
497 Posts
I keep telling them that Stevie but they won't listen. They don't know what they missed.

John T
How long were you there? I did maiden voyage on the Cape Rodney then Cape Horn and briefly on Baron Renfrew before i ended up on the boxboats for 21 years. Still at sea yet but on local ferries in Orkney.

·
Registered
18,696 Posts
How long were you there? I did maiden voyage on the Cape Rodney then Cape Horn and briefly on Baron Renfrew before i ended up on the boxboats for 21 years. Still at sea yet but on local ferries in Orkney.
About three years with SSM, '71 -74. Cape Clear, Baron Ardrossan and Cape Leeuwin. Only left because of a disagreement over money.

Sailed on the ferries from Scrabster to Stromness, Kirkwall to Lerwick and Lerwick to Aberdeen a couple of years ago. Excellent service. Keep up the good work.

John T

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'm doing family research for my father, Captain Thomas McLeod and grandfather, Captain Ernest Fisher who both served Hogarths. I should be very grateful if anyone has any memories of their service on board the many vessels they served on. Many thanks,
I sailed on the Baron Kinnkaid as first mate with Tom McLeod as master.
This was in 1967 and a very memorable trip it was. Never did I experience a crew like this and I hoped not to. The Captain and I
were not the best of acquaintances towards the end and this was not a good thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Late April-Early May 1960

I was in the Prescott Street Pool got a PC5 for the Baron Berwick. An old AB, in the queue ahead of me turned and said "keep clear of Hogarth's​, son". Through ignorance​ or arrogance I ignored him and joined​ her in the Surrey Docks. She was unloading timber and due to be in port for a few days so I went home for the night. I arrived​ back in the morning about nine. "Where’ve you been." roared the Chief Steward. "Home to get my gear" said I. "Don't bother unpacking​" he said. That was my career with "Hungry Hogarth's​".;

·
Registered
497 Posts
About three years with SSM, '71 -74. Cape Clear, Baron Ardrossan and Cape Leeuwin. Only left because of a disagreement over money.

Sailed on the ferries from Scrabster to Stromness, Kirkwall to Lerwick and Lerwick to Aberdeen a couple of years ago. Excellent service. Keep up the good work.

John T
Hi John, I took voluntery redundancy from the boxboats in Dec'98 then was on the Contender which ran from Kirkwall to Invergordon which wrapped up in April 2001 then did a trip with Arklow and now currantly with Pentland Ferries for the past 19 years which run from St Margaret's Hope to Gills Bay which is a family run business...guess i'll be here till i retire now! When did you move out to Aussie?

·
Registered
18,696 Posts
Hi Stevie, just thought, when I said "I sailed" on those ferries, I meant as a passenger, not working. They were pretty good ferries though. Your ferry is quicker over to Orkney but I wanted to get a look at the Old Man of Hoy for sentimental reasons.

Been Downunder for 40 years but still can't say "G'day". All the best.

John T

101 - 119 of 119 Posts