Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Good old steamer trunk!
s.s. RYNDAM Sailing from Montreal to Rotterdam, 1960.
Holland America Line
TERRORIST CLASS ..... B DECK midships, outside with two berths and 1 Pullman. Washbasin only. WC, Male and female, showers further aft. Wait in line!

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
A fine cabin trunk of its day. Not the top quality but adequate. Looks to be made of metal with wood, metal banding and composite fibre corners, brass plated steel lock set.
It could be tarted up to look really smart but interior designers prefer the 'patina'.
Apart from the added castors the other 'up-cycle' modification is a plate glass top resting on rubber buffers which would further preserve the condition.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Hi Malcom.... 'Cabin' trunk... a 'steamer trunk'! Note sticker on side. It says 'BAGGAGE ROOM'. These trunks would not fit in any of the cabins! Three berth cabin on RYNDAM... so small there is not enough room to stand up. The Cabin No. 478 measures roughly 8 x 11 ft, about 88 sq ft. On this type of voyage in this type of vessl the trunk goes in the Baggage Room. If you wanted to take items then you need a sticker that say, 'Wanted on Voyage'. The Baggage Master would make the room open at certain times and he would make the trunk would be put out for you. Not for ever day because there might be a lot of people l trying to access their trunks. Two bunks, one pulman. Three lockers. One basin. 1 chair, on small table, 1 small stool.

On RYNDAM.... leave the cabin, No 478, (roughly midships, B Deck), walk forward and almost forward and there was a stairwell going down to the Baggage Room on C Deck. This is right at the tween deck for No. 2 Hold. Easy one. Not far at all! Montreal to Rotterdam, 10 or 11 days. North Atlantic. Not really a 'cruise'.

Even QE2 had a large Baggage Room, well, she was designed as a 'liner'. As cruise ship, if the cruise was longer than usual, passengers would leave suitcases in the Baggage Room. Better than filling space in the cabin. Today if you asked the steward to stow your suitcase in a locker they might do it for you. 99% cruise passenger would not even to know they could do it. Stewards would do anything for a tip!

I am looking at a nice deck plan of RYNDAM. I sailed in STEFAN BATORY (es MAASDAM). My cabin was an inside and had 2 beds....quite a but smaller than the cabin shown above! Honestly, I have seen crew accommodations on small ships with better!

Stephen

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
Cabin trunk, yes I know it's Steamer trunk.
As the one in the picture has obviously been 'upcycled', as they call it, I was just using the name which the modern day interior designers use. ;)

What slightly amused me about the label was that instead of 'checking' where the baggage was to be placed the person has crossed out where it was NOT to be placed. One gets the feeling that they have had problems with this 'checking' business before and were taking no chances.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
The name of the passenger... J. Yerbeeck, sounds Dutch. Sound like someone who is making trip to his old country. Good possibility he & family did the western voyage in RYNDAM or MAASDAM and with that knowledge they said, "I don't wont that blo*dy thing in the cabin this time!!!!"

A couple of mine, Leo and Tinneke Vanderryst emigrated to Canada in 1953 in RYNDAM, Rotterdam to Halifax and then by rail to Vancouver. Tinneke kept ever scrap of paper and photo that they had on the RYNDAM, all now in bound books. A real treasure. Leo and Tinneke and I sailed in the RYNDAM on the maiden voyage, not the old one, this was the new vessel in 1994.

Stephen

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cabin trunk, yes I know it's Steamer trunk.
As the one in the picture has obviously been 'upcycled', as they call it, I was just using the name which the modern day interior designers use. ;)

What slightly amused me about the label was that instead of 'checking' where the baggage was to be placed the person has crossed out where it was NOT to be placed. One gets the feeling that they have had problems with this 'checking' business before and were taking no chances.
The crossing out is pre printed,, no State rooms in tourist

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
The crossing out is pre printed,, no State rooms in tourist
Yes, of course, logical and sensible.
spoils the spontaneous humour…
I was going by the fact that the crossing out is the same colour ink as all the writing, a coincidence I suppose.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
A five year old could make a straight line better than what was done by the 'printer'. :)

All passengers have 'staterooms. That is the correct for a cabin, unless you are travelling in 'steerage', BI would call it 'unberthed passengers'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts