Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 years on the Aussi coast I walked in to the Port Line office in Sydney in 1975 with the ink still wet on my Ist Mates Certificate, and said I wanted to join a British company and to take my wife to sea with me. They wouldn't let me out of the office until I had signed a contract, but stressed that I was joining Cunard, not Port Line. I sailed on the ACT 6, Cunard Cavalier, & Cunard Calamanda as second mate and the Maihar as Chief officer. A great way to bring up my time for Masters. I was offered the QE2 but my wife said no - so am I really a Cunarder????

·
Registered
76 Posts
G'Day Mike, we sailed on the Maihar together, I was 3rd mate and we both had our wives with us. Do you remember the shrimp curry Sunil DeSilva organised in Calcutta? It was pretty hot only Janet and I were able to eat it all! I am still involved in maritime matters, living in the US and still married to Lorraine. There is a facebook site for Cunard Shipping Services - Cargo Division. Hope you are keeping well..
Regards
Dick Grenville

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dick/Mike,
Were we on the Maihar together in 1977. Sam Baxter was old man and Ken Basket C/E with me as 2/E.

I met a deck cadet in Galveston off the Texas Clipper, Debbie who followed the ship to New Orleans along with classmate Joan.

Married her in September 1979 after she graduated and moved to Houston in 1980 and been here ever since and still married.

Mervyn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts