Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very sorry to see that he had passed away recently just one day short of his 93rd birthday.
Responsible if that's the right term for promoting in the main railway enthusiasm or trainspotting, his abc books became famous. He later of course brought out abc shipping books and in the late 1960s the first Ocean Ships edited by Bert Moody editions of which over the years became the bible for ship enthusiasts everywhere.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Train spotting near home with Ian Allen book ..... hard to imagine kids here in the States being allowed to do it. My mother bought his books for me all the time and am sure they contributed to my learning. RIP

·
Registered
821 Posts
Pre. computer days it was the only way to obtain the information on your favourite mode of transport. He was a man with great vision, not many of them around these days. He will be a sad loss.

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
Pre. computer days it was the only way to obtain the information on your favourite mode of transport. He was a man with great vision, not many of them around these days. He will be a sad loss.
Certainly would agree with the above, things have moved on a bit when it comes to reference books I was in Smiths today where they were selling a Haynes Manual on the Spitfire Aircraft.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Certainly would agree with the above, things have moved on a bit when it comes to reference books I was in Smiths today where they were selling a Haynes Manual on the Spitfire Aircraft.
As long as they don't sell a manual on the care, maintenance and operation of your WE177, we can sleep peacefully at night. (Jester)

Roy.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Once a year or so two or three of us kids living in the street ,would pester our Mums for the fare to Kings Cross (although we lived along side the Main Kings cross to Scotland Line) about five stops! armed with a little bag ,containg the latest ALLEN book, to stand in the steam all day hoping for at LEAST fifty new numbers AND MAYBE ??? a sight of THE FLYING SCOTSMAN!!....happy days, when the world was different. Rest in Peace Mr. Allen K:M:

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Chad, I got a Haynes manual on the Concord at Cosford museum!!!

JJ.

·
1,234 Posts
I have several of his books, Trains and ships and always looking for more.
Thank you Mr Allan, your books helped fill in the gaps I had in my research.

by the way Haynes manuals, the latest I have to my collection is the starship Enterprise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts