Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A rare view of the Shaw Savill "I" class Iberic at Felixstowe on P&O charter with equipment for the new container berths. Built 1961 11,248gt. Became the Deseado for Royal Mail

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Flag Etiquette

Interesting to see the house flag on the Starboard Yard of the foremast. Maybe tjis was because they had to fly the P&O Cahreters flag too?
Sailed on this ship during my cadetship - in the days when on the Aussie & Kiwi Coast there was quite a "din" at 0800 with 8 bells rung on the forecastle whilst Ensign was raised and courtesy flag, stem flag and houseflag were all broken out simultaneously.
In those dim and distant days there used to be enough cadets to perform this function on all SSA ships plus of course NZS, Federal, Port Line, Blue Star plus the odd Blue Flue!
However the House Flag was always flown from the Main Mast on Iberic. I thought only Brockebanks ships were allowed to fly the House Flag from the Foremast??

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also had to be part of the same ritual - and the Second Mate was in charge - however later on older ships this rigmerole was abandoned. Trying to execute this act with a hangover was difficult, a spell in a refrigerated locker soon sorted out the head!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sailed on her for 18 months from March 1970 till Sept 1971 on the Aussie Kiwi run also did a double header to the East coast of the States and Canada.Great experiance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shaw savill Iberic

I am sure someone will tell me different.
But I am sure I did the maiden voyage on this ship.
Run Job 22/23 March 1962 Victoria Docks to Avonmouth.
28th March 62 to 11th July 62 Captain Smith
Do remember it was not one of my best trips.
I was at that time Jim Pigg assistant Steward.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Waiwera, note your comment about House flags etc, yes it was a great sound at 0800 when all the "home boats" in port rang 8 bells and broke out the flags, in my day, the 4/0 watched the chronometer, then blew his whistle precisely at 0800 for the cadets to breakout the house flags and hoist the ensign, often we would notice some ship was late and her bell would still be ringing when others had finished - presumably a timing problem!
With regard to the above photo of IBERIC and the H/Flag on starboard yard arm, it correctly should be flown from mainmast, but with the "I" class ships the H/Flag would always get caught up in the poor halyard arrangement at the mainmast truck and end up getting ripped, so eventually the H/flag was flown on the foremast yardarm, portyard when abroad with courtesy ensign on starboard yard. This photo shows ship in UK and "Owners flag" with precedence over "Charteres" flag.
Incidently I stood by IBERIC as C/O before she was renamed DESEADO and put on the RML service, I think in 1976.

Brgds John B.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Hi Aristo
I was 3/0 on Icenic for 6 months in 1972 and can confirm that there was no passenger accommodation.

Aristo said:
Did those ships of the "I" class had any passenger accommodations?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks gadgee, they did had quite a large superstructure, that's why I suspected that they might carried some passengers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sailed on her for 18 months from March 1970 till Sept 1971 on the Aussie Kiwi run also did a double header to the East coast of the States and Canada.Great experiance.
you may remember me tommy martin deck hand i sailed on her from jan 71to jan73 from liverpool

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,606 Posts
Just caught up with this thread. Interesting that the Iberic was at Felixstowe delivering Container crane bits.
A supreme piece of irony there, with old handing over the new.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I sailed on the Iberic for 6 months in 1969, UK Kiwi then Mexico, east coast US and Montreal then back to the UK.
Capt. Gunning was master, 3 leckies 3 reefer engineers, numerous junior engineers and a 4th mate, 2 bars, largest crew I ever sailed I think it was about 60 all told.
In BA many years later, I went onboard her, she was then the Deseado of Royal Mail, even in 1969, containers were seen as a death knell for these fine cargo ships.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Iberic Double header

Hi John,
I was 3rd Eng on that trip. I'm sure that I have a picture of you and me
standing down below on the bottom plates. I'll try to dig it out and maybe put it on line.
Best regards
Ian Wilkinson (Wilkie)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hullo Wilkie; I also had experience of the Iberic, standing by during May 1970 as 1st.Leckie, with a coastal from London to Liverpool between 22May and 29May. The main reason for my response though is that I sailed with you on the Mightiest A Boat of them all"Aramaic. Many memories but one that sticks out is a particularly boozy Christmas in Mt. Maunganuii. You played a mean guitar and we thought we could sing.Have already made contact with Mike Earp (NZ) and Graham Barret(Aus.) from those heady times.Would like to know what transpired with the rest of the mob(Alfie Croston/Neville Thomas et al.
All of the best Wilkie.
Barry(Mac) Macauley.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Ian & Mac,
Best wishes to you both.
Seem to remember that Aramaic trip rather well.
Mac won the "Blue Max" on the Kiwi coast.

Bert (2Eng) & Carol Campbell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aramaic

Hi Ian & Mac,
Best wishes to you both.
Seem to remember that Aramaic trip rather well.
Mac won the "Blue Max" on the Kiwi coast.

Bert (2Eng) & Carol Campbell
Hi Bert and Carol.
Good to hear from you again. The 'Christmas in Kiwi' was quite an unforgettable trip.
Really good crowd of lads. Going to sea is not and will never again be such a great way of life. Wonder how many people understand BJ Mac's 'Blue Max' title ?? We are a very fortunate age group. '!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unbelievable, lost your E-mail address wheelkey (wilkie) after making contact 2/3 years ago. Found this site recently and when checking it today here you are. Love to catch up personally. Best trip I did was as 2nd leckie on Iberic with you, many many happy memories, particularly those two sisters in Perth!!!!

Rod

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Now that's what i call seafaring/a trip to sea. Bet you had some fun!
Mick S

1 - 20 of 32 Posts