Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q1. What is known as the Scandinavian Pompii.?

Q2. Where does the word geyser come from.?

Q3. What was the Althing.?

Q4. What was the "Viking Horse"?

·
Banned
48 Posts
2. The name Geyser comes from Geysir, the name of an erupting spring at Haukadalur, Iceland; that name, in turn, comes from the Icelandic verb gjósa, "to gush".

3. Althing is the National Parliament: of Iceland literally, the "all-thing" (or Assembly of All Things)

I will pass on the other two.

Tonga

·
Banned
48 Posts
Q 4. Seems to be “what it says on the tin” – i.e. a pure breed horse that the first Icelandic settlers brought with them from Norway in the 10th century AD – Not quite Sadlers Wells, but still a fine looking animal.

Tonga

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Q1. sorry, Arden 4. Wrong ans. Locals call Mount Hekla "t The devils gateway".

Q2. Word comes from Geysir A hot spring, In Thingvellir Natioal Park......Tonga.........
Well done.

Q3. Ealiest Parliament in Europe. Was held in the open air from 930 to 1944.....Tonga...
...Well done.
Q4. A pony according to legend, served as a holy oracle. Icelandic ponies are famous the world over........Tonga.......Well done.
Q1 What is known as the Scandinavian Pompii??

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Barney

Question 1 is it not the archaelogical site discovered called Nipaatsaaq Farm as per next paragraph

Six centuries later, the Nipaatsoq farm archaeological site, heralded by the Scandinavian press as the Viking Pompeii, suggests a new explanation: climate change. Glacial sands buried Nipaatsoq in the early 1400s, preserving many of the site's organic artifacts in permafrost

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Morning, Gdynia. I have a atlas, about eight years old. it has loose leaf pages with info about each country. It also has these little quiz's. So i only know what is written here. You may be right. thats why I have given some answers as right when they have been near to my answer.
The Q and ans i have for this one is:
What is Known as the, "Scandinavian Pompii."?
Heimaey, the mainIsland of the Vestmannaeyiar archipelago,which was engulfed by lava in 1973. Thanks for doing the quiz, Gdynia.
All the best.
Barney.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts