Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am writing up stories of my time at sea mainly for my kids and grandkids. My first ship had Indian crew and I am trying to remember some of the Indian job titles

Serang - Boson
Casab - Eng Rm storekeeper
Tindel - can't remember what he did
Bhandari - was this the cook for the crew or officers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi,
I am writing up stories of my time at sea mainly for my kids and grandkids. My first ship had Indian crew and I am trying to remember some of the Indian job titles

Serang - Boson
Casab - Eng Rm storekeeper
Tindel - can't remember what he did
Bhandari - was this the cook for the crew or officers

SERANG
BOSUN
TINDEL
BOSUN'S MATE
SEACUNNY
QUATERMASTER
CASSUB
STOREMAN
LASCAR
SEAMAN
2nd class Lascar (ordinary seaman), 1st class Lascar (able Seaman)
TOPASS
CLEANER
BHANDARY
COOK
KUSSAB
LAMPTRIMMER

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bhandary was the crew's cook. Some ships had a deck bhandary and an engine room bhandary. Some officers went native and hung around the bhandary's galley in their lungis poncing curry - dunno why, they must have liked cockroaches.

John T
I thought that but was not sure.
From what I remember there were cockroaches everywhere

·
Registered
92 Posts
How about some of lingo, like good morning, sarb and other general chatter, my memory is shot.
By the way the most important man on the ship 'JACKIE' one of the unclean-classless??, according to the rest of the Indian crew- Jackies Duties Toilet cleaner.

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
Tail Wallah - Oiler
Just remembered also "Mistree" , the "Chippy". Got an idea there was a name for the laundryman but can't remember what, probably "Pani somat". For myself, I was a "Marconi Sahib" even when I didn't work for that company.

John T

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just remembered also "Mistree" , the "Chippy". Got an idea there was a name for the laundryman but can't remember what, probably "Pani somat". For myself, I was a "Marconi Sahib" even when I didn't work for that company.

John T
Laundryman = Dhobi Wallah
Happy days
gwzm (ex Marconi Sahib)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Washing powder - Dhobi Dust

On an all Indian crew ship and we had an Indian Independence day party. The officers were all invited to the crew mess room and there was loads of drink and food and a lot of singing and dancing. There were a few young Indian deck boys who were on their first trip and they had never had alcohol before and they all ended up the next day with raging headaches. They went to the Chief Steward and said they had demons in their heads so he got aspirins and band-ads and stuck the aspirin to their forehead with the band-ads and told them by the afternoon they would be ok and they were. Many years later I tried this trick on my own kids when they had a sore head without success.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Of course, how could I forget.

John T
Remember giving a bhandari a ticking off (in good humour) because he had a gannet tied down by one leg outside their galley.We were in fog sailing up to walvis Bay and I think the creature must have collided with the superstructure judging by his bloodied bill;think he was still concussed, anyway he was heading for the pot ,no doubt about it ,until my intervention (I,m a huge nature lover) and subsequent release while wearing welding gloves.Bhandari not too happy but I gotta book my place in valhalla.

·
Registered
190 Posts

John T
Chippy in brocks was lackry mistree Electrician was battysahib engineers?can't remember panic was water ask raymon he may know a little more 😉 tony

·
Registered
729 Posts
Chippy in brocks was lackry mistree Electrician was battysahib engineers?can't remember panic was water ask raymon he may know a little more 😉 tony
tunda panni = cold water
garram panni = hot water
sanni pannI = engineer slang for toilet flush water
happy days,
gwzm

·
Premium Member
10,658 Posts
No gourmet you, John T, to turn your nose up at the bhandary's curry.

(Small-morning-time electrician - engine cadet understudying lecky).

·
Registered
983 Posts
And if the Panni wasn't sufficiently tunda you asked for or added Burruf (ice)

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
No gourmet you, John T, to turn your nose up at the bhandary's curry.

(Small-morning-time electrician - engine cadet understudying lecky).
No thanks David. The nearest I got was the civilised morning kedgeree in the saloon - yummo. They picked the cockies out and the weevils were all dead.

I do remember a bhandary half killing himself humping that big stone thing they used for grinding curry paste and whatnot up to the Chief Steward. He reckoned it was worn out and he wanted to order a new one. The Chief Steward told him to F off. I bet someone is still using that thing down Grant Road today.

John T

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember being asked by new crew members if the ship used "up and downy steam"? Wanted to know if the supply was AC or DC. Bloody old (very old) Clan boat - what else was it going to be!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts