Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember the coaster 'Indorita' - she plied the Irish Sea sailing into Holyhead on a few occasions. Often wonder what happened to her and/or who acttually owned her. Think she was Goole registered. :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
MV Indorita, 201 tons built 1920 by I J Abdela & Mitchell, Queensferry.
108.6 x 22.1 x 9.4. Oil engine by Bollinger 2Cy 2S CSA. machinery aft. Registered Chester. British flag. Owned by Coppack Bros & Co;.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
Bit far to push but.....wonder what happened to her? (*))

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I was an apprentice ship fitter in Birkenhead (William Cubbin's)
I had the pleasure of working on the Indorita , doing some repairs, she had a very unique Bollinder engine, Swiss I believe. It was a two cylinder job, with a big blow lamp on each cylinder head that was fired by methylated spirits. you had to heat the cylinder head up before you tried to start the main engine. I actually sailed up the dock, and so got to experience the engine running.
That engine should have definatelyhave ended up in a museum.
She had a sister ship who's name escapes me
She was owned by Coppack Bros but carried cargo for Shotton iron works
Geoff Bray

·
Banned
21 Posts
Indorita
Built by Abdela and Mitchell’s Queensferry, for John Summers Steel Works, Shotton. Launched 1920 and in service 1921. Inward cargoes of pig iron from Workington, ***bria and outward cargoes of steel sheets and basic ash. Dimensions 108’ x 22’ x 10’. Re-engined in 1958 with Crossley 240 b.h.p engine. Working life ended 1970.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hello Geoff Bray. Been mulling over your post for some weeks and have finally dredged up some old notes from my boyhood ship spotting days. I think the name of the other Coppack Bros., vessel your were thinking of was the "Fleurita". She was not a sister though having been built earlier in 1913 and smaller at 171 gross. They have a few other old coasters, namely, "Bolham", "Hove" (I believe she may have been a steamer) and a slightly more modern "Normanby Hall". I have no idea what became of them. Always regarded them as a bit curious, probably on account of their age though why I should have taken this view I don't know being as I first went to sea on a ship built in 1896! Ho hum!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Duquesa
Yes I remember the Fleurita now, I also remember and worked on the "Hove" she was a steamer. The Normanby Hall was a diesel coaster, I also remember the "Point of Aye" that was on the north wales run.
I was an apprentice in the ship repair business
Best Regards
Geoff Bray

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
She was sold in 1971 to J.A.Hind, Bikenhead, who had hoped to bring her back into trading but nothing came of it and she was towed to Gijon, Spain in March 1974 to be scrapped. She did have a sister-ship though. ---- The ELDORITA, also built by I.J.Abdela and Mitchell Ltd; Queensferry in 1920 for John Summers, with a similar engine and also 108.6' x 22.1' x 9.4', 201 gt and 99 nt. Sold in 1946 to Hugh Shaw, Arlingham, Gloucester. and re-engined in 1949 with a 1935 Ruston and Hornsby Ltd; engine. Sold in 1963 to Colchester Shipping Co; Essex. On the 12th. Dec. 1966 she sank after developing severe leaks about 35 miles NNW of the Hook of Holland on voyage from S****horpe to Utrect with a cargo of beans. Crew saved..

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Indorita/Eldorita

An ex colleague of mine George Gray from the Moray Firth was master of either the 'Indorita' or the 'Eldorita', I forget which, his son sailed with him as a crew member, I remember the Coppack fleet well. in the 50s and 60s.
Bruce.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Hello Geoff Bray. Been mulling over your post for some weeks and have finally dredged up some old notes from my boyhood ship spotting days. I think the name of the other Coppack Bros., vessel your were thinking of was the "Fleurita". She was not a sister though having been built earlier in 1913 and smaller at 171 gross. They have a few other old coasters, namely, "Bolham", "Hove" (I believe she may have been a steamer) and a slightly more modern "Normanby Hall". I have no idea what became of them. Always regarded them as a bit curious, probably on account of their age though why I should have taken this view I don't know being as I first went to sea on a ship built in 1896! Ho hum!
Normanby Hall,332 tons, wrecked off Kilroot,Ireland 1965 ,cargo flour/cattlefodder, Birkenhead/Belfast

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
On leaving school in 1950 I worked in a shipbrokers office in Manchester (A.E. Bowen Ltd.) who were agents for Coppack Bros. The "Indorita", "Eldorita" and "Normanby Hall" did the occasional trip to Pomona Dock in Manchester with Granite chippings and Dust from Penmaenmawr and Trevor, N.Wales.
I got a taste for the sea by going aboard all the ships with the mail, wages etc. and after 18 months I packed the job in and went to sea.
Trader.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Peter,
R.S Fenton gives all the gen about Indorita and Coppack's other vessel in his 'Cambrian Coasters.' Tom Coppack's book 'A lifetime with ships' is also a great read.
She was built for Summers in 1920 and bought by Coppacks along with Fleurita after the war. Indorita got a 6 cylinder Crossley engine in 1958. She was adapted as a drilling rig during the sixties and worked in the Mersey and off Wylfa Head in Anglesey. I She was sold to JA Hind of B'head in 1971 and in 1974 was towed to Huelva for breaking.
Hope this is helpful
Ken Davies

·
Registered
9 Posts
idorita

i sailed on both the indorita and normanby hall in the 60,s. the skipper of the idorita was dai jones from connah,s quay, and the normanby hall wich sank off kilroot ireland was skippered by frank sweet from shotton
laphroig20

·
Registered
9 Posts
indorita

the skipper was f sweet mate jack catherine chief eng jim fitzgerald2nd eng jgallagher deckhands john lenton, dai williams ,cook smudger smith
indoita skjpper bill jones mate kevin duggan chief eng j gallagher

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bolinder engine

When I was an apprentice ship fitter in Birkenhead (William Cubbin's)
I had the pleasure of working on the Indorita , doing some repairs, she had a very unique Bollinder engine, Swiss I believe. It was a two cylinder job, with a big blow lamp on each cylinder head that was fired by methylated spirits. you had to heat the cylinder head up before you tried to start the main engine. I actually sailed up the dock, and so got to experience the engine running.
That engine should have definatelyhave ended up in a museum.
She had a sister ship who's name escapes me
She was owned by Coppack Bros but carried cargo for Shotton iron works
Geoff Bray
Bolinder engines was swedish engines. There might be that they was licensed to other countries but the orginal was swedish.
BR
Björn

·
Registered
2 Posts
My late father in law was Kevin Duggan, he spoke for years about the Indorita, Fleurita and Normanby Hall which he was aboard at time it sank. Does anybody remember him please? I have a very small poor quality photo of him aboard Indorita, does anyone have any better pics please? Alf

·
Registered
9 Posts
fleurita

the fleurita was sold to the glenlight shipping glasgow and sank just off islay, she had been renamed limelight by this time

1 - 20 of 33 Posts