Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lap top but seldom use it since it changed from windows 7 t0 10 and i have become more familiar with my ipad.
The iPad is about 9 years old and trouble free until this morning when it initially fired up OK then went to a lit up but blank screen.
Sent a mail to local apple support and a prompt answer told me that at that age it is probably terminal and expensive to repair if not.

I understand that the latest model is streets ahead of my oldie but i worry about the stack of information and writing on the old one and would like to ask if it is possible to easily recover data from the corpse!

guidance from an SN expert might pre arm me before I go to the local Apple retailer.

Thanks Bob

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Bob, there are several very good Aps and devices that you can plug into the ipad. IXpandDrive is one and the other is iplugmate I have both and they work great, they are small flash drive with a USB on one end and the connection for apple on the other. When I get too many photos on my iphone or ipad I use them to download them to make more room on my devices. Of course you must have a Ipad that will boot up. Also sync your ipad with tunes could help.

You can also try this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Bob, I have an old iPad too and it went blank so I couldn't do anything with it. I took it to the space age Apple Shop and showed it to a 13 year old girl. She took the iPad and pressed the on off button at the top right hand side and the home button down the bottom at the same time. She held them down for a few seconds and Bingo, it came back to life! It's happened a couple of times since and I've brought it back the same way. Maybe it will work for you.

Hope I'm not teaching you how to suck eggs!

All the best, John T.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John, I have just replied to JR's post when up popped yours .
You have now been promoted to Chief egg sucker for the day as your advice has put the pad back in service .
I did push all the buttons etc but not in the right sequence or hold hold down period .
We will see how it goes for now but I was warming to Pam's insistence that I need a new one !
As a reward for your assistance I can advise that that gem of the cooking
world , Nigella , is coming to Australia in about three months time to assist with a big launch of NZ's Whittikers Chocolate on the Aussie market .
I'll give her your email .
Regards Bob

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
John, I have just replied to JR's post when up popped yours .
You have now been promoted to Chief egg sucker for the day as your advice has put the pad back in service .
I did push all the buttons etc but not in the right sequence or hold hold down period .
We will see how it goes for now but I was warming to Pam's insistence that I need a new one !
As a reward for your assistance I can advise that that gem of the cooking
world , Nigella , is coming to Australia in about three months time to assist with a big launch of NZ's Whittikers Chocolate on the Aussie market .
I'll give her your email .
Regards Bob
Glad it worked, Bob. As I always say, if you want something fixing, get a 13 year old! Not sure if the new iPads are any better, but if you want one ... I'm not going to tell Pam!

I've gone all squishy now, thinking of Nigella licking my Whittaker's Sampler!

John T

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Gosh, question and answer all before I got up..
I would just add that it might help if you completely shut down and restart your iPad from time to time, also let the battery run down before you recharge, this has nothing to do with old type battery memory effect but the software which controls the power can get 'confused'.

Typed on my old iPad 4 - still going strong.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I lost my old 6 yr old iPad, a black screen with a pic of a power cable on it. Rang Apple, tried various resets to reboot. Apple sent me a box through the post to send my iPad back, if it’s a hardware failure it’s covered by their warranty no matter the age. Received an iPad Air 2 replacement. Connected to iCloud and all my data came back.
I now have an Air 3 for more capacity, but they flex easily so may crack screen ( Cannot be repaired ) suggest you stick with latest ordinary iPad or go for the Pro.
Bob

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I now have an Air 3 for more capacity, but they flex easily so may crack screen ( Cannot be repaired ) suggest you stick with latest ordinary iPad or go for the Pro.
Bob
Yes you can get a screen replaced, however, if it is anything like the earlier 'air' models then once the case is bent then it is extremely difficult to get it flat again.
So, agree with your suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts