Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well maybe bit closer to home.
This year I have noticed a greater number of spiders in the bath,any ideas on that one,also heard all spiders bite.(EEK).

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Hi Charles,
You seem to have a great interest in creepie crawlies.
I note your user name of "mattress" and wonder if, in fact, you are a bed bug?
Best regards,
Pat(K)

·
Registered
74 Posts
This year I have noticed a greater number of spiders in the bath,any ideas on that one,also heard all spiders bite.(EEK).
They won't bite you if you don't bite them! Leave them be they are good at catching pesky flies and mossies in their webs saves using fly spray.

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
I hope you have a spider ladder. I hope you bathe often enough for them not simply to have been ac***ulating over the year.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hope you have a spider ladder. I hope you bathe often enough for them not simply to have been ac***ulating over the year.
what the hell is a spider ladder??? Only showers in Oz. Occasional web removal works as they move themselves from place to place. If I find one I want to move I simply push a bit of paper under them and put them elsewhere.
The only one you DO NOT touch is the Sydney Funnel Web spider they really are killers...... A friend had one in her swimming pool, took 3 days for the spider to drown!!

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
A piece of string or fabric dangled from coaming to bum level of bath.

In Australia perhaps I would not bother!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yes all spiders can bite but almost all UK spiders don't have fangs long enough to penetrate human skin.

Spiders are mostly beneficial to humans as, as someone has already pointed out, they help control many pest species!

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Yes all spiders can bite but almost all UK spiders don't have fangs long enough to penetrate human skin.
Almost but not all, as I found out after I had pushed my foot down into my Wellingtons. Since we don't get a lot of rain here in Essex, the boots are only needed on very rare occasions. For the rest of the time they stand on the garage floor. Seems they make a des-res for the large house spiders and the one that had taken up residence in my right boot did not wish to share it with my right foot.

The boots are narrow-legged, making them quite awkward to put on and even more difficult to get off, but when that spider bit my big toe, I must have broken all records.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Spiders are mostly beneficial to humans as, as someone has already pointed out, they help control many pest species!
thanks sir.Must admit I like spiders legs.[=P]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Golden rule always bang your boots together to dislodge the little spiders before putting them on! The white tail ones can give a nasty bite and spread infection making the wound difficult to heal.
Red backs are small but quite poisonous, usually like wood piles.
A friend had a trap door spider near her outside toilet. Only appeared when someone tried to enter that place. They tried everything to dislodge it, turps down the hole followed by lighted match ( quite spectacular) etc. He went away for a while but always returned bigger and more determined than ever.
They eventually gave up and installed an inside toilet and let those more intrepid types to take on the trap door spider outside!!! LOL

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
A friend had a trap door spider near her outside toilet. Only appeared when someone tried to enter that place. They tried everything to dislodge it, turps down the hole followed by lighted match ( quite spectacular) etc. He went away for a while but always returned bigger and more determined than ever.
They eventually gave up and installed an inside toilet
What better reason, in 2019, to install an inside toilet than the chance of a spider biting you on the fan..., oops bum.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
A long drop toilet would have been the answer .By the time he has climbed all that way up to bite your bum he would have been too exhausted the sink the fangs

·
Registered
74 Posts
A long drop toilet would have been the answer .By the time he has climbed all that way up to bite your bum he would have been too exhausted the sink the fangs
Ahh, what about under the seat itself??? I guess you'd have to aim from a high height doubt spiders are good a long jump, thought there are jumping spiders so maybe that wouldn't work.
Fly spray would be the option, spray like mad before entering!! (==D)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts