Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all you J&J men was wondering if anyone can remember Mr Hamilton {his 1st name slips me} who was personnel manager in the office at 120 St Vincent St when i was with the company 69-72. Met him first when it was him that signed me on the Glasgow Pool Oct 64 could anyone tell me is he still with us. Kenny

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Think you are mean Gordon Hamilton.

Spoke to him about 10 years ago when he was then working for Clyde Marine
( Davie Livingston's outfit ) also in the personnel dept.

Nice guy , actually a bit to nice for a personnel dept.

·
Registered
146 Posts
John
I could be wrong, but Kenny might be thinking of John Hamilton who was in Personnel at 120 St Vincent St for many years. I am sure that he was later Persnnel Manager for Ocean Inchcape. I can not recall a Gordon Hamilton, so must have been after i left.

Think you are mean Gordon Hamilton.

Spoke to him about 10 years ago when he was then working for Clyde Marine
( Davie Livingston's outfit ) also in the personnel dept.

Nice guy , actually a bit to nice for a personnel dept.

·
Registered
98 Posts
John
I could be wrong, but Kenny might be thinking of John Hamilton who was in Personnel at 120 St Vincent St for many years. I am sure that he was later Persnnel Manager for Ocean Inchcape. I can not recall a Gordon Hamilton, so must have been after i left.
Yes Angus - John Hamilton was in Personnel as you say. He was Personnel Manager with OIL in Dundee when I was with them in 1977/78.
Gordon Hamilton rings no bells.
Donald

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Gordon Hamilton was a trainee in personnel , joined a couple of years before
I left in '81.
Used to sit next to Helen Barr ( lucky guy ) and used to pull up a chair and
join the interview- as trainee of course .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John
Kenny MacRitchie said:
Angus
Yes it was John Hamilton i now recall the name he signed me on the Glasgow Pool in 1964 while he worked there it was a surprise when i met him again in J&Js office years later he picked up his own hand writing in my Discharge Book right away

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Kenny MacRitchie said:
Angus
Yes it was John Hamilton i now recall the name he signed me on the Glasgow Pool in 1964 while he worked there it was a surprise when i met him again in J&Js office years later he picked up his own hand writing in my Discharge Book right away
Yes John Hamilton - 120 St Vincent Street, one hell of a decent bloke I seem to recall. He signed me up for Denholms in 1972, and packed me off to Gothenburg to stand by the new buildings for Seateam.
A couple of years (about) later I bumped into in Dundee quite by accident. He recognised me immediately and we headed for some place for a coffee and a yarn.
He told me he was then with OIL as personnel officer, and wanted to know how things were going with Denholm. I had just completed my first voyage as C/O at that time and was a bit disillusioned with the OBO I had done that 1st trip as C/O on (Eden Bridge).
As I was on leave at the time, John asked if I'd like to do a brief familiarisation trip on one of the OIL boats out of Dundee, just to see if I liked it. (Supernumary - no remuneration)
I jumped at the opportunity and a few days later was on my way up to the North of the Shetlands on the Oil Harrier .
The weather turned foul, and I mean foul, and we eventually had to to run for shelter in the Shetlands. Hell it was bad, galley shut down - only sandwiches available and how those wheelhouse windows survived those seas smashing into them escaped me. The cargo was saved - more by good fortune than anything else - well the lashings all held but only just.
Clearly those ships were going to be hell in the winter months so I just stayed with Denholm after all.
Good bunch of guys on board - I seem to remember.
I was greatfull to John for at least giving me the opportunity to go out with them and see what it was all about.
I also became aware that those guys who worked for oil thought a great deal of their employers, never a bad word said about them. You can be sure John H. must have played a major part in that scenario.
I sure hope he's still around, and remains in good health.

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,601 Posts
Gordon Hamilton was a trainee in personnel , joined a couple of years before
I left in '81.
Used to sit next to Helen Barr ( lucky guy ) and used to pull up a chair and
join the interview- as trainee of course .
John,
Was there not a Gordon Craig in the Denholms personnel office who also ended up in Clyde Marine?

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
John,
Was there not a Gordon Craig in the Denholms personnel office who also ended up in Clyde Marine?
There was a Gordon Craig. I'm sure I first met him in 1972 when he was working in Personnel whilst studying at Glasgow University.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts