Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has ocuured to me that with the Liners and Cruise ships being tied up due to the corona virus that perhaps they present an easy opportunity to help the situation ?
A cleansed vessel of such capacity with all the rooms ; all other life support systems ( Sanitary ; galley etc.and all other services ) could be easily converted in a short time with medical equipment ; lab ; staff and doctors along with necessary crew to make an ideal hospital ship to handle overfloe cases which are bound to arise . Quicker than trying to find some other solution when hospitals which are already overloaded become overwhelmend .

Just One Mans thoughts . Derek

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already in the works. One MSN ship and two Italian large ferries are already in Genova as floating hospitals.
Thanks Stephen ; I thought I had a unusual though : others obviusly beat me to the punch . Glad to hear that some are making a positive move .
Derek
PS any chance of getting / finding a print of the Mangla in the Hoogly

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Derek, that painting by Stephen's of the Mangla in the Hooghly is one of his very best. Full of atmosphere and just like it used to be. It will make a brilliant print.

·
Premium Member
11,609 Posts
Just up on MSN US.

Trump has said that Micky Arison has made an offer to bring his ships to NY as floating hospitals.

Stephen

·
Registered
23 Posts
Derek, that painting by Stephen's of the Mangla in the Hooghly is one of his very best. Full of atmosphere and just like it used to be. It will make a brilliant print.
This sounds fascinating, but not sure if its in the right place. I'm guessing its a painting of a ship in the Hoogli? I'd love to see it.

With respect to the thread topic, I guess different countries are re purposing whatever they can as best they can, liners & ferries in Italy, Conference centres in the UK. In new Zealand we don't have the pressure on facilities YET & hopefully, having gone into lockdown relatively earlier than most countries, we won't need to, but already, unused airport hotels are being used to quarantine inbound travellers & I believe plans are afoot to do like wise to provide extra medical facilities if need be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Tony, a stunning painting full of atmosphere & wonderfully accurate looking at other images of the Mangla, I've not been that active here & was unaware of Mr Card's artistic prowess, something to look out for now.
Googling the Hoogli today makes it look a much busier & less attractive place, maybe some of that is down to Stephen's artistic skills.
Steve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts