Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sad for people dying,but I am enjoying the peace and quiet,not a thing has changed for me,only one thing I do not do is take dog into the park,so it is on lead all the time,also no pesty little drunks going about,anyway take care everybody 馃挅

Registered
You don't get pesky Drunks & Beggars approaching you in the town centre while passing through. But you might come across a Copper asking why you are out and about. (Jester)

Registered
Although I'm----

----on my tod I'm an avid aviation 'nut' and 'dashing-out', (well as fast as my two walking-sticks allow me), whenever I hear the thunder of a pair of American F.15/16 engaging reheat as they carry-out mock dog-fights overhead and still do despite the 'lockdown' they never/rarely 'lay-down' vapour trails.

However the large numbers of 'civvy' aircraft, in the overhead, flying at an altitude commensurate with 'vapour emission' was a daily feature. Now, on cloudless days and with the current lack of 'civvy traffic', vast horizon-to-horizon un-sullied blue is OOD.

There is a way-point to the SSE of Stamford Bridge which seemed to add to the 'vapour' which, of course, is currently redundant so I wonder if that added to the 'vapour' in this area. Now all is gone, silence is the rule, (save for the Hamshanks), and it's rather nice. Phil

Registered
----on my tod I'm an avid aviation 'nut' and 'dashing-out', (well as fast as my two walking-sticks allow me), whenever I hear the thunder of a pair of American F.15/16 engaging reheat as they carry-out mock dog-fights overhead and still do despite the 'lockdown' they never/rarely 'lay-down' vapour trails.

However the large numbers of 'civvy' aircraft, in the overhead, flying at an altitude commensurate with 'vapour emission' was a daily feature. Now, on cloudless days and with the current lack of 'civvy traffic', vast horizon-to-horizon un-sullied blue is OOD.

There is a way-point to the SSE of Stamford Bridge which seemed to add to the 'vapour' which, of course, is currently redundant so I wonder if that added to the 'vapour' in this area. Now all is gone, silence is the rule, (save for the Hamshanks), and it's rather nice. Phil
Hi, We don鈥檛 have any regular US traffic here but there is a route marker at Canfield here in Bedfordshire which collects air traffic at all levels from all over.
As you remark it鈥檚 all very quiet these days.
Occasionally would switch to flight radar to find where to from.
Davie
Stay safe

King Ratt
NATS Airspace Explorer is also fine for tracking air traffic. I have seen some a/c on it which were not appearing on Flight radar 24.

Registered
Isolate

NATS Airspace Explorer is also fine for tracking air traffic. I have seen some a/c on it which were not appearing on Flight radar 24.
Last night I ordered a Chinese meal over the phone
When the delivery man arrived I went into the garden
to meet him.He starts shouting "ISOLATE....ISOLATE"
I told him not to apologise as I only ordered the meal
about half an hour ago.
Dave Williams

Premium Member
This Virus thing is getting out of hand. I was in a long line at 6:45 am today at the grocery store that opened at 7 for seniors only.

A young man came from the parking lot and tried to cut in at the front of the line, but an old lady beat him back into the parking lot with her cane.

He returned and tried to cut in again but an old man punched him in the gut, then kicked him to the ground and rolled him away.

As he approached the line for the 3rd time he said, "If you old f**kers don't let me unlock the door, you'll never get in there".

Registered
I live beneath the beginning of the approach pattern to:

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/dpw/airports/palomar.html

Palomar Airport. All daylight hours there is almost constant aircraft traffic. High flying aircraft fly right over, but aircraft at lower altitudes flying from the north or south fly around the end of the approach pattern. Most days there is an almost constant flow of noisy prop and jet aircraft above me. Now there is nothing but peace and quiet.

Spongebob
Phil, your comments about vapour emissions reminds me of a trip to the UK in 1988.
We were staying in the Bolton area prior to visiting the stoker maker Hodgkinson and Bennis and at an old stately home converted into a B&B and set in a few acres of Rhododendrons.
A relaxed Sunday afternoon saw me lying on the grass under a cloudless sky save for the hundreds of Criss cross vapour trails that marked aircraft movements up down and across England central . A rare sight for me.

Bob

Registered
I live beneath the beginning of the approach pattern to:
https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/dpw/airports/palomar.html
Palomar Airport. All daylight hours there is almost constant aircraft traffic. High flying aircraft fly right over, but aircraft at lower altitudes flying from the north or south fly around the end of the approach pattern. Most days there is an almost constant flow of noisy prop and jet aircraft above me. Now there is nothing but peace and quiet.
I was crazy about aircraft when I was a schoolboy and afterwards, but in recent years I have become more thoughtful about it. The increasing ubiquity of aircraft in say the last sixty years has, I feel, created a serious environmental problem that is new. Thousands of airliners, as well as military jets, are criss-crossing the lower stratosphere almost everywhere and churning it up, when before it was a settled environment and formed into layers. This is in addition to the acknowledged pollution problem.

It's a general problem worldwide, but I guess the U.S.A. takes the biscuit because too few Americans are willing to use the train.

Registered
RayL keyed: It's a general problem worldwide, but I guess the U.S.A. takes the biscuit because too few Americans are willing to use the train.

Please note the VAST distances involved in this country compared to Europe.

Amtrak-Routes.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak

Within metropolitan areas commuter trains are VERY popular.

San Diego County below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprinter_(light_rail)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaster_(commuter_rail)

USA Amtrak Service

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/nec-modified-schedule.html

Northeast Corridor (Boston 鈥 New York 鈥 Washington, DC 鈥 Virginia)
Adirondack (New York 鈥 Montreal): No service north of Albany
Amtrak Hartford Line (New Haven, CT 鈥 Springfield, MA)
Amtrak Thruway Bus routes
California Zephyr (Chicago- Emeryville, CA): No service between Reno and Denver
Capitol Corridor (San Jose 鈥 Sacramento)
Cascades (Eugene 鈥 Vancouver, B.C.): No service north of Seattle
Downeaster (Boston 鈥 Brunswick, ME)
Empire Service (New York 鈥 Niagara Falls)
Ethan Allen Express (New York 鈥 Rutland, VT): No service north of Albany
Hiawatha (Chicago 鈥 Milwaukee)
Illini/Saluki (Chicago 鈥 Carbondale)
Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg Chicago 鈥 Quincy)
Lincoln Service (Chicago 鈥 St. Louis)
Maple Leaf (New York 鈥 Toronto): No service west of Niagara Falls, NY
Missouri River Runner (St. Louis 鈥 Kansas City)
Pacific Surfliner (San Luis Obispo 鈥 San Diego)
Palmetto (New York 鈥 Savannah): No service between Washington, DC 鈥 Savannah
Piedmont (Charlotte 鈥 Raleigh)
San Joaquins (Bakersfield 鈥 Oakland and Sacramento)
Valley Flyer (New Haven, CT 鈥 Greenfield, MA)
Vermonter (Washington 鈥 St. Albans): No service north of New Haven (Monday-Saturday) and no service on Sundays.
Wolverine (Chicago 鈥 Pontiac)

Note in the above list: Amtrak Thruway Bus routes

This is because the few cross-country routes are made up of relatively short rail trips interspersed with long bus routes.

Attached
Amtrak-Routes.jpg (102.1 KB)
Coaster.jpg (111.7 KB)
Sprinter.jpg (74.9 KB)

Attachments

Registered
https://www.sdmts.com/sites/default/files/attachments/rtm_sep2019_web_.pdf

15.98 MB sep2019_web_.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Trolley

The Siemens S70 or Avanto is a low-floor light-rail vehicle (LRV) or streetcar manufactured by Siemens Mobility, a division of Siemens AG.

The S70 is in use, or on order, by several light rail systems in the United States, where Siemens refers to this model only as the S70. In this field, it competes mainly with Bombardier and Kinki Sharyo low-floor LRVs and modern streetcars manufactured by Inekon and Brookville Equipment Corporation.

In Europe, Siemens's Combino and Avenio models are the preferred offerings for purely light rail or tramway systems; and the same S70 model, under the name Avanto, is principally sold to tram-train systems which, in whole or part, share their tracks with heavy rail trains. In the tram-train market, its principal competitors are Bombardier鈥檚 Flexity Link tram-train and Alstom鈥檚 Regio-Citadis and Citadis-Dualis tram-train variants. To date, the Avanto has been sold to two tram-train operations in France.

Unquote

Attached:
San-Diego-City & Area-Transit-Systems-1E.jpg (93.7 KB)
San-Diego-City & Area-Rapid-Transit-Systems-2E.jpg (128.0 KB)
San-Diego-Trolley-Older-E.jpg (119.0 KB)
San-Diego-Trolley-Newer-E.jpg (171.5 KB)

Attachments

Registered
Jokes & funnies

#10 & 11 are better than most on "Jokes and Funny Pics for the Family". Keep it up folk.
Snow White sat the seven dwarves around the table.
Until this virus as cleared up we will remain indoors
until it will be safe to go out again,except for you
Sneezy,you can bugger off right now.

Registered
kewl dude, my apologies. Blame a loud-voiced countryman of yours who I overheard telling someone on a British train about ten years ago "Nobody travels by train in the U.S.".

Thanks for all the detail you provided.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts