Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t get over the way some people open their mouths and spew nonsense. On the news last night, on an item regarding the poor results of Marks & Spencer’s, especially their household and ladies fashion departments, the recently appointed head of the fashion department defended the poor run of results. She explained “You can’t turn a ship around in one night you know”.
I’m glad I was never on a cruise with her! (==D)

·
Premium Member
11,609 Posts
M&S needs some 'nautical language'.

The correct quote should be: "Business is like a ship. If you are heading for the rocks she had better around right away... not the following morning or you are FCUKD!"

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Can’t get over the way some people open their mouths and spew nonsense. On the news last night, on an item regarding the poor results of Marks & Spencer’s, especially their household and ladies fashion departments, the recently appointed head of the fashion department defended the poor run of results. She explained “You can’t turn a ship around in one night you know”.
I’m glad I was never on a cruise with her! (==D)
I saw that interview. Poor girl, she was trying to put a brave face on things but she must know her job is on the line.(EEK)

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
According to George Orwell no metaphor at all is better than any well used one. So you either ought to invent new ones or abststain from using any.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Or steal them from Blackadder:

He’s mad. He’s mad! He’s madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of last year’s Mr Madman competition.

We’re in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

etc, ad nauseam . . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts