Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A trio of interesting photos of Ixion, one of the Blue Funnel "H" class. Built by Harland & Wolff in Belfast in 1951 she served in the Australian trade for twenty years before being broken up in Spain in 1971. I don't know the year she was docked in this floating dock. Can any one help? As a point of interest can anyone tell which floating dock it is and where?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well folks, now that I have sorted out the format of the photos perhaps I'll have better luck attaching them to this. It seems that I am not having any luck. Having changed the format to a jpeg file I'm now told that the file is too big to be attached. Sorry about that. Anyone any ideas?

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Dont know what sort of picture package you have but you should be able to juggle the image size/pixels in your package to conform with the upload to the site. If you can advise what you have I am sure someone will be familiar with it and will help you with any problems that you encounter even if I am cant!!.

5 Posts
Hi John.

Almost sure it is the floating drydock in Rotterdam. Most BF Ships drydocked there as it was fast turn round compared with the old system in Glasgow. Even had toilets in Rotterdam !!!

Ixion was known in Australia as "nine to one on" They had problems converting the name into Oz!!

She was broken up 12th March 1972. However there was a delay prior to this as the Breakers in Barcelona would not take delivery as she ran aground off the demolition berth.!!!!! (Must have been GPS!!!) Just did not want to go. They were wonderful ships. I was lucky enough to serve on three of them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was on the Ixion for two weeks in 1969, sailed from Liverpool to Glasgow, then paid off, and joined the Perseus at Birkenhead. I can remember nine blue flue boats in the Gladstone docks at the same time back then, and there would be another three at least in Birkenhead. Regards Tony. (*))

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only one attempt at the location of the floating dock. Actually, it is the floating dock that is still located in its original position at Newcastle NSW although I have heard a rumour that it is to relocate to Fremantle in Western Australia. I don't know the year that Ixion docked in Newcastle except that for a Bluey to undergo dry docking in Australia was pretty rare. Nor do I know whether this was a routine docking or whether there was a special reason for it. Certainly the photo shows that a lot of routine work was being carried out.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
John said:
Hopefully this time they'll be there!!!
As a G & J Weir apprentice I worked on most of the P and H class at KGV dock, Glasgow in 1961 - normally we would have a boiler feed pump and perhaps a condenser extraction pump to overhaul.
All their engine rooms were tidy but the best of the lot was Ixion it was exceptionally well maintained - even valves on such services as oil fuel transfer and bilge pumping had polished glands and nuts and the valve lid nuts free of paint, polished and oiled. - a credit to the engineering staff at the time.

Jim S

·
Registered
350 Posts
(*)) just a note about when the ixion was scrapped i was deckboy on her,and right enough we did run aground we had all ropes and winches going full blast trying to get her alongside , the best part was the senior leccy running round going mental screaming at us that we were burning the winches out ! the place was actually called" villa nueva y geltru" whatever that means the people that bought her were made very welcome when they arrived on board with twenty cases of san miguel,having run out of tennants three days previous! that was my third trip on the 9to1 on, it was a very happy ship hope this bit helps anyone. (Thumb)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Floating Dock

Hi John
The "Floating Dock" is still in Newcastle NSW. Oz, a ship building and repair company called "FORGACS" owns and operates it. FORGACS regularly completes works for major Australian and international ship owners.

Ron

Attachments

·
Banned
17 Posts
John said:
A trio of interesting photos of Ixion, one of the Blue Funnel "H" class.
However many times I may have seen Ixion in the UK when I was still living there, the time I remember most was when I was a passenger on Northern Star (Southampton to Wellington - October 1970).

We had just visited Las Palmas and were sailing for Cape Town. Ixion was arriving as we were leaving. I remember being up top as far as we were allowed and looking down on the Blue Funneller. However I mostly remember that day for the effect the local red wine had on me. I've never felt so ill in my life, but an injection from the ship's doctor fixed me up pretty quickly.
Cheers, Geoff

·
Registered
485 Posts
Somebody recently said in here that BF were "Gladstone in, Gladstone out" which was probably the "norm" but I can recall seeing BF shipping in Birkenhead docks on numerous occasions.

I loved the atmosphere, the hustle and bustle, the creaking of the nets and the rumblings of the cranes as they slowly crawled along the dock rails lines. The smell of the warehouses, the exotic names stencilled on the large crates coming down on the cranes. The 60s in Liverpool is one period that I really do hanker to go back to, to live again, but this time, with a decent camera and walk everywhere "click click click".

Listening to people moan as they had to wait for the Bridges to raise and lower as (to me) huge cargo vessels slowly sneaked past the quayside and off to god only knows where. It was all so magic.

Blue Funnel was Liverpool to me, I seem to recall dealing with their ships mostly, then US Lines and Cunard - maybe it wasn't that way, but the magic of the place had me gripped like a wheel in a hurricane! As I crossed the river on the ferry, I would spot, or go around, certain vessels and report them in at the office, sometimes 6 or 7 at a time and know they meant a bit of work that day or next!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Gladstone in Gladstone out

"Somebody recently said in here that BF were "Gladstone in, Gladstone out" which was probably the "norm" "

M Boats definately Bidston out Gladstone in when I sailed on them. Gladstone to Glasgow then back to Bidston to sail deepsea.

·
Registered
485 Posts
"Somebody recently said in here that BF were "Gladstone in, Gladstone out" which was probably the "norm" "

M Boats definately Bidston out Gladstone in when I sailed on them. Gladstone to Glasgow then back to Bidston to sail deepsea.
Thought so, just had another thought, but not for this thread - Clan Line sailed out of Bidston by the "Penny Bridge".

1 - 20 of 59 Posts