Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone by any chance have a pic or details of a hopper barge JP WEBB built in 1954 by Ferguson/s at Port Glasgow for Melbourne Harbour Commissioners.
She replaced another of the same name built also by Ferguson/s in 1951 but which was wrecked a few months later shortly after taking up her career.
I believe the 1954 WEBB is now an artificial diving reef.
Better still,anyone have a shot of the first one?

·
Banned
21 Posts
J.P. Webb

Hi Fairfield (Wave)

I have found out the following, hope it helps. I cannot however find a photo of either ship anywhere.

J.P.WEBB S ss hopper barge, 967 g, 300 n, ON196732, 207' x 36'1', B.1954 Ferguson Bros (P.GL.) Ltd, Pt. Glasgow, 3X mach aft. Melbourne Harbour trust. Dismantled and abandoned in shallow water off Pt.Lillias, Corio Bay, 1981.

JP Webb -1951
The 983-tonne steam-driven hopper barge, JP Webb was lost en route from England to Melbourne. The 983-tonne barge had been built in Glasgow for the Melbourne Harbour Trust and was designed for dredging work in Port Phillip Bay, Victoria. The ill-fated vessel was launched in April 1951, only to run aground four months later on what is now known as Webb Reef. It lies 1.6 km west of Ledge point at a depth of 3-6 metres. The main features of the wreck are the boiler and a large triple expansion steam engine. The boiler is clearly visible from the surface, lying about one metre below the water. The site has been extensively salvaged but remains an attractive and easily accessible wreck dive in good conditions.

Hope the info is of use.

Santos.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is,thanks indeed.I had the basics albeit wrong.I had the 1951 ship abandoned in 1981 and only when I did some more research realised there had been two.Quite a shame about the first one/s loss.

·
Banned
21 Posts
J.P. Webb

Hi Fairfield,

Yes, tragic really, brand new ship, travels halfway around the world only to be wrecked just before she got to her new home. A sad loss.

Santos.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Ahoy,

Sorry no picture, but here her details;

SHIP INFORMATION (Main Details)

Ship name J. P. WEBB LR/IMO No.5166885
Ship type HOPPER Ship Updated 2003.12.17
Ship Status Continued Existence In Doubt Date of Build 1954.11

Tonnages (not 69 conv.)
Gross 967
Official No.196732 Net 300
Sat. Com. Id. DWT1204
Ans. Back Code Dimensions (metres)
Flag Australia Draught 4.534m
PortMelbourne,Vic. Length (Overall) 63.1m
Reg. Owner Ship's Existence In Doubt Length (BP) 59.44m
Ship Manager Unknown
Builder Ferguson Bros. (Port Glasgow) Ltd.-Port Glasgow Breadth
(ext.) 11m
Yard No.408 Breadth (mld.) 10.98m
Class Lloyd's Register of Shipping (disclassed) Depth (mld.)5.19m

Propulsion Steam Recip(s), Direct Drive Screws Single-Screw

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Photo of JP Webb on my photo gallery . Not the best photo I'm afraid as I was actually taking the tug in front of the Webb.
My dad taught me to flash an oil fired boiler on the Webb when I was 14. I later was on her as Engineer. A very comfortable old girl. Not sure where she is now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopper Barge J. P. WEBB

Hi Fairfield,Did you receive my message re this vessel,sent 21/7/08,as I was a crew member on the delivery voyage from Port Glasgow to Melbourne 1954/55 and may be able to assist with information including photographs.Cheers Bill Smith (Melbourne Australia)

·
Banned
48 Posts
Wow, what a nice thread - it just goes to show the real style, and strength and depth of SN (Thumb)

ps. for W J Smith - I think Fairfield is way at the moment and is yet to see your message

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of her to see if she is the same as the steam hoppers owned by an outfit I worked for between deap sea jobs in my early days, they were also built around the same time, they featured strenghthened wing bridge supports as well as deckhead strengthening in the steering gear compartment to comply for a grant in regards to a possible "War Role". Boiler, three furnace Scotch, oil fired with Weirs pumps all round, and a tidy well laid out engineroom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Jan for your message re the J.P.Webb. The photos look O.K to me. In trying to put a face to a name, could you be the Jan Hendricks who acted as the returning officer for S.U.A elections from time to time ? However I will print the photo's and get back to you. Cheers, Bill Smith

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Bill,
Elections??? never had anything to do with that, Jan Hendrik (note correct spelling) are both my Christian names.
Will send you a PM with same photos and another coloured beauty of this vessel next couple of days.
Regards,
Jan

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I saw the hulk of JP Webb together with another similar hull - name escapes me - in the late 80's early 90's. They had been run up on the beach in a little cove near Point Lillias and I think that some local was going to break them up completely but either went broke, lost interest , or - as I heard - was denied access to the site by the adjoining land holder. Can't say if they are still there or not... long time no sail in that area. Can't see them on Google Earth but I would imagine that they would have eventually been completely dismantled rather than towed off the beach and scuttled... very shallow area around there.... and I think they were both 'tidal'.

There was a near sister... if not JP Webb herself although the dates don't fit... that was in collision when inboard from the spoil ground with an outbound Polish ship in 1984. The MHT hopper 'sank' just south of Breakwater Pier... frd section flooded and sat on the bottom... stern stuck up in the air... salvaged soon there after. Collision caused by big ships working VHF Ch 12.... MHT ships using UHF... all work Ch 12 these days.

Cheers
Frank

·
Registered
5 Posts
JP Webb

Hi All
Nice to see others who know the boiler and engine rooms etc on that old girl. I was heavily involved with her around 1980-81 alongside at Nth Wharf in preparation for using her as a salvage vessel for the City of Rayville off Cape Otway. We steamed her to Mornington Pier for a test run with both police and harbour Authority chasing us down the Yarra and out to Port Phillip before giving up on us all.

The engine was a beautiful triple expansion, 1000HP @ I think 95 or 100 RPM

It took a lot of work to get her recommissioned as she had not been fired up for some yrs prior. I know very well the blackness and sulphur of the inside of her old scotch boilers. A really sweet boiler engine combination though. Almost Silent

Whilst I was never one to photograph these occasions my dear friend Holger was. If you would like some photos, let me know and I will ask.

Very fond memories and would love to hear from anyone else that may have been involved in the Webb and especially that venture.

Cheers

Phil Long

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All

Whilst I was never one to photograph these occasions my dear friend Holger was. If you would like some photos, let me know and I will ask.

Cheers

Phil Long
Hi Phil

I would love to have copies of any photos. I was brought up on the Clyde and -much to late in life and 400 miles away -have recently started a project titled "Clydebuilt". As part of this, and because I was born in Paisley, dredgers interest me. These ships, and their builders deserve to be better known.

Andy Shand
Bristol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Photos

Hi All

Still trying to get photos from the Salvage Era 1980-81
During the process of converting the Hopper Barge to a Salvage Vessel as a part of celebrations and a good excuse to take her for a run we steamed her out from the river towards Mornington Pier. We were chased by the Port Authority down the river yelling on a PA "turn this vessel around, Stop this Vessel". They where promptly told to ...............
Funny, they did.

So we proceeded to steam towards Mornington pier. Jack an old Engineer from Texas and I were in the Engine room driving the old girl and running the boilers. Pretty amazing thing to do! Checking the Brg cap temperatures for those that can relate. 1st time always hurts.
Must have been getting pretty close to our destination when the Telegraph goes right off from full ahead to full astern. I never have heard someone go off like Jack did swearing and yelling out "Bloody Speed Boat Drivers, What do they think this is, a bloody speed boat!

We got the engine reversed and he sent me on deck to see what was going down. Well,,,
We were heading at a few knots at around 20 degrees along the wharf and about to impact. The bow ran along the side of the wharf splitting the vertical timbers like twigs. Bang Bang and every time a twig would explode the whole wharf would shake. Grannies became Olympians running faster and faster, It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I was surprised that even the police did not come down.
There was pandemonium on board though. Everyone scurrying around trying to hide all the grog. At that point I disappeared back down to the engine room. We had an event free run all the way home to Nth Wharf. I still have my old cabin Key "A Shift" Really loved that ship and the time I worked on her, especially the engine and boilers.

I'll write more some time. I would love to catch up with anyone from that "SS City of Rayville" Salvage Era, Er.. or Kel...!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

Found the old girl.

See
-38.080194 144.482907
Must say sad to see her in this form and my old cabin has gone. Sort of hoping that she had been scuttled in an almost complete state but alas aground at the low water mark. Not too long and she will be nothing but oxide

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
337 Posts
Is that the location of her Phil. what does she look like now. it was very interesting reading through the stories. even the story of her hitting the pier.

Tony.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts