Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i am researching the ship Pioneer built in Hull in 1881 by J Shuttleworth.
All the lloyd's official papers mention Shuttleworth but i haven't found a single mention anywhere about this shipyard. It's like a ghost.
Does anyone have any information about the ship or the shipyard?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hello,

Maybe a couple of red herrings but needs to be checked out.The Eastern Morning News of 29/April/1881 records an accident at "Mr Shuttleworths Baltic Steamship Works"

Did a quick search with this name and came back with nothing.

David Aprery's comments on the Warsailors site suggests that Hull was maybe not where she was built.. David is a very experienced and respected maritime researcher and I would post on the Warsailors thread to see if there was anymore progress.

The Mercantile Navy List of 1882 gives much the same information as Lloyd's Register and as far as I can tell she was the only vessel with the name PIONEER built at Hull? in 1881.

I would also search this piece from TNA

Ship Pioneer , official number: 82953. When built: 1881. Registry closed: 1894. | The National Archives

This should tell you all of her owners with dates and may give other information.

Also some of her Logbooks and Crew Agreements from here

The blanks from 1886 - 1992 suggest she may have been sold foreign.

I would also contact Hull History Centre to see if they hold anything.
They have an excellent and moderatly priced research service. So unless you live locally its your best bet.

regards
Roger

Reactions: sidnik77

·
Registered
102 Posts
For interest, there was a Joseph Shuttleworth near Lincoln/Gainsborough who inherited a yachting business from his dad and merged with his neighbour Clayton Iron works and built steam engines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try this link

I just wonder what was the tonnage of this fishing vessel/yatch [same as a snibbie 50/60 total tons, and was there a yard slipway on the TRENT just seaward/downstream from gainsborough, to wards TRENT FALLS. ??? A Thought???

·
Registered
23 Posts
For interest, there was a Joseph Shuttleworth near Lincoln/Gainsborough who inherited a yachting business from his dad and merged with his neighbour Clayton Iron works and built steam engines.
The same family as own/owned the Aviation Shuttleworth collection too I understand?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry I thought I entered this information some 2 days ago-Here goes. Shuttleworth Museum at Old warden, Biggleswade Beds, at the airfield , may be able to help. Shuttleworth made his monies engineering/production Steam Traction engine, for the Farmiming Industry. and that powered /belt drove the Threshing machines of the day.
The likely story is the fishing steam driven vessel. no more that 60Tons GRT, would make sense, and trading off the UK Coast or maybe in the river ways of western Europe- Holland/Rhine Etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I thought I entered this information some 2 days ago-Here goes. Shuttleworth Museum at Old warden, Biggleswade Beds, at the airfield , may be able to help. Shuttleworth made his monies engineering/production Steam Traction engine, for the Farmiming Industry. and that powered /belt drove the Threshing machines of the day.
The likely story is the fishing steam driven vessel. no more that 60Tons GRT, would make sense, and trading off the UK Coast or maybe in the river ways of western Europe- Holland/Rhine Etc.
Oh, thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts