Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. I am looking for some details of my Uncle Jimmy (James) Cain who was reported to have died of natural causes during a voyage on the Harrison Line ship “Scholar”. Are the ships logs still available? Or are there any places that I can find further details or where he was buried. The entry found on the National Archives just states the position of the ship at N14.55 and W61.36. Any information would be greatly received

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks like he may be buried in Martinique in the West Indies, found this from Google Earth the latitude and longitude is to the bottom right hand side when you open Google Earth.
I do not think any ships logs would be around but I am no expert on this someone else may be able to help

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hello and welcome,
Contact the Maritime History Archive. They have Crew Agreements and some Logbooks of British and Commonwealth ships for the years 1863-1938 and 1951-1976. Years 1951-1976 have they have not been indexed.
Your best bet is to contact them via this form, quoting the name and official number of SCHOLAR official number 169905
I can find no Logbooksfor 1952 in the British National Archive.
Have you searched the Deaths at Sea Register on Find My Past?
regards
Roger

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Forgot to ask, have you got the exact date your Uncle meet his demise?
Do you have his Personal Merchant Navy records from the National Archive?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hello and welcome,
His entry in the DAS Register - Ship SCHOLAR 15 May 1952.

Grey Tints and shades Font Pattern Wood

Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks to all for the very prompt responses. I have checked the National Archives and found some detail, still very sketchy. I will have a go at the suggestions you have made.
Larry

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hugh/Roger,

I have always understood "DAS", in a Discharge Book, as "Discharged At Sea", following a foundering/sinking. Indeed, I sailed with a R/O who had a very "salt stained "DB, marked DAS in a typhoon off HK.

I note, however, that this is the "DAS Register", probably something apart and different.

Anyway, many thanks for your help (as always) to this member!

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hi Dave
In this context DAS is simply, Deaths At Sea Register. See my post #3
From 1854 records of births, marriages and deaths at sea had, first, to be recorded in ships’ logbook. When the ship next docked at a British port the information from the logbook was then recorded by the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen (RGSS). Copies of the RGSS registers were periodically sent to the General Register Office. GRO.
The original poster could apply to the General Register Office for a copy of a death certificate. The cause of death would be taken from the DAS Register. So it would be a pointless exercise.
The OP should try to obtain the original logbook just to see if there is any information in the narrative pages. I would also try to pursue the Martinique connection.

regards
Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts