Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
foggy1953
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents
Searching for details of my maternal grandfather,s service of which I have some sketchy details. Born James Wiseman Wilson on 16th August 1890 at Gardenstown Banffshire Scotland.No 2820 ( r n r ).
This is all I have.
Sometime during February 1915 serving on a minesweeper on convoy service in the North Sea their convoy was attacked by enemy surface ships and sunk by shellfire,his ship was the last to be sunk and they never saw the enemy that sunk them only the smoke from their funnels. My grandfather and some other members of the ships company managed to board a lifeboat which had a small sail and oars. My grandfather was the only survivor on the lifeboat who had any navigational skills as he had been a fisherman prior to being called to service. Setting the small sail they set off before the wind. During the first night they sailed through a fleet of ships which they believed to be enemy as a light was shone on their frail craft but they were ignored and left to their fate.After many hours at sea in an open boat a small pin***** of light was sighted and hopes were raised, when day broke they summoned strength and managed to row into a small harbour on the Norwegian coast.
If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful for information on The name of the ship, convoy no.and ship names.Any crew mates from my Grandfathers ship. I can remember him saying the youngest crew member being 16 yrs old and from Keiss in Caithness.
Regards Foggy

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hello and seasons greetings Foggy,
You should start with his RNR service record which you can download for £3.50.
Held here at Kew in piece BT 377/7/89148

Regards
Hugh

·
foggy1953
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hugh now I’m making some headway.
I now would like to find some details as to ships company and survivors and casualties if possible.l remember grandfather talking about a shipmate from sea houses and the youngest a boy of 16 from Keiss in Caithness but unsure of where to go now.

Regards Foggy.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hi Foggy,
I suggest you download that file and it should give you basics to start with. The file can be quite difficult to interpret so you may wish another pair of eyes on it for you.

He was enrolled in the RNR in May of 1917 and was aboard the armed trawler LORD ALVERSTONE when she was sunk by SMS EMDEN and destroyers of the German Third Half-Flotilla on 12th December 1917. He survived and was landed in Norway along with eleven others [whole crew] and sent to POW/British Internment camp Jorstadmoen, Faaberg. He was released in December 1918. You may wish to look at this file at the UK National Archives in Kew - ADM 1/8429/227 - Loss of HMS INDIA in the Westford. Internment of survivors in Norway. Landing crew of HMS LORD ALVERSTONE in Norway under similar cir***stances. Hopefully it would reveal all the names of the internees.

Regards
Hugh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts