Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A high speed Japanese ferry (Boa) has collided to what is believed to be a whale today, injuring 49 people, 13 seriously. (0900 GMT)

The ferry was near the city of Kagoshima, on the southern island of Kyushu.

7 most seriously injured passengers taken off. Ferry immobile, remaining passengers still on board.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4893370.stm

Cheers,

Rushie

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
Strange that, that was going to be my question.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And his brothers and sisters by the sounds of the quote from the ferry operator "numerous collisions occur between shipping and whales".

At least the Japs do enjoy their fresh whale meat!

Rushie

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
A few years back I was driving across the Brecon Beacons and I made a remark about the sheep on the road and that some would become road kill, my uncle who lived in the area said they wont be on the road long as they will be in a Paki restaurant tonight as a curry and rice.
John.

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
I am amazed there is not more accidents through hitting whales. But with some species close to extinction due to mans greed, they will not be hit much longer. But a container falling off a ship can do some damage as well. By the way John, a ten year old boy here in the UK has been taken to court for calling his friend the shortened P word as it is considered racist. Just thought I would mention it. David

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Pompeyfan...another season of going down to the nail..!

I think the incident also shows how easy it is to immobilise one of the newer generations of "plastic" ferries. God forbid if a Fast Cat hit a stray container full-on in the middle of the North Sea!

Cheers,
Rushie

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Yes, Rushie, going down to the nail by the looks of it. Not too sure if my ticker can take it if we have to win our last game to stay up?!. As for containers, yes, if a Fast Cat hit a container or any other large object casualties could be massive, but it is still a safe way to travel. The percentage of hitting one of these things is pretty low at present I would have thought?. David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some of these comments seem a bit zenophobic to me though there does seem to be a kind of crude poetic justice about this particular case.

No excuse for the sheep quip though! I once encountered the distressing sight of an accident involving a flock of pregnant ewes that had escaped from a field in Rutland. A speeding lorry had ploughed into them and about 20 ewes had been splattered all over the road. The road was closed off and a number of lorry drivers and policemen were vomiting at the sight of it. Not really something to joke about.

Brian

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
In the 60's I had a friend who was working on one of the Bugsier Salvage tugs, and they were going across the Atlantic Ocean to New York, I think they were going to tow the old "Hannseatic" back to Germany.

On the way over the tug hit a large whale, and he had the photo's of the whale stuck fast to the bow of the tug, there was plenty of detail in the photo's, and they were gruesome.

Frank

·
Registered
169 Posts
I heard that Savill's "Karamea" hit a whale fair and square in the Red Sea, and carried it to Aden [bunker port]. It fell off when stopping for the pilot. In the current situation with the Jap ferry, perhaps the Japenese God is telling them to leave these speccy animals alone. Grifmar

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
David ,thats because of the stupid judge or court even taking the case. The word Paki was used by many of the military along side the Pakistani soldier and they did not think it was racist.
And Brian you need to do some growing up,and wake up to whats going on in the world with humans who are being slaughtered like sheep.
John.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

glad to see theres a bit for everybody here,save the whales,paki,s sheep on the roads,high speed cats, even pompys last match,david what will you do if heven forbid,your team goes all the way down,i mean conference league,or is that considered swearing

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
I will still carry on going Dom whatever league we are in. I am not a fair weather supporter or one that only supports a team that is doing well like some fashion item. We went all the way down to the old fourth division once and climbed back. So if we go down, we will be back. David

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Pheonix rose from the ashes. so did west ham and so can Pompey!! (leave a pint behing the bar for you David)...LOl

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Which tack was the whale on did he have right of way?Pompey seem's to allway's had good followers even back in the 60's did'nt like the ted that reshaped my nose in the Airballoon pub on new years eve 61/62 though

Slainte Billy

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Thanks for the pint billyboy. Sorry you had a bad time in 61/62 billmaca. Never heard of the pub you mention. David

1 - 20 of 43 Posts