Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any ex Jebsens men out there I was with them for 12 years.
You worked 60 hours but got paid for 40.
Hard working ships with totally inadequate high maintenance Pielstick engines for long sea passages.

·
Registered
93 Posts
HILLVIEW. HI
I was with JEBSENS 11 years (AB-BOSUN)
I finnished up on MV TELNES. Conveyer discharge.
Very hard work.
Regards ARTIE

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Sailed briefly with "Jebbies" on M/V Brimnes and M/V Ringnes.
Were a good company to work for and treated the officers and crew well.
Sent my wife a Christmas box when I was away over that period.
Did expect you to earn your corn which came as a surprise to some.
Went to Bergen on occassion to get my Jebbies jag (brainwashing! session)
The engines you mentioned "Hillview" were they the ones with that harmonic damper (Guislinger coupling)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pielstick Engines

Indeed they were fitted with Geislinger Couplings between engine and gearbox.
They were terrible to work on,they had laminated drive fingers that broke,also oil seals that leaked.
On later engines they fitted Vulcan couplings which were a bit better but due to extensive flexing the plies burst and although easier to renew took time to torque up due to rubber outer covering onto steel ferrules embedded in outer flange. Woe betide you if you tried to take a short cut to torque these couplings up.
Pielstick engines were German but all patents drawings etc were given to France in war raparations and they developed the higher power range,etc.
For shipowners they were lighter and therefore could carry more cargo in their ships but were a constant high maintenance engines totally unsuited to Jebbies long haul passages i.e. Freemantle to Antwerp with two days for crew change,Bunkers,Maintainance,give me a slow speed engine anytime.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Steve Chalkley

Hi Hillview,

I sailed with Jebbies from around 1978 to 1983 as Radio Officer. Did few tours on those bouncy castles "Clydenes" & "Clarkenes" then deep sea on Spraynes, Sharpnes, Swiftnes, Borgnes and finally Telnes. A good company and enjoyed my time with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi arthur,did 11 years with jebbies myself.I'm sure i sailed with you,your brother ron & sid silk on the R-boat's early eighties.Stornoway boy me @ in the north sea now for my sins.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Georgemacleod.
Yes you are right,Sid Silk was bosun.The brothers Arthur & Ron Birch & I
was the other Arthur Askew (Artie )Ron was donkeyman. Art & me ABs.
The two brothers & me where shipmates for years.They have both passed
away now and i am well into retirement.
Regards Artie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are there any ex Jebsens men out there I was with them for 12 years.
You worked 60 hours but got paid for 40.
Hard working ships with totally inadequate high maintenance Pielstick engines for long sea passages.
Sailed as R/O wth Jebbies in the late 70's early 80's, the Risnes, Bernes and Sealnes.
Tom

·
Registered
487 Posts
Crossley Pielstick 9PC2L on the 'Rocknes' Class were the finest Pielstick I ever sailed with. The Dorman Auxiliaries were a pain and No.3 (aftmost) subsequently changed to ***mins.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The "Rocknes" claass if my memory serves me right were made for running as unmanned at night and the engineers had an alarm panel in their cabin.
A tale about that. We get a replacement chief engineer as our regular one got sick. He had been retired and it was a pierhead jump sort of. Was feeling no pain from a few libations when he boarded and signed on and went to bed. We had the required bodies and off we sailed.
It took a couple of days for him to finish his stash and then summoned the second to his cabin.
Davie (the only other engineer) had been running things on his own in the meantime (with the help of a donkeyman the only other E/R staff) and was somewhat tired and upset.
I want to see how the engineeers are said the chief."I am fine chief" said Davie "now you are on the alarm. Went over and turned the panel switch to C/E and left.
Needless to say we got another c/e next port as the poor old guy hadn't a clue.

·
Registered
487 Posts
StevieJ
The 'in line' engines as you know are a different animal than the 'V' type. I was in the 'Rocknes' when she was sold out of Jebsens (89) but remained in their Pool. The new owner clearly understood these engines as we were never wanting for spares or anything else for that matter.
Hague

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hague
I stand corrected.
I never worked on the in line engines. I spent most of my time working with the V18's. I wrongly assumed by name Pielstick the Rockness Class were just as bad. Cheers

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I sailed with Jebbies in the 80s on the Bernes, we did the sheep run from Freemantle to Jeddah, and then went on the Sharpness, found the company o.k. Jan.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The "Rocknes" claass if my memory serves me right were made for running as unmanned at night and the engineers had an alarm panel in their cabin.
A tale about that. We get a replacement chief engineer as our regular one got sick. He had been retired and it was a pierhead jump sort of. Was feeling no pain from a few libations when he boarded and signed on and went to bed. We had the required bodies and off we sailed.
It took a couple of days for him to finish his stash and then summoned the second to his cabin.
Davie (the only other engineer) had been running things on his own in the meantime (with the help of a donkeyman the only other E/R staff) and was somewhat tired and upset.
I want to see how the engineeers are said the chief."I am fine chief" said Davie "now you are on the alarm. Went over and turned the panel switch to C/E and left.
Needless to say we got another c/e next port as the poor old guy hadn't a clue.
I am afraid this was fairly standard throughout the nineties even when they passed out of Jebsens ownership to owners who spoiled you with spares (if that's possible)
Hague

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wilson Muuga

Dave/Lakercapt
Understand Wilson Muuga (ex Selnes, Risnes) which grounded off Reykjane, Iceland on 19.12.06 reported to have berthed in Hafnarfjordur on 17.04.06
What next???

1 - 20 of 134 Posts