Ships Nostalgia banner

Jet Propelled Paddle Steamers.

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  WLH 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hello Hendo,
I remember well the old "lucy Ashton",she was a very popular little steamer,built byT.B. Seath & Co of Rutherglen with a two cylinder diagonal compound engine built byA&J Inglis & Co. She sailed out of Craigendoran for North British steamer fleet. That is a good web site you recommend (all about Lucy) I remember during her jet engine day;s she was painted like a scale rule from bow to stern,probably part of the measuring system used for the experiments/
Good Information,
Cheers,
Neil Mac.

#3 ·
My Dad's family were from Greenock and used to spend their summers in their cottage in Garelochhead. The vast majority of the clan used to cross from Greenock to Garelochhead on board LUCY ASHTON - as a paddle steamer, not an engine test-bed! My Great Grandfather and five, yes five others used to travel by road on his Aerial Square Four motorcycle, with its four seater sidecar! Posh bugger had acetylene lamps too!

#4 ·
Hendo! said:
Not wanting to step on anyones toes here regarding copywright and what not I'll just provide you with a link to the story of the Lucy Ashton, the paddle steamer who became jet propelled!

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/lucyasht/lucyasht.htm

(Applause)
Used to watch LA on trials in Clyde area, seem to remember her lying in Bowling Harbour, the noise when underway was akin to a rocket lift-off,
Lucy Ashton very popular steamer on 'Doon the Water' trips.
Regards.........WLH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.