Ships Nostalgia banner

was the judge right

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this Headline in this months Sea Breezes Maritime Log.

A report in the DailyMail in july said that a judge at Sailsbury Crown Court
in Wiltshire has ruled that a jet ski is a ship.
The ruling came after a jet skier was prosecuted under 1995 MERCHANT
SHIPING ACT" while being Master of a ship he commited an act which
caused serious injury by breaking or neglecting any duty".
The defendant claimed that a jet ski is not a ship so he could not be
Marster of it . The judge ruled it was.Police and Coastguards welcolmed
the rulling and say it will improve safety and they will prosecute law
breakers.I presume that will also mean that at last they have to
have more regard for COLREGS! (The International Regulations for
Preventing Collisions at Sea) If anybody read the incident in the
the Daily Mail i would like to know the story . The judge must be well
read up in Maritime Law .

Regards Dave

·
Banned
21 Posts
Jet Skis are Ships,

Dave M,

I have to take issue with you here ( friendly of course ).

On the Mersey we have terrible trouble with jet skis. In the hands of mindless yobs, they have terrorised local yatchsmen and small pleasure boats. They have even driven between the twin hulls of the IOM fast cats as they travelled up the Mersey at low speed and full of passengers. Unfortunately there have been deaths here as well mainly as a result of people buying these things and not knowing how to drive them, resulting in fatal collisions and rammings. They have even tried to ram the lifeboat. We have been unable to do a thing about it.

I and a very large number of people here at New Brighton on the Wirral welcome with open arms the Judges decision. There is now a means of stopping this senseless marine disorder and vandalism and protecting the local and visiting pleasure boatmen / women and maritime traffic, allowing them to take up their pastime and business in peace and safety.

A great decision. (Applause)

Chris.

PS I voted YES.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I will have to think awhile on this one. The problem is who is going to do the enforcing,those things are like flies and not enough police or coastguard around to the enforcing.
John

·
Banned
21 Posts
Jet Skis are Ships.

Dave M,

Words fail me. You have obviously never been at the mercy of a jet ski in the hands of a senseless yob. I have, and been very scared.

You can stick your appeal where the monkey sticks its nuts.

Kind regards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree with Santos. I've cleared up the problems that the small minority of jet skiers have left behind them after they have had their fun, including fatalities. Big hammer to crack a small nut (or nutters) maybe but at least there is now some legal way of stopping the bad element before they injure or create mayhem.
Regards
Ian

·
Banned
21 Posts
Jet Skis are Ships

Thanks Ian,

I thought I was on my own there.

We need something to stop the minority, and thats what it is, the minority. Its just like using a car to terrorise people with and there are laws to stop that, so why the fuss when a judgement is made to stop this type of behaviour.

Political correctness gone mad.

Chris.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Jet Skis are Ships

Dave M,

I thank you, but when you have seen the results of the behaviour I have seen and also been on the receiving end, anything that will curb or stop it is very welcome indeed.

Even if it provokes a new law against that type of behaviour, then something good has come out of it.

Chris.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
The way they are killing themselves there wont be many around,we have about two deaths a month in the summer time with the nutters on the lake crashing into each other. And thats just in the local area.
John

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Having been a recreational "boatie" for years I can assure you that if you put a reasonably sane and responsible person on a jet ski they turn into irresponsible, intellectual midgets and become a real danger to themselves, their families and every other person on the water.

It seems to me that when they buy a jet ski they also are eligible for a taxpayer funded brain bypass.

I once considered installing a torpedo tube on my boat to deal with the morons.

·
Registered
842 Posts
In the first instance I think the Judge was right, these craft are to all intents and purposes "power boats" that one sits astride!
In idiotic hands they are lethal weapons, just like a fast car.
If the current legislation does not cover the use of these craft adequately then ammendments should be added and now.

Anti-social and inconsiderate behaviour is rife in our society at present (we have two village idiots with ASBO`s in my, relatively small, village) but ASBO`s take time impliment, warning notices etc etc, immediate steps need to be taken against idiots on jet-skis and if the Judges decision sets a precedent in the interim, it was the right decision in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
michael james said:
In the first instance I think the Judge was right, these craft are to all intents and purposes "power boats" that one sits astride!
In idiotic hands they are lethal weapons, just like a fast car.
If the current legislation does not cover the use of these craft adequately then ammendments should be added and now.

Anti-social and inconsiderate behaviour is rife in our society at present (we have two village idiots with ASBO`s in my, relatively small, village) but ASBO`s take time impliment, warning notices etc etc, immediate steps need to be taken against idiots on jet-skis and if the Judges decision sets a precedent in the interim, it was the right decision in my opinion.
Sitting astride makes them maritime motor bikes and a huge number of bikers completely ignore the Highway Code and all speed limits. They seem to get away with it because of the difficulty police have in safely stopping them. I am afraid that enforcing rules for jet-skis will have the same problems.

Fred

·
Registered
606 Posts
In Poole, Dorset, jet skies have to have a registration number on them. I fthe jet ski then disobeys harbour bylaw or law outside the harbour, the number is reported to the harbour commisioner who then bans them if ehe sees fit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
On initial inspection of the background I find the definition of a ship in relation to a jet ski to be a bit of a stretch on the part of the judge. Isn't there some kind of a "Coast Guard" type of regulation that would suffice instead? Alan Hill Bridgeport, Pa. USA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alan Hill said:
On initial inspection of the background I find the definition of a ship in relation to a jet ski to be a bit of a stretch on the part of the judge. Isn't there some kind of a "Coast Guard" type of regulation that would suffice instead? Alan Hill Bridgeport, Pa. USA
I also would look something "smaller" than the steam hammer in use here as the next thing that will be required is a current Masters Certificate to get on the water. This opens up all sorts of abuses - much better to bring in local measues that can be properly policed rather than the MERCHANT Shipping Act - a jet ski can't carry cargo can it??

Seems very thin end of the wedge here.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not only Jetskiers

Are water skiers any better. I remember swinging a large supertanker and a boat towing a water skier went under the towlines between the stern of the ship and the after tugs.

I reckon most pilots also have many horror stories about sailboarders.I had to go astern once on a tanker to miss one trying to cross close ahead who obviously had no clue that once he got in the lee of the ship he would loose the wind and stop.
----------------
Tony C

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
We should not confuse the law with justice, they are two separate things. Having said that and considering this legal "opinion" perhaps Charles Dickens was right and the law is an ass.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm with Chris. Now that we have a 10MPH (whatever MPH's are) speed limit on all the lakes up here, the petrol heads have moved down to Morecambe Bay / Walney Channel...About 3 weeks ago, both our ILB and AWLB were called out to investigate a stationary (as stationary as you can get in a 3-4 knot current) JetSki, with the operator moving his arms up and down.... Just before the ILB got to the location, it then started up and zoomed off... Our lad's were not hyper amused, as they then got turned back to investigate another JetSki, but as they approached they were then stood down.... That's a good dozen volunteer guy's giving up their time to answer a shout, never mind the cost of fuel, etc.... If they think that they are outside the law of the sea, then use our signals, and obligations, to provide assistance, I reckon that brings them within all the laws and obligations of other seafarer's....

We also had an incident in the channel last year where, whilst slaloming between the yacht's on their mooring's, the operator fell off his JetSki, and naturally the motor cut out, but the residual motion of the craft caused it to crash into a dinghy, which flipped the youngster rowing it into the oggin....

(I remain guilty as charged for sailing a Topper dinghy between the legs of the Brent Bravo platform in 1978)

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
If there is one word that catches seamen out it seems to be the word Yacht,why it cannot be spelt yot, perhaps we could remember to spell it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts