Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us will have applied for jobs in our past. Here's one that came across the desk of a friend recently. The applicant is certainly keen and tenacious but I'm still not confident of his chances of success. I don't know how sympathetic was the response from the HR department involved. How well do you think he might have got on?
Did you ever receive any unsympathetic responses from your employer's to your applications or requests?

Reactions: Peter Hewson

·
Registered
95 Posts
I often wonder if the human racehorse department is an actual job or a mystical invention thought up by someone who had nothing better to do.
I hear accounts of experienced engineers, technicians etc. being asked questions that have no relevance to the job they are applying for.
A friend of mine- a very experienced and capable welder fabricator- was asked by a human racehorse person 'why should we employ you'. He in turn asked 'I came here to interview you, to see if you are good enough to employ me'. He did not get the job!
It seems to me that the HR department is on a par with estate agents and other 'non jobs'.
The bloke above should be commended for his initiative.
Roger.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Go back further - just how did the good old Personnel department morph into Human Resources?
The writer of the letter missed a point - he should have produced a pair of shoes with the exclamation ' I have his shoes, I claim his job!'

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Go back further - just how did the good old Personnel department morph into Human Resources?
The writer of the letter missed a point - he should have produced a pair of shoes with the exclamation ' I have his shoes, I claim his job!'
".. good old Personnel department " ? They could be very persuasive or were we naive and/or stupid? I did them a favour once in the middle of leave to go at an hour's notice to Glasgow to take the ship to Birkenhead. I eventually left the ship just under 9 months later in Gibraltar having been to Canada and India twice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I remember a shipping company where the head of the catering department died just after everyone had left for the night, leaving one minion finishing off his work. The following morning he was in the office very early sat at the heads desk, somehow he got the job!

·
Registered
65 Posts
".. good old Personnel department " ? They could be very persuasive or were we naive and/or stupid? I did them a favour once in the middle of leave to go at an hour's notice to Glasgow to take the ship to Birkenhead. I eventually left the ship just under 9 months later in Gibraltar having been to Canada and India twice.
Quite literally, a "pier head jump". Working by for T&J`s in Canada 3. I was asked to Join another vessel and literally went aboard in the locks. After a fast journey by car to Hull with many delays on the M62!, collect Sea Gear and and Return!. 9 weeks Caribbean "cruise"!.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts