Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is with sadness that I learnt this morning, from Babs,
that Capt William Orr Burns died in his nursing home. He had been suffering from cerebral dementia for the last few years. He was 93.
Willie Burns was a very dear friend of mine and we sailed together on British Liberty in the 70s and Shirvan in the 80s--three times on each. He always gave me good and wise council.
We remained in touch over the years.

He joined BP as an apprentice during the war and retired in the 80s. He was as straight as a die and feared nobody.

I mourn his passing and may he rest in peace

His funeral will take place in the Tring area and after the coronavirus has passed there will be a service to celebrate his life.

Phil Nevin, Arthur Salmon and now Willie Burns three shipmates I remember with affection and enjoyment--sadly now gone

Joe

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Joe, I remember both Willie and yourself from the Liberty in 1977. As you say, he was a good old man, and I had a great trip on the Liberty. A happy ship with a good trips in the Caribbean. I joined as a J/E and was made up to 4/E during the trip.
Dave Mastin,

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi Joe,

Another nice chat today.

I never knew of WO Burns in my time with BTC/BPTC, but I was eventually in touch with him in 2011 and had a very interesting phone call.

He followed it up with a letter (naturally I still have) that listed a number of family members who were Masters in BP (also Head and Stag line) who were known as BP's Ulster Ulster "Mafia' , there were 11 of them, all but 2 were ex BP Navigating Apprentices

Quite a family. A complex arrangement of marriages.

Graham

1 - 3 of 3 Posts