Ships Nostalgia banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
I just read to your reply to someone that you had copies of Ian Wilson's history of the Kelly boats. John Kelly was my great-great-great grandfather, I am trying to find out the history of the company as well as the family members who were apart of it. Would you be able to help me lay my hands on any published information I may find. Thanks Shelley from Canada

· Read Only
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
....follow up !

i started this rthread of quite some time ago...glad it has sparked some interest !

anyway, i was on a vessel into Belfast for the first time for very many years 2 weeks ago so am just reporting that the power station served by the kelly vessels is in the process of being dismantled. the quay is still there but i wasn't able to see what had happened to the other quay further into the city where i think the Kelly boats also went.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi All;

Good of you to post new material on these interesting Kelly Boats.

There are some excellent images of BEEDING-1950, and as renamed BALLYMORE on the GOOLE SITE.

There are two ships for sure in the Kelly Roster that I cannot seem to find anything to confirm their identity. Perhaps a learned gentleman here might help.

I find nothing at all for the first of the two. Yet she appears on the Fleet Lists I have been given.

(1) MV BALLEYEDWARD 1950 – Faversham, 640GRT, Listed as In-service 1953-1970. Sold to Zodiac Shipping
The only 1950 built ship I have for Kelly was a Goole built BEEDING which became BALLYMORE. There must be info somewhere for the Ballyedward. She probably would not have been named with the BALLY prefix in 1950 either, but then the In-service date is shown as 1953.

The second vessel I may [punny] have already, but there are some differences in the year built: and possibly the tonnages.

(2) SS MAY Re-named BALLYARDS 1952. Built 1927 by Ayr, 275GRT, In-service 1927-1955, Sold & broken up.
For MAY I find a 1928 Ailsa, Ayr, Yard 404 at 257GRT. Could this be her? No further details are given on MIRAMAR site or elsewhere.

Any help on getting these two right will be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Rory
The information that I have is that the Ballyedward was sold to Zodiac Shipping of Newry for 22,,000 pounds, and was renamed Lady Hyacinth.

John McLean

· Registered
319 Posts
On my 3rd trip in Bank Line I shared a cabin with a guy from Belfast (twocoats) whose mother's family, the Blacks seemed to run Kelly's. I've no doubt he's sleeping as we speak in his Canadian time warp, otherwise I think a good break down of these vessels would have been forthcoming. I heard of nothing else but during the 12 months of sailing with him!
Cheers, H
Strange you should say that Lefty. I think I talked about other things as well.

Click on this link to watch a video I put together just recently about Kellys.
Regards
Johnny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WWLwxrt8n4

· Registered
7 Posts
Wiliam Hanna

My Grandfather was the chief engineer on the Ballymoney ,wartime servive on the Glengariff, he also worked the Ballyknock among others. His name was William Hanna ,died in 1968 ,previously he was an engineer with Davidson,his son ,my father ,Eric Hanna worked on most of the Kelly fleet as well as the head line boats and then with the Belfast Harbour Commisioners ,always blames us ,his kids ,for never going to sea properly.I showed him this site and he remembers his dad being late coming home collecting the ballymoney due to the reasons another poster stated ,down by the head.The point of this post is to see if anyone worked with William or Eric Hanna. Thanks and please let me know if either William or Eric ring a bell.
Hi I think I sailed with a Willam Hanna on the Ballymoney from July 1968 toMarch 1969. I have had a head injury so the memory not good. Taken this info from my discharge books. Does anyone out there remember a David Colin Hoey?

· Registered
319 Posts
Have you heard of the Kerrymore
Arrived in Belfast overloaded.Magistrates court. Question, Vessel'name?
Kerrymore your Honour. STiff fineimposed. She'll cary less in future said the magistrate.
Jim McGloughlin

My Uncle Billy Black was skipper on the Kerrymore in the 50's. He took me with him for three weeks when I was 11 or twelve......

· Registered
4 Posts
Ballylesson

A bit more about the Ballylesson, I came accross this on the outstanding Aberdeen Ships website (which has plans and photos of a huge number of Aberdeen built ships to view or download - excellent for modellers) - 1994 arrived in tow, Porbandar, 06:1994, arrested, settled in shallow water, presumed broken up 'in situ'.
Dimensions Overall: 14 3/6 x 33 5/6 x 205 3/6ft
Gross Tonnage: 1092ton

· Registered
1,382 Posts
A bit more about the Ballylesson, I came accross this on the outstanding Aberdeen Ships website (which has plans and photos of a huge number of Aberdeen built ships to view or download - excellent for modellers) - 1994 arrived in tow, Porbandar, 06:1994, arrested, settled in shallow water, presumed broken up 'in situ'.
BALLYLESSON (1959 - 1982)
O.N. 300041. 1,092g. 475n. 1,320d. 220' 0" x 34' 3" x 14' 2½".
Post 1964: 1,280g. 630n. 1,600d 250' 0" x 34' 3" x 13' 11¼".
Post 1994: 1,663g. 498n.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (340 x 570mm) Polar type engine made by British Polar Engines Ltd., Glasgow. 1,005 BHP.

10.12.1958: Launched by A. Hall & Company Ltd., Aberdeen (Yard No .875), for John Kelly Ltd., (Douglas Watson, manager).

16.2.1959: Completed.

1964: Lengthened.

1965: Suffered damage in collision with Belgian tanker BELGULF UNION in the River Mersey.

1970: Dudley Barry appointed as manager.

1977: Removed from management.

1982: Sold to Afroship Company Ltda, Las Palmas, and renamed LINO.

1986: Sold to Cedar Shipping Company.

1987: Sold to Royal Shipping and Trading Company, Honduras, and renamed CRISTI.

1992: Sold to Samaa Asia Shipping, St. Vincent and the Grenadines registry and renamed SAMAA 1.

1994: Sold to Mir Said Mir Mohsen, Belize, and renamed G. MOTHER.

7.6.1994: Took a heavy list off Bombat and arrived in tow of Indian Naval vessel at Porbandar and was arrested.

8.1994: Reported as having settled in shallow water at Porbandar.

· Registered
16 Posts
Ballyrory

As part of my indoctrination when I joined Stephenson Clarke Shipping in their Agency department I made some voyages in 1963 and 1964 on the Ballyrory. In 1963 it was from Blyth to Belfast with household coal then onto Liverpool for a cargo for the 'West' power station before returning to Blyth. In 1964 it was from Liverpool to Belfast and return before heading for Blyth. Marvellous experience. If I remember correctly Captain Ross was the Master, Willie Frank ? was mate, Victor Moore was second mate, Bob Hunter was Chief engineer and Joe Moreland was the cook. Most of the larger vessels in the fleet visited Blyth during my time there, mainly for domestic coal with the occasional 'electric' cargo.

· Registered
20 Posts
I am using the plans mentioned above together with Jim Pottinger's plans to build a working model of the "Ballyloran" to 1/48th. scale. I am hoping that completion will be around the end of the year.

Chris

Attachments

61 - 80 of 108 Posts