Ships Nostalgia banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

· Registered
1,325 Posts
John Kelly (belfast)

Believe me, some of the old ones felt like they were under the water at times. My God we had some hairy old passages round the top when heading for Donegal or somewhere down west. Loved it!!

· Registered
20 Posts
The World Ship Society have just published a new book "Kelly's Navy" detailing the fleets among other things.
Details on their website Worldshipsociety.org.
Received my copy from John Clarkson yesterday together with his new book on Robertson's Gem Line. Some excellent reading ahead(Read) !

Progress on my model of the "Ballyloran" has slowed somewhat, the detail work is taking a bit longer than anticipated but I am now looking forward to a spring-time launch and maiden voyage.

Chris

· Registered
197 Posts
"KELLY's NAVY" new book

All you lucky guys "HAPPY NEW YEAR" from my family to yours. I am still awaiting my copy of "Kelly's Navy" posted 'Air Mail' two weeks ago. Must have been dispatched on a DH 'Tiger Moth'. Has there been any hijackings .....lately?
Cheers,
Rory

· Registered
20 Posts
I thought you "Kelly" men would be interested to know that I have completed my model of the "Ballyloran" built from the plans by James Pottinger. I have posted some photographs in the Model Ship Gallery.
The model had her maiden voyage last Wednesday, the weather was rough and windy but the model behaved well and took the heavy seas in her stride. I was surprised how dry her decks remained throughout the voyage even though she was down to her marks.
I must thank Bill Harvey for his book on "Kelly's Navy", knowing more about the company background seemed to add a bit of soul to the model.

Chris Vehicle Boat Bulk carrier Ship Watercraft

· Registered
319 Posts
DID YOUR UNCLE SERVE AS MASTER ON THE SILVER KESTREL / CARRICK KESTREL IS THIS THE SAME PERSON?
Hi Davidhab.....I am sorry I never got back to you earlier. I was wandering around Threads...

I revisted here to check out some info on Kellys. Seems they don't have a website anymore. Can you let me know.

Yes Captain Billy Black was my uncle. He was Skipper on the Silver Kestrel out of Carrickfergus for years. I did a couple of trips with him when I was on vacation.

Did you sail with him?

JTC(Smoke)

· Registered
319 Posts
I thought you "Kelly" men would be interested to know that I have completed my model of the "Ballyloran" built from the plans by James Pottinger. I have posted some photographs in the Model Ship Gallery.
The model had her maiden voyage last Wednesday, the weather was rough and windy but the model behaved well and took the heavy seas in her stride. I was surprised how dry her decks remained throughout the voyage even though she was down to her marks.
I must thank Bill Harvey for his book on "Kelly's Navy", knowing more about the company background seemed to add a bit of soul to the model.

Chris View attachment 17238
Wonderful looking Model Tankman. You should be proud of your work....

JTC(Smoke)

· Registered
1 Posts
Served as apprentice with King Line from 1938 to 1942 on MV King Lud.
Anyone remember or served in King Line, in the good old day.
Would like to make contact with any one from King Line from this era.
Robert
Hello Robert,
I would be very interested to talk with you about the King Lud as my great uncle Capt Benjamin Roderick Evans (Rod) was Capt on the King Lud in the period you mention. I obviously know a little about him but would be very interested to know more. I have a collection of photographs that he took on board and maybe you can identify some of them. Hope you are still interested.
Barbara

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi Davidhab.....I am sorry I never got back to you earlier. I was wandering around Threads...

I revisted here to check out some info on Kellys. Seems they don't have a website anymore. Can you let me know.

Yes Captain Billy Black was my uncle. He was Skipper on the Silver Kestrel out of Carrickfergus for years. I did a couple of trips with him when I was on vacation.

Did you sail with him?

JTC(Smoke)
Hi Jhonnie yes i did sail with him although she had her name changed to the Carrick Kestrel. We sailed from Carrickfergus to Birkenhead, ICI plant on the Manchester ship canal also the odd run Fleetwood. He was agreat man well like by all the crew, the mate on her was a guy called Jim McDonald cant remember the cooks name the greaser was jack Mcgaw. I must check my photo's as I think there is one off your uncle on the bridge if it would be ok to put it on the sites gallery. Good to hear from your and thanks for post. Best Regards David hoey

· Registered
2 Posts
hello!

anyone out there an expert on the John Kelly costal colliers.....??? the company is now Kelly Fuels with no vessels (altho' they have a gallery on their website where one can order paintings of certain vessels). i would be interested to know what became of the 'Ballymena' and 'Ballylesson' which were around in the early 60's
hi
as i am sure u must know by now, the ballymena, ballymoney, ballylumford,
where scrapped round about 1971 in faslane, the ballylesson was
sold on.

from P H

· Registered
32 Posts
As a 17 year old I sailed out of Belfast, in the 'Rare Old Times' when the Harland and Wolff Shipyard was thriving (1953). I did the maiden voyage from there in the Tantallon Castle, a heavy lift cargo ship of the Union Castle Line.. I very much enjoyed that trip to South and East Africa.
On my return to the Pool in Belfast I was sent to Derry to join the 'Ballybeg' (mentioned previously). Although the expression 'culture shock' was unheard of in those days, it well fits my feelings when I went aboard. I was not unfamiliar with coalboats, having started my sea going career with Wm. Robinson's on the Citrine and stayed on her for nearly a year and really liked it. However, the Ballybeg was a different animal. She was the filthiest and most uncomfortable ship imaginable.The crew were OK although the average.
age must have been around sixty. I did a few runs to Campeltown in Scotland and back to Derry, before returning to more familiar territory. Swearing----never again.

· Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know about the Carnalea Coal Boat which sailed to the invasion under Capt. Dan Black from Belfast. My late father in law martin Treacy was a fireman trimmer on this and we are trying to find or some info on his shipping career. He was on many ships under Capt. Dan Black.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Does anyone know about the Carnalea Coal Boat which sailed to the invasion under Capt. Dan Black from Belfast. My late father in law martin Treacy was a fireman trimmer on this and we are trying to find or some info on his shipping career. He was on many ships under Capt. Dan Black.
CARNALEA
O.N. 132028. 579g. 233n. 760d. 178.6 x 28.1 x 10.5 feet.
T.3-cyl. (15", 25½" & 41" x 30") engine made by Aitchison, Blair & Company Ltd., Glasgow. 85 RHP.
26.11.1912: Launched by Scott & Sons, Bowling (Yard No. 241), for John Kelly Ltd., (Samuel Kelly, manager).
1.1913: Completed.
30.9.1914 until 27.3.1915: Government Store Carrier No. 10.
28.3.1916 until 26.5.1917: Royal Navy Collier No.644.
27.5.5.1917 until 31.5.1917: British Expeditionary Force Transport. (Salvage. Calais – Goole).
1.6.1917 until Mid 1919: Royal Navy Collier No. 644.
26.11.1923: Wm. Clint appointed as manager.
1941: Transferred to the subsidiary Wm. Barkley & Sons Ltd., Belfast, (same manager). 25.4.1944 until 6.3.1946: Chartered to the Government during which time was employed on D-Day operations. Departed Thames for Gold Beach in convoy ETC6W expected 12th June. Returned to Southampton for repairs.
1950: Transferred to John Kelly Ltd., (same manager).
1952: Renamed BALLYDOUGAN, (J. G. Christie appointed as manager).
1955: Douglas Watson appointed as manager.
1959: Sold to the British Iron & Steel Corporation and allocated to R. S. Hayes, Pembroke Dock, and resold to Sorema S. P. R. L. Hemiksem for demolition at Antwerp. 10.9.1959: Arrived at Antwerp.
16.9.1959: Work commenced.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts