Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My great-grandfather was a 'Master' from 1887 till his retirement. I have found a record of him being the Master of the Bellasco in 1915 I think. I can't find much information either about his other Ships or more info on the Bellasco. his name was John Matthew Jared, B: 1860 his son had the same name but I don't think he joined the Merchant Navy. George Joseph and Albert Victor were two his sons that did. If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Hello,
His Masters & Mates Certificate of Competency [08470] is available on Ancestry which shows his ships from his initial apprenticeship up until 1887 when he gains his Master's certificate. He served as Master of BELLASCO in 1915 and previously in 1914.
Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
His Masters & Mates Certificate of Competency [08470] is available on Ancestry which shows his ships from his initial apprenticeship up until 1887 when he gains his Master's certificate. He served as Master of BELLASCO in 1915 and previously in 1914.
Regards
Hugh
Thank you, I had found the Certificates but didn't realise there were more do***ents attached, I would have missed them. That's very helpful, thanks. How could I research his later career? Would there be records in other archives do you think? I've only really had access to ancestry so far.
Jessica

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I can't find much information either about his other Ships or more info on the Bellasco.
BELLASCO official number 105992 built In 1896 By D & W Henderson & Co, Glasgow.
1916 renamed SAN BERNARDO. On the 10th August 1916 when 17 miles Se from Longstone, she was captured by German submarine UB-19 sunk by bombs when on route from Tyssedal for South Shields in ballast. Owned At Time Of Loss By Palmerston SS Co (edye & Co, Managers). Read more at wrecksite: https://wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?145030

I also have him on a voyage May to August 1911 as master of BELLASCO.

With regard to your question about his later career, it is not so easy. All WW1 MN personal records have not survivied so the only way to trace his ships would be by the use of crew agreements, beginning with a known ship's name preferably near the end of his service. You can use a known ship's agreement to backtrack his service as the agreement usually names his previous ship. I don't see any further records from 1918 onwards that could mean he didn't serve or it can mean the actual record cards do not survive which is often the case too.

Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hello, Can confirm he was master of BELLASCO from 23/11/1914 untill 18/07/1915
See her Crew Agreement here. https://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/do***ent/186603
Two ways to go to look for his other ships.
He should have entries in Lloyds's Captains Register which will record all of the vessel he served on as Master or Mate. LCR are lodged with London Metropolitain Archive. They have an excellent reaserch service.
Other way is to back track via Logbooks and Crew Agreements. The Crew Agreement 23/11/1914 gives his previous ship
as BELLASCO official number 105992. Her crew agreements for the year 1914 are stored at TNA Kew Official Nos: 105664, 105668, 105669, 105670, 105671, 105672, 105674, 105675, 105676,... | The National Archives
You would need to visit Kew to examine. Should tell you his previous ship .Most other Crew Agreements pre 1914 are stored at MHA Newfoundland. Crew lists and logbooks
It's longwinded but can be done. However I would take the LCR course first.
This site is usful for finding ships by name and Official Number. Crew List Index Project
Most Maritime Archives are searchable by the use of vessels O/N
regards
Roger
PS TNA is closed to vistors untill further notice. Covid 19

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BELLASCO official number 105992 built In 1896 By D & W Henderson & Co, Glasgow.
1916 renamed SAN BERNARDO. On the 10th August 1916 when 17 miles Se from Longstone, she was captured by German submarine UB-19 sunk by bombs when on route from Tyssedal for South Shields in ballast. Owned At Time Of Loss By Palmerston SS Co (edye & Co, Managers). Read more at wrecksite: https://wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?145030

I also have him on a voyage May to August 1911 as master of BELLASCO.

With regard to your question about his later career, it is not so easy. All WW1 MN personal records have not survivied so the only way to trace his ships would be by the use of crew agreements, beginning with a known ship's name preferably near the end of his service. You can use a known ship's agreement to backtrack his service as the agreement usually names his previous ship. I don't see any further records from 1918 onwards that could mean he didn't serve or it can mean the actual record cards do not survive which is often the case too.

Regards
Hugh
This is all great information, thanks. He may have retired in 1818 but that would have been at 58. There is a family story that Lloyds of London asked him to come out of retirement to captain a new ship but we don't know if that's a bit of a myth. He died in 1929.
Thank you for all your research.

Jessica
Jessica

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello, Can confirm he was master of BELLASCO from 23/11/1914 untill 18/07/1915
See her Crew Agreement here. https://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/do***ent/186603
Two ways to go to look for his other ships.
He should have entries in Lloyds's Captains Register which will record all of the vessel he served on as Master or Mate. LCR are lodged with London Metropolitain Archive. They have an excellent reaserch service.
Other way is to back track via Logbooks and Crew Agreements. The Crew Agreement 23/11/1914 gives his previous ship
as BELLASCO official number 105992. Her crew agreements for the year 1914 are stored at TNA Kew Official Nos: 105664, 105668, 105669, 105670, 105671, 105672, 105674, 105675, 105676,... | The National Archives
You would need to visit Kew to examine. Should tell you his previous ship .Most other Crew Agreements pre 1914 are stored at MHA Newfoundland. Crew lists and logbooks
It's longwinded but can be done. However I would take the LCR course first.
This site is usful for finding ships by name and Official Number. Crew List Index Project
Most Maritime Archives are searchable by the use of vessels O/N
regards
Roger
PS TNA is closed to vistors untill further notice. Covid 19
Thank you, that gives me a lot of starting points. It's great to see the original crew list there. I appreciate your research, many thanks,
Jessica

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Captain Jared arrived at Rotterdam from Newport News in July 1921 as master of the s.s. BOURNE with a cargo of 7617 tons of gas coal. Should be this vessel: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?132121. Acquired by David Steamship Co. in January 1921 and chartered to KNSM then. Sold to KNSM on 22nd October 1921 and renamed BENNEKOM in November 1921.

In November 1913 he arrived at Rotterdam from Savannah with the BELLASCO.

Source: Dutch newspapers. Clippings would be available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Captain Jared arrived at Rotterdam from Newport News in July 1921 as master of the s.s. BOURNE with a cargo of 7617 tons of gas coal. Should be this vessel: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?132121. Acquired by David Steamship Co. in January 1921 and chartered to KNSM then. Sold to KNSM on 22nd October 1921 and renamed BENNEKOM in November 1921.

In November 1913 he arrived at Rotterdam from Savannah with the BELLASCO.

Source: Dutch newspapers. Clippings would be available.
Great, thanks Gijsha, that's really helpful, it fills in some gaps. That link is good too.

Thanks,
Jessica

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
An informative post from Gijsha. The 1921 Crew Agreements of BOURNE O/N 143064 available from here
I have my doubts of the photograph posted by backsplice.
I believe this picture is of the 1922 built BELLASCO. O/N 146433 There is the same for sale on Ebay
OK not the most trustworthy source's of Maritime History.
There is a photograph of the 1922 ship at Liverpool Maritime Museum
Scroll down for image requests. My bet is it is the same photo. As always I could be wrong.

regards
Roger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An informative post from Gijsha. The 1921 Crew Agreements of BOURNE O/N 143064 available from here
I have my doubts of the photograph posted by backsplice.
I believe this picture is of the 1922 built BELLASCO. O/N 146433 There is the same for sale on Ebay
OK not the most trustworthy source's of Maritime History.
There is a photograph of the 1922 ship at Liverpool Maritime Museum
Scroll down for image requests. My bet is it is the same photo. As always I could be wrong.

regards
Roger
Thank you, that's helpful. I'm hoping to get to Liverpool after all this chaos.
Jessica

1 - 18 of 18 Posts