Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
Has anyone one information on the service dates with Houlders of the above tanker.did approx 6 months on her '73.
quite a fast ship and this could accountfor the amount of vibration throughout the ship[half the pipework was held together with the famous "thistle bond"!!!!]
i also remember that the cargo heating coils were not of a common size and we used to turn the olives from tubular brass in the workshop in the engine room.
was some rumour that originally built as a bulk carrier and later converted to tanker????
malachy

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
As far as I'm aware the Joya McCance (2) was built as a tanker. Houlder had an earlier Joya McCance, an ore carrier, and you might be thinking of that.

Phil

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
It is quite confusing in terms of names, as the original Joya McCance was an ore carrier built in 1960 (sister to Mabel Warwick) and she changed her name to St Margaret in 1966 and sold in 1971. Meanwhile Houlders bought a Norwegian built tanker whilst under construction and retained her named Beauval – she was built in 1964 and changed her name to Joya McCance in 1966 (when the name became available). She was sold in 1976 and broken up.

As a point of interest, she was actually a spur of the moment purchase, spotted by John Houlder for sale and matched to an amazing charter to Shell which paid a substantial bonus for anything above 15 knots – she regularly traded well in excess of this as she had a unique turn of speed. Her maiden voyage was taking Fresh Water from Amsterdam to Gibralter and loading had to be delayed as Monday was “wash day" in Amsterdam

·
Registered
678 Posts
Joya McCance.

Ref: the "thistlebond" part of the Joya McCance thread, whilst I was on the Faraday it was consumed in great quantities due to the fact that the sea water pipework was thin wall and would crack due to any vibration. I wonder if the output from Ferguson and Timpson the manufacturers diminished with the reduction in the Merchant navy fleet. I know it was available up to five years ago.

Ninja.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tonga,
think this is one you mention for a majority of the control panels below had scandanavian text.
thanks

·
Banned
48 Posts
Beauval

Malachy,
Another oddity of the Beauval was her propeller – although age tend to reduce my memory for detail, I do remember it had an obscene number of blades - like about six! The overall result was that she used to steam up the English Channel overtaking the ferries from Spain.
Tonga

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sailed on the Joya from 1969 to 1971, started as 5th and ended as 3rd engineer, enjoyed every trip, yes she was fast. I have photos of the control panel will have to check the language.

L

·
0 Posts
Sailed on the Joya from 1969 to 1971, started as 5th and ended as 3rd engineer, enjoyed every trip, yes she was fast. I have photos of the control panel will have to check the language.
Hi Magnus.
I signed on "Joya McCance" Dec 67 in Hamburg paid off Birkenhead Jul 68. 3rd Eng. Stan Hughes, 4th Eng. John Kincaid(died on Royston Grange) Ch. Eng was Ellis Mason or Tony Hetherington, Captain was Jim Taylor. The ship got busted for drugs in Japan, about six of the crew got jailed. Oh what stories and what memories.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Leo

Tony Hethrington was chief for a couple of trips when I was on the Joya a great chief, Fred Capstik was extra second and I still hear from him at Xmas.As you say lots of stories and memories

·
Registered
968 Posts
Beauval

I joined the "Beauval" after the Seamans Strike in1966 and did a 3 month trip.I've recently seen a picture of her as the "Joya McCance" dated about the same time. Can anyone put me right?

·
Banned
48 Posts
Notnila, yes you are correct - it is the same one and I have merged the two threads as it is a common theme and you will find the information about her on this one.

L

·
0 Posts
Hi Leo

Tony Hethrington was chief for a couple of trips when I was on the Joya a great chief, Fred Capstik was extra second and I still hear from him at Xmas.As you say lots of stories and memories
Hi Magnus.
Your right about Tony Hethrington, a superb guy. I think I sailed with Fred Capstick on the Hardwicke Grange in the 60's. Am I right in saying he was from Tyneside area? Mention my name(Leo Hannan) I was Captain's Tiger at the time. I last sailed with Tony on the Furness Bridge but haven't heard of him since.
Regards
Leo
PS Although I might have sailed with Fred on the Joya McCance as 3rd Eng. Ronnie Marr was Junior 2nd. Eng at the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to you all , My Name is Steve Dandridge . I joined The Beauval In Christiansans South , Norway As a first Trip D H U , For Her Maiden Voyage . About a 6 Month Trip Ending in Cork If i Remember correctly , Good Days !1

·
Banned
48 Posts
Welcome aboard

Steve, a warm welcome to you on your first posting. Looking at the port that you joined her, I suspect this was on her delivery into Houlders? She was a very fine ship and very speedy.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Beauval

We were still eating Norweigen tinned herring in sundry sauces when I sailed in her!!!
Regards Arch.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Arch,

That is very true... and endless tubes of Norwegian Shrimp Paste, that not only looked like toothpaste, but tasted a bit like it also. (Jester)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Just found thread I was eng cadet jan74 to june74 stan jacobson was old man. and he paid for all our drinks on the flight home from Philly
stuart(Pint)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts