Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone recall the cargo vessel KAMINA losing Sodium Cyanide containers in the Pacific near the coast of Chile, 1994-1995? I believe that after the containers were found and dumped into the Chilean Trench, the vessel disappeared. I think it was sold, moved to Vietnam and operated once again under a different name. Would love to find that new name and/or a photo of the ship.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does anyone recall the cargo vessel KAMINA losing Sodium Cyanide containers in the Pacific near the coast of Chile, 1994-1995? I believe that after the containers were found and dumped into the Chilean Trench, the vessel disappeared. I think it was sold, moved to Vietnam and operated once again under a different name. Would love to find that new name and/or a photo of the ship.
I,m not sure if this is the vessel you are looking for but the only KAMINA I can find other than a couple of warships !!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think not but thank you, backsplice! I once before had tracked it down but it slipped out of my 79 year old brain. Time will tell.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hello Bob, I have posted a photo of a Ro-Ro Container Vessel named Kamina, I don't know if it is the one you are looking for..

Cheers Frank

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Frank. Where might I find the photo? I am an old geezer and fumble a lot!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks Frank. Where might I find the photo? I am an old geezer and fumble a lot!
Bob, It is in the gallery, in the Ro-Ro section.....At the top of the home page next to your Avatar, you click the balloon "New" and then click New Gallery and at the bottom of the page click Media and you will see a list of the different types of vessels.....

Cheers Frank

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that is the one. We (American Underwater Search and Survey) spent nearly a year in Chile looking for three containers that fell from the vessel. Eventually found and moved them into the deep trench about due west of Valparaiso. Took a very long time using sidescan sonar, underwater TV and three different vessels. My Spanish improved tremendously! The mystery that remains is where is the KAMINA now, and what is her new name? Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yes, that is the one. We (American Underwater Search and Survey) spent nearly a year in Chile looking for three containers that fell from the vessel. Eventually found and moved them into the deep trench about due west of Valparaiso. Took a very long time using sidescan sonar, underwater TV and three different vessels. My Spanish improved tremendously! The mystery that remains is where is the KAMINA now, and what is her new name? Cheers, Bob
Bob, I have posted the photo in the gallery, so in the next few days hopefully someone will post the details/record of her

Frank

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Bill. I guess that is most likely the ship, but I don't see why there's no mention of her being in the coastal trade near Chile during 1994. Perhaps she was in a lot of places that do not appear? Cheers!

Bob R

·
Registered
515 Posts
Kamina belonged to OT Africa Line and was utilised on their round world service, a search for Tor Belgia will bring lots of photos.

Tor Belgia (ex-Tor Britannia, ex-Maersk Kent, ex-Kamina, ex-Ville du Havre, ex-Foss Havre). IMO 7624063. Ro-Ro. Length 193 m, 10.543 t. Swedish flag. Classification society Bureau Veritas. Built in 1978 in Dunkerque (France) by Dunkerque-Normandie ; jumboized in 1994 and lengthened from 170 to 193 m. Owned by Norbulk Shipping AB (Sweden). Detained in 2004 in Porgrunn (Norway). After a final change in name and flag on June 1st 2010, Tor Belgia, coming to Dubai Gate under the Panamanian flag, was finally sold for demolition to India.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts