Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am putting together a work history of my dad Benjamin Charles Velander. In 1937 he sailed on the Voltaire then on the Duchess of York his next ship was the Kathleen 163251 reg in Rochester to J P Knight but I can find no other information about her other than her gross tonnage was 47 tons has anybody any info about what kind of ship she was and what she did.

many thanks
Frank

·
Registered
253 Posts
Built Cowes, Isle of Wight, in 1936, and registered Rochester same year. Steel motor vessel, 60' 3" in length, 15' 4" beam, depth of holds 6' 3". Gross tonnage 47 tons. Engine horse power 260 BHP. Ownership as above - JP Knight Ltd, 12 Water Lane, Great Tower Street, London, EC3. Managed by Percy HP Knight, same address.

Dave W

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hello Frank,
This do***ent available from TNA Kew, will tell you details of her ownership from 1936 until she was deleted from the British register in 1989.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13529579

To find out "what kind of ship she was and what she did" try a mail to
Rochester Guildhall Museum
High Street, Rochester, Kent ME1 1PY

Incidently, was your dad born 27/4/1920 in Cork?

regards
Roger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger

Thanks for the info will follow it up. You have my dads birth details right how do you know them.

cheers
Frank

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I remember the Kathleen very well. She was one of Knight's smaller tugs and usually towed lighters probably of wood pulp or timber from The Thames to The Medway and vice versa. Some shiphandling was carried our on a small scale. Although officially based at Rochester on the Medway she spent more time on The Thames and often spent the weekend at Gravesend or Woolwich. Late in life she was involved in the land reclamation at Mucking Bight, just west of Thames Haven.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Roger

Thanks for the info will follow it up. You have my dads birth details right how do you know them.

cheers
Frank
Hello Frank,
This information is in the public domain.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8152558

This would be his Seamans "Pouch"
Records relating to individual seamen filed together in a pouch. These do***ents may include application forms (most with a photograph of the seaman), certificates, identity cards, cessation do***ents and notifications of death. Should also contain ships he sailed on up until early 1941.

Also
He may have a form CRS10 which will tell you all the vessels he sailed on from early 1941.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=bt382/1847&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

These records are stored alphabetically in blocks of 60 names. You would be advised to visit Kew to view. You may or may not have these details already.
I cannot find a WW2 medal card for him.
Thanks to Tommy Robb we now know that KATHLEEN was a tug. Bit of a change from your dads two previous vessels.

regards
Roger

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Kathleen, was there not or is there not an " Irish ballard" i take you home Kathleen, or words to that effect.
I sailed as a j/e with s geordie/ teesider j/e who had in the last port of call recieved a "dear john"? And every so often he would burst into song about kathleen, as he wept a tear!!! The whole ships company where aware of kathleen!!!!
Ps are you now shedding that tear for kathleen, and memories past???

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
47 GRT, L18,20M, B4,67m, D1,92m (60'x15'4")
1 fpp, diesel 3cyl Allen, 260bhp

KATHLEEN
1936: Built by "John Samuel White & Co Ltd" at East Cowes, Isle of Wight (GBR)
1936: delivered to "J.P. Knight (London) Ltd" at London (GBR)
1939: requisitioned by the UK Navy (?? Admiralty ??), based at Chatham (GBR)
1947 -28/03: returned to owners
1970: broken up at Rochester (GBR)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts