Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The attached thumbnail is of a class that graduated from King Teds in March of 1964.

As far as I can remember, and forgive the spellings, the names were.

Back Row Standing (L to R)...Davis(Caltex); Warman(RFA); Dunford(Houlders): Grant (Alfred Holt); Garret(Houlders); May(Houlders).

Front Row Sitting (L to R)...Abbot(?); ? (BP); Shepherd (Andrew Weir); Cobban (?).

Missing...Toothill(Caltex).

Where did you go and where are all of you now?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
I was at Edward VII in 1952- too early for you whippersnappers! Did they still have the nurses dances? Is it still there today?

Split
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
King Teds Pre Sea

Not sure which class this would be?

I was at King Teds from Sept 03 to June/July 04 --------- I always thought that Pre Sea was fixed to a one year course? But maybe there were swhort courses too and of course MAR/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
waiwera said:
Not sure which class this would be?

I was at King Teds from Sept 03 to June/July 04 --------- I always thought that Pre Sea was fixed to a one year course? But maybe there were swhort courses too and of course MAR/
Most of the pre-sea courses were one year in duration and the entrants were sixteen years of age. This particular course was six months in duration and most of the eleven participants were slightly older. As a result, the remission of seatime they received was less.

Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Thanks for the prompt response Nova Scotian

Just goes to show how you forget these points of detail . Take it that these good fellows also boarded at the corner of Cromwell and Gloucester Roads??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
waiwera said:
Thanks for the prompt response Nova Scotian

Just goes to show how you forget these points of detail . Take it that these good fellows also boarded at the corner of Cromwell and Gloucester Roads??
In 1958 there was a one term course with 2 months remission of sea service and a one year course with 7 months remission. Yes, the residence was at Cromwell & Gloucetser Roads, Managers were a Mr. Owen and his wife, great people, Weekday Captain was Capt. Miller and also a full time resident Captain, forget his name but never his temper.

BEA stewardess residence across the street, Bert in Mary Poppins was a rookie compared to our lot hopping over the roof's of South Ken after lights out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Ke V11

Split said:
I was at Edward VII in 1952- too early for you whippersnappers! Did they still have the nurses dances? Is it still there today?

Split
I attended KE V11 NC think it must have been May - July 1952 joined BTC (as it was then) 9/9/1952. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Snowbow Video TANKERS has quite a long clip of tutors and Capt Chase,must have been taken 1951. send me pm for further details.
Regards,
Mac.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
We probably knew each other by sight although we all had our groups, didn't we? I was there from for about 4 months from April.

Split
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Split said:
We probably knew each other by sight although we all had our groups, didn't we? I was there from for about 4 months from April.

Split
When our program started there was already a one-year program running. Our group was small (11 in all) and we had our own schedule. I don't remember combining with any of the other courses, although we shared the same residence in Cromwell Road and travelled the Tube together to Redmonds Road. It was a very intense program and we covered most of the theory identified in the one-year program along with all the hands on sessions like sailing, boating at Temple and the trip on the "Glen". Having spent 25 years in marine education, I can honestly say it was one of the best training programs I have been involved in. My first trip to sea would have been a lot tougher without the experience.

Cheers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
48 Posts
Nova Scotian said:
When our program started there was already a one-year program running. Our group was small (11 in all) and we had our own schedule. I don't remember combining with any of the other courses, although we shared the same residence in Cromwell Road and travelled the Tube together to Redmonds Road. It was a very intense program and we covered most of the theory identified in the one-year program along with all the hands on sessions like sailing, boating at Temple and the trip on the "Glen". Having spent 25 years in marine education, I can honestly say it was one of the best training programs I have been involved in. My first trip to sea would have been a lot tougher without the experience.

Cheers.
Yes, wise words.

I had totally forgotten there was a short program as well as the year long one - I remember arriving for the start of the year and trying to sign on for the short one .... based on envy rather than ability; as a result I stayed where I was and did the 12 month course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
I did my Mid Apprentice course at King Teds(or should I say the Coopers Arms or the Prospects of Whitby, and other places!!!!) in Sept to Dec '68. My question is , what was the name of the trawler on the river that we did our RT bit of the course on? Can anyone help me on this one? Something says ??Strathallan, just can't remember.
Murdo
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
793 Posts
That brings back some memories. I was on MAR 2 at King Teds in autumn 1964 and then back there for Second Mates late summer 65. Bulwark is so right about the Coopers Arms and other well known local hostelries convenient to the "Stack of Bricks". That fine hostel on the corner of, if I recall, Salmon Lane - which at the time was location of London's smartest Chinese resturant - the cheaper take-aways were down West India Dock Road. You wouldn't recognise the place driving around there today ? Rgds, Chris Allport
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I was at Edward VII in 1952- too early for you whippersnappers! Did they still have the nurses dances? Is it still there today?

Split
I was there during the Autmun term 1951 just the one term. Louis Mann elesewhere mentioned in this thread when he was Mate on the Glen Strathallen, was a contemporary classmate. The house super was a Mr Gulliver then but all the other names at school and afloat were the same.
One of those strange co-incidences, Capt Griffiths was the master of a loaned yacht the "Berenice" to enter the first Tall Ships race 1956 and manned by the King George VII Nautical College She came 8th (last) in the under 100 ton category. Forty years on my son William joined the same vessel as Mate and did two seasons on her chartering to the well heeled around the Med. He paid off last November in Malta. 'Berenice' is still there awaiting a new owner.
Yes we had the nurses dances under the scrutiny of Mr Gulliver's eagle eye
and sometimes managed a tryst outside of the house in one of the nearby gardens or Parks. I was a very keen model boat builder and used to spend Sundays up at the Round Pond testing ne designs.
Great fun, many happy memories of good pals and adventure looming ahead
at sea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
KEVII Nautical College1951

Yes I am known in the business as a 'Wrinkly'. Got more than my fair share these days. Seen alot of mail submitted to SN a few years back concerning those at KEVII. Just interested to know if there are any others like me who were there in '51. when Captain Chase was about. And that master of tuition Gwym Williams was at Commercial road. Complete with his black beard, he became Master of the sail training vessel Winston Churchill not long after I left I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
And that master of tuition Gwym Williams was at Commercial road. Complete with his black beard, he became Master of the sail training vessel Winston Churchill not long after I left I think.
Sabastopol,
Are you thinking of Captain Griffiths at Commercial Road? He was Master of the Wendorian & went on to become Master of the Winston Churchill. There is a photo of him here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/38630/cat/500/sort/2/ppuser/912/sl/j
Kind regards,
John
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top