Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Attached is a class photo of BP apprentices who attended the MAR course at the Stack o' Bricks, Salmon Lane, in the autumn of 1964.

Names of people in the photo are:

Around the table, going anti-clockwise from the right......
A S (Steve) Banyard; Harvey Bennett (me), J P Carter; J E Davies; P C T Edwards; W R Fitzgerald; S C O (Steve?) Forth; S (Steve) Hamill; N E (Neil) Hannam; M Harris; M E (Mike) Hayton; R L (Rod) Lake; S Lawrence; A E Mann; S R Montague.

At the back of the room: left to right:
Mr A F Sawyer (Training Dept); Barry Witham; M D (Mike) Salmon; Mr J Nobes (Training Dept).

The photo was taken on one of the induction days at Britannic House in Finsbury Circus, London.

Are there any of this class members of Ships Nostalgia? (Wave)
Interesting photograph.I was on that MAR Course from Port Line. Recognise a number of faces, particularly Peter Edwards who was best man at my wedding and Tony Mann from Conway days.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It was a great 3 months.....particularly the dances that we organised with live music and a free bar!

We were not forgiven by the young ladies in the Typing Pool at Britannic House. They thought they'd scuppered our 3rd dance evening by saying they'd all come along, but then boycotted us en masse. Thank goodness we'd oversubscribed with nurses from the local hospital at Poplar!

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Harvey,
I have some good memories of that 3 months in Limehouse - still got a few momentos stowed away? We certainly had some fun. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then and I have lost tough with everyone on the course. Be interesting to see if you get any further responses.
I recall something about an escapade through the Greenwich tunnel to the Dreadnaught Seamans Hospital where the Matron caught some of us in the Nurses quarters late one evening? Think there were a few similar events around the East End.
Chris

·
Registered
489 Posts
Christ,
I still have some photos from one of the dances that we organised...nothing too embarrassing, mind you. I'm sure I can discern a slight alcoholic haze in the dining hall.

I can remember some shenanigans at the Poplar nurses home, but not the Dreadnought. Clearly I missed out!

A half pint at every pub on the Commercial Road was one of the challenges of a Friday night...I don't remember doing more than a mile. Live music at some of the pubs made it a really great night out.

Harvey

·
Registered
489 Posts
Loops, spell check on the iPad has renamed you, Chris. I didn't realise that Apple offered a "Christening" facilty; I must explore more and see if it does baptisms!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peter,

Found these posts after someone asked me a question about KEVII and I had a memory failure so resorted to Google as usual.

Pretty sure it was Richard Dean, John Dicken and me Peter Costalas - (but can only gtee the last one).

Peter Costalas

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was there from Sept 1960 until Sept 1961 and returned for the Mid App Course from Dec 1963 until the end of March 1964. Can't remember many of the names save Dave Vann, David Absalom, Rod (?) and Peter McGowan who is still a close friend. Saurday nights at Cromwell Road - on the Circle line with platform tickets, a case of beer and two guitars. Mid App Course - more sightings of heavenly bodies on prime verticals resulted in many of us using the time ashore as a recce for a landlubber's life - Ray Gaubert

·
Registered
10 Posts
Graham 506606 or something like that.

I attended KE V11 NC think it must have been May - July 1952 joined BTC (as it was then) 9/9/1952. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Snowbow Video TANKERS has quite a long clip of tutors and Capt Chase,must have been taken 1951. send me pm for further details.
Regards,
Mac.
Hello you youngsters. I was there in 1948?9 before joining Dornoch shipping via Lambert Brothers.Did 4 years as apprentice aboard ss coulbeg for tow years then ss coulgarve. Any memories revived if so please let me know. Thanks graham

·
Registered
577 Posts
I was at King Teds for the same period. If I remember correctly (and there's no guarantee of that) you were the one who had done a trip as bridge boy on a Royal Mail passenger ship (Andes?)before starting pre-sea. I remember Wood and even the presentation of the bottle of gin, I remember him growling something like 'never touch the stuff' as he carefully stashed it. Most of the names of the cadets have faded from my memory bank, but I do remember a Coe, a Groves (Joe), a Nind, a Dry and Malcolm Adams who I roomed with. I can also still see faces that I can no longer put a name to. I joined Paddy Henderson from College, but just did my time there. I finished my seafaring with an ENG3 after heart surgery in '97, and retired from all work 18 months ago.
John Brooks

I was at King Teds from September to December 1958.

The resident Captain at Comwell Road was Captain Woods, an ex cable ship master I believe. You remember we had a duty cadet at the front door. One night a couple of Jehovah’s Witnesses knocked on the door. The cadet answered it - Captain Woods could see down the hall from his office and yelled out "Who is it" "Jehovah’s Witnesses " answered the cadet, "Take them on the roof and hang them shouted Captai Woods, muttering "they ought to be hung, they ought to be squashed" This became a catch phrase for our group. Before we left we clubbed together and bought Captain Woods a bottle of gin, a beverage of which he was fond.

Our class tutor was Captain Hyde, Keith, who I met again at Plymouth when on the first mid-appreticeship release course.

The teachers at the nautical schools in those days were great men.
None better than Captain Warren Hopwood at Plymouth - a genus of a teacher. I can still recall his lectures all these years on.

I joined Eagle Oil & Shipping Company in January 1959 and retired this year in March 2011, having been involved in shipping continuously since 1959, ship master, pilot in Saudi Arabia and Australia and more recently in management in the offshore oil and gas industry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I spent a short time there around 1966/7 (I think?) Capt Farquhar and Capt Ted Coolen (?spellings) were there. I shared a room with Dean, Dicken and Costalis, first names included Peter and Richard but can't remember who had which one!

Anyone one remember me? - Peter Barker
Peter Costalas was with me in Plymouth for Second Mates' in 1971. He married a Plymouth lass named Sue, and I last heard of him working ashore in Belgium. Try him on Facebook. Alan Knight R852482.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Did a 6 month course there from, seem to remember, Jan ~ June '57. Know the year's correct but not sure of the months. Was definitely there in May because a Polish Countess was murdered in Gloucester Road tube station, just over the road from our digs.

I know we never stopped working, day and late evenings, seven days a week. Half of what we did - including being taught how to kill with no weapon - would certainly not be PC in these changed times. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there which set me up for a very memorable apprenticeship and future career with EDs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Memories are fading now.

Hello all, I was also there in 1948/9.Also a great time.(*))
Then joined SS Coulbeg of Lambert Bros for four years.
Great Time at sea. Taught me so much, when I came ashore did my National Service in the Military Police in the 193 Ports Company dealing with troopships at Liverpool, Southampton and Harwich.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was there 2 years after you, by that time they had stopped the nurses dance. However the young ladies from the ballet school house were a great comfort.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have posted a detailed account of time at the college when a 'short term' course boarder from Sept to Dec 1959. Anyone interested will find an illustrated do***ents plus a diary of when I joined my first ship belonging to Strick Line Ltd.
This is posted on the website of www.benjidog.co.uk/Recollections

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was at KE VII on a three months' pre-sea course, sent there by Shell, January to April 1957. I remember one of the Sunday activities to pass the time was to buy a single-stop underground ticket and then record how many underground stations you could visit during the course of the day without getting trapped or caught. There was great competition between groups.
The finale of the course was a trip from St Katherines Dock down to Southend and back on the Wendorian.
I returned to KE VII for my 2nd Mates, staying in the hostel over the road from the college (Jack's Palace?).
Three months pre-sea was probably enough, I think, although there were boys on a full year's course, too.
From KE VII I was sent off the Aberdovey Outward Bound for a month, a fairly brutal regime at that time, and freezing cold, and then went to sea as apprentice on the Capsa.

Mike Offord

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I too was at King Teds in the late early 1960s, with Houlder Lines .
However the reason I am doing this is the launch Sir John Cass which was used for radar courses & based at Woolwich. Now I am Secretary of the Bedford Branch of the World Ship Society & a shot turned up of her passing Greenwich with the foot tunnel in the background. Has anyone got her history please/
David Menzies

·
Banned
220 Posts
I too was at King Teds in the late early 1960s, with Houlder Lines .
However the reason I am doing this is the launch Sir John Cass which was used for radar courses & based at Woolwich. Now I am Secretary of the Bedford Branch of the World Ship Society & a shot turned up of her passing Greenwich with the foot tunnel in the background. Has anyone got her history please/
David Menzies
I also sat my radar observer's ticket on the Sir John Cass in 1962. Could you post the photo you have of her on here please?

Kind regards.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
That brings back some memories. I was on MAR 2 at King Teds in autumn 1964 and then back there for Second Mates late summer 65. Bulwark is so right about the Coopers Arms and other well known local hostelries convenient to the "Stack of Bricks". That fine hostel on the corner of, if I recall, Salmon Lane - which at the time was location of London's smartest Chinese resturant - the cheaper take-aways were down West India Dock Road. You wouldn't recognise the place driving around there today ? Rgds, Chris Allport
The Chinese restaurant that was famed for its authentic cuisine was called The Good Friends and was on Salmon Lane a little way up from Cooper's Arms on the same side. All gone now of course but we used to go there long after MAR days.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts