Ships Nostalgia banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
King Edward Vll NC

Just for the record, King Edward's was the next step in the education of many ex pupils of the Royal Merchant Navy School who followed their fathers into the Merchant Navy. As Alumni Secretary for the Old Royals Association I am in touch with quite a few of them from the 1940s and 1950s.
I was at KEVll in '51 and looking for any class mates still around.
Trying to log a scrip of all the good and fun times, happenings that took part - any year for posterity and nostalgia.
Don't believe any book form or write-up exists re: this fine upstanding and one of a kind nautical college.
Appreciate any response.
Tom.
(Applause)

· Registered
81 Posts
Watching the preparations for the Jubilee Pageant.
What a shame the old Wendorian is long gone.She would have looked a treat in St.Katherines dock where she regularly berthed.
Probably would not have seen her as the BBC coverage, of the vessels, was very patchy and disappointing. Too many 'celebs' and too few boats.
Not been into St Katherines Dock on Wendorian only Wapping Basin but has gone as well now.

· Registered
281 Posts
Probably would not have seen her as the BBC coverage, of the vessels, was very patchy and disappointing. Too many 'celebs' and too few boats.
Not been into St Katherines Dock on Wendorian only Wapping Basin but has gone as well now.
Was fortunate on one occasion to join her in Lowestoft and came round the coast and up the Thames,what an experience for a sixteen year old.
Unfortunately on the way up the Thames we hit a submerged obstacle,the river was filthy then and full of flotsam and jetsum,which damaged the propellor and we had to limp into Deptford Creek.
Obvious joke of the day"up Deptford Creek without a propellor"
I also remember very well getting pantry duty and scraping plates of uneaten tinned pilchards into the slops bucket and trying not to add to the mess.Must have been choppy!

· Registered
3 Posts
King Ted's - Captain Warren Hopwood RIP

Apologies for cross-posting if you've already seen this elsewhere.

Captain Warren Hopwood, whose first teaching post was at King Ted's when it was the Nautical *School*, died on 14 July 2012 aged 88. The funeral was held on 23 July.

Wish him safe passage through uncharted waters.

Mark
====

· Registered
22 Posts
I was at King Teds for the four month pre-sea course, September 1962 to December 1962.

I remember the smogs and the noise of Cromwell Road. And the LCC Stepney Insititute where most lessons were held, (I think?).. And 4 fabulous days on the Glen Strathallen off the Thames estuary. And rowing a whaler in West India Dock. And we learned small boat-handling on the Cabot, a small but nippy motor boat moored against the Wellington.

And I remember watches and being duty officer for the evening, ringing the bell, etc.. And lots of homework and study... and playing football against Port watch (I was Starboard), up at the Wormwood Scrubs pitches..... it was all great, working on charts, learning navigation theory, necessary maths, etc..I even remember we had to pick one evening class a week on any subject of oyr choice. I think that's really imaginative, instigates a sense of the importance of continual learning which I've not forgot... I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, the teachers were very good mostly, and it made me really want to get to sea and I felt well-prepared when I joined my first ship.

Hat's off the King Edward VII Nautical College, a great institution.

· Registered
39 Posts
RE: Your amazing story of the flour bag.

I was up for my master when a King Ted young man for 2 mates went before the examiners wearing a flour bag. he was asked to leave.The senior examiner asked to see the principle of King Teds
That's interesting and good to add to the book I'm trying to write about KEV11 (Scribe)
I was one of the early birds - did a full course in 1951
Would appreciate you telling the full story, the period and any other interests happen while you were at the college.
Are you in touch with others ?

Either on here or go to my (open) email [email protected]

· Registered
7 Posts
Ke7

Hi - I attended KE7 from January 1953 untl January 1954
on my first day we were confronted by Capt Johansen who told us to call him Jo. the other instuctors were Mr Brown , Capt Griffiths, Capt
hussey who if my memory serves told us he served some time on
cable layers and we should never use gloves when handling wire
cables as a broken strand can stick in the glove and if you cant get your hand out quickly it can take it round the winch drum and you
can loose fingers which he said he was speaking from first hand (pun
not intended)
I can only remember a few students from my year Butler,Debney,
Sebbage, Mendus,Ayres, Willoughby, and now my mind is a blank.
I have many good memories and I could fill pages but I wont boor
you now.
If I can think of anything really interesting Ill come back again God
willing

· Registered
79 Posts
janmike

I also was on the short course Sept '54, memorial service at St. Pauls, memorial service at Tower Hill. First trip to sea with BTC Jan.55. Should also mention as in a previous thread took the Wendorian from Lowestoft to London Dock. It is a shame it is all posh now.

Found out the other day that my wifes ancestors had a shop across the road from 680 and Limehouse churchyard.

My father had a book bindery just up the road in Bethnal Green from the school

· Registered
5 Posts
David Blagg

Dear Ronald,

I remember you at KEII. Was in the same short course as you January 1953 for 3 months. David Blagg and I were previously classmates at grammar school before going to King Ted's. Do you know if he is still around and still in Newfoundland?

Doug Brodie

· Read Only
22 Posts
I did an apprentice mid release course at king teds/stack of bricks, n remember the coopers arms, prospect of whitby/bethnall green nurses/ ally palace etc.
I was a Denholm apprentice, year 1965, remember having to stand on the Wellington, as Churchill passed on his coffin.
Rod Holroyd

· Registered
7,416 Posts
Was the 'lantern test' always used for the colour-blindness check? At school in the 1950s (perhaps associated with the RAF cadet force at school) and later when attending RAF Hornchurch for aircrew selection, I had the Ishihara test by means of books (no lanterns or any other kind of lights were involved) containing colour plates that had a background of one colour of dots into which a number had been inserted by means of dots of another colour. The examiner/medic flipped through the pages and each number had to be spoken or written down (RAF) as it was recognised.

The same test was used by the doctor to whom I was sent by Marconi prior to getting my discharge book and joining my first ship.

· Registered
281 Posts
Was the 'lantern test' always used for the colour-blindness check? At school in the 1950s (perhaps associated with the RAF cadet force at school) and when attending RAF Hornchurch for aircrew selection I had the Ishihara test by means of books containing colour plates that had a background of one colour of dots and a number inserted in the form of dots of another colour. The examiner/medic flipped through the pages and the numbers had to be spoked or written down (RAF) as they were recognised.

The same test was used by the doctor to whom I was sent by Marconi prior to getting my discharge book and joining my first ship.
I had the dubious privilege of failing the lantern test after finishing my apprenticeship with Bank Line and being advised that I could take my 2nd Mates exams and have them stamped "Failed Eyesight". I didn't, and ended up a year later operating a wireless in the R A F doing my National Service!
Did the pre-apprentice one year course at K E VII,'53/4 prior to joining Bank Line.

· Registered
200 Posts
Spent time at 680 Commercial Rd - had the room on the first floor looking directly over the junction as in Keltic Star photo above (thanks for this very nostalgic pic) - and at the Stack of Bricks up the road. around 1967/68 as engineer cadet. Great days.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts