Ships Nostalgia banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Reference KE V11. I was at pre school at Sir John Cass in Aldgate then moved to the school in Commercial Road before joining SSCoulbeg a coal burner. First trip from Jarrow to Montreal had several days four on four off on focsle head looking for ice bergs in thick fog. Having loaded general cargo for Africa my cabin mate and I became trimmers for three weeks ,as two Arab firemen went sick.
Great time but too much work to study. But I did two years on Coalbag the two years on SS Coulgarve.Great life.Then became a policeman in Cornwall.Graham Williams. I have forgotten my discharge book number. Any advice please.

· Registered
1 Posts
the principal at my time was Captain E K Ballard, I particularly remember Captain Farqua...or Farquason, big man with a big beard.
I came across 'first term kit instructions' recently cerca 1967, I was ok until I got to '1 plastic stiff white collar', I rember that!
does anyone have the 'college badge' that we had on the blazer's breast pocket?...or the design?

· Premium Member
11,408 Posts
Reference KE V11. I was at pre school at Sir John Cass in Aldgate then moved to the school in Commercial Road before joining SSCoulbeg a coal burner. First trip from Jarrow to Montreal had several days four on four off on focsle head looking for ice bergs in thick fog. Having loaded general cargo for Africa my cabin mate and I became trimmers for three weeks ,as two Arab firemen went sick.
Great time but too much work to study. But I did two years on Coalbag the two years on SS Coulgarve.Great life.Then became a policeman in Cornwall.Graham Williams. I have forgotten my discharge book number. Any advice please.
Perhaps "Don't worry", Graham? Not much call for policeman at sea. Not even one of the multitude of young looking ones we see about. Anyway you probably would just need to pay the same again to renew if you had to.

· Registered
155 Posts
the principal at my time was Captain E K Ballard, I particularly remember Captain Farqua...or Farquason, big man with a big beard.
I came across 'first term kit instructions' recently cerca 1967, I was ok until I got to '1 plastic stiff white collar', I rember that!
does anyone have the 'college badge' that we had on the blazer's breast pocket?...or the design?
I was there in 68 for my MAR course, and we could wear our company badge on our blazers. As I was with Hain-Nourse they had come up with a very uninspiring HN on a flag, so I wore the MN badge with all the gold trimmings and the crown. Not that it impressed the Birds in the Coopers Arms much:rolleyes:

· Registered
581 Posts
I did an apprentice mid release course at king teds/stack of bricks, n remember the coopers arms, prospect of whitby/bethnall green nurses/ ally palace etc.
I was a Denholm apprentice, year 1965, remember having to stand on the Wellington, as Churchill passed on his coffin.
Rod Holroyd
Sounds like my time there for MAR in Jan to March 1969. I well remember the Coopers Arms, run by Bill and Grace. Good times and at the weekends we would go to the teachers collage dances.

· Registered
1 Posts
Peter Turner

I was at King Teds Sept 63 until July 64. I shared a cabin with Greenway and Omoteso.
Then an Apprentice with Overseas Tankship UK. (Caltex / Regent / Texaco) & 3rd Mate
Then Panocean 2nd Mate and Ch Off - Stolt Tankers Master - Offen Tankers Master

· Registered
251 Posts
King Teds

I was at King Teds Sept 63 until July 64. I shared a cabin with Greenway and Omoteso.
Then an Apprentice with Overseas Tankship UK. (Caltex / Regent / Texaco) & 3rd Mate
Then Panocean 2nd Mate and Ch Off - Stolt Tankers Master - Offen Tankers Master
We were at King Teds at the same time. I was on the short course that concluded in March 1964. I remember cheerful Omoteso (we sat Second Mates at London together) and Greenway. Two of my room mates, Russ Davis and Neil Toothill, joined Caltex. Debarr and Bell were senior cadets and you probably recall the three Persian cadets. There is a picture of my entry in my gallery.

Peter Dunford

· Registered
8 Posts
Another Old Boy

Hello there, I attended King Ted's on the 3 month short course Jan - March 1961 and again at 680 Commercial Road for 2nd Mates Revision in Oct/Nov 1964. I arrived a fortnight after term started in Jan '61 but must have caught up by the half term exams as I was then made Cadet Captain (Port) at Gloucester Road with the privilege of my own single cabin! Joined B&C on leaving and spent my first voyage on the Rothesay Castle.

Roger Underwood

· Registered
4 Posts
I am coming to this discussion very late, so excuses for that. I was on the pre-sea course Sept-Dec 1958 and then did my 3 years 11 months (one month remission!) with Alfred Holt. I remember the trip on the Wendorian when she went down the Thames and round to the owners place in Norfolk. The trip has been written about elsewhere on the site, mentioning the collision in fog with a lighter. That made "shiver me timbers!" more real as we split the bow-sprit. I remember a trip ashore in Southend and a little under-age drinking. Well, it is all part of the education. When visiting London, I still get that nostalgic feeling for the Wellington and boat training on the river. The Docks where we sailed without a rudder have long gone, but the building is still there on the corner of Cromwell and Gloucester. Changing tubes at Aldgate East some mornings with the guard shouting "Awgate East, aw get art".
Those three months were a great start and so many things are still fixed in my brain. It was just a pity that the PT instructor thought that I was his size and weight in the unarmed combat classes.
Seeing the photos of the crew that took the Wendorian down the Thames, was a real surprise when I came across it a couple of day ago. Sixty years ago!

· Registered
17 Posts
I am coming to this discussion very late, so excuses for that. I was on the pre-sea course Sept-Dec 1958 and then did my 3 years 11 months (one month remission!) with Alfred Holt. I remember the trip on the Wendorian when she went down the Thames and round to the owners place in Norfolk. The trip has been written about elsewhere on the site, mentioning the collision in fog with a lighter. That made "shiver me timbers!" more real as we split the bow-sprit. I remember a trip ashore in Southend and a little under-age drinking. Well, it is all part of the education. When visiting London, I still get that nostalgic feeling for the Wellington and boat training on the river. The Docks where we sailed without a rudder have long gone, but the building is still there on the corner of Cromwell and Gloucester. Changing tubes at Aldgate East some mornings with the guard shouting "Awgate East, aw get art".
Those three months were a great start and so many things are still fixed in my brain. It was just a pity that the PT instructor thought that I was his size and weight in the unarmed combat classes.
Seeing the photos of the crew that took the Wendorian down the Thames, was a real surprise when I came across it a couple of day ago. Sixty years ago!
Hi Richard,

We must have met as I was on the same course, same time. I went on to BP. Have attached a photo taken aboard the Wendorian which must have been October/November 1958. I am on the extreme left.

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi Richard,

We must have met as I was on the same course, same time. I went on to BP. Have attached a photo taken aboard the Wendorian which must have been October/November 1958. I am on the extreme left.
Thanks for the message. It is good to know that there are still some of us around. It is difficult to remember everyone on the course, or even the teachers. They stay with me for things they said like "one hand for yourself, one hand for the job and one hand for the company" or "don't leave holidays" before I knew what holidays were. it didn't take long one the big ships to learn what a holiday was. It looks from the tag to your name that you only stayed in the Merchant Navy to 1964. I left in 1963 after getting my Second Mate's ticket. But having that meant that in my first summer vacation from University Blue Funnel took me back on to look after and load ships in the Birkenhead Docks. Good pay and lots of time to read all the books for the following year. Since then I have been involved in film/photography and music for most of my working life. Now retired and living in a little village in Switzerland.

Every visit to London brings back memories of those three months which were pretty dramatic as a first time away from home. I hope that you are well and content.

· Registered
36 Posts
Dear Ronald,

I remember you at KEII. Was in the same short course as you January 1953 for 3 months. David Blagg and I were previously classmates at grammar school before going to King Ted's. Do you know if he is still around and still in Newfoundland?

Doug Brodie
He's still alive and kicking in Newfoundland

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. I came across this website and this thread after my dad shared his recollections with me about his time at King Edward's Nautical College. I thought I'd google it, see if it was still there, what it looked like etc., and came across this thread and the opening post, which is why I am posting here - my dad was also a boarder there in '64. He has told me about travelling across London to Whitechapel everyday, about the practical being in Millwall Docks, and learning to sail in some gravel pits near Teddington and the Dockyard Chatham. He said most cadets were from London and so went home at the weekend, so those from further afield stayed at the hall of residence and this is where the greatest friendships were formed .I wondered if any of you here knew him, or if you have any photos from this time? Perhaps if someone replies I can share more details. Thank you.

· Registered
3 Posts
I was at King Teds 58-59 and boarded at Gloucester Road. Very fortunate to manage 3 trips on the Wendorian. The second was from Lowestoft in January, where she had been in minor refit over Xmas. Boy was it cold!! One of our class had left the course before Xmas, and taken a trip on a North Sea trawler and we met him in a pub. Even though he was on “decky learner” wages, he still had more money than we ever saw. Mercifully he was generous and bought us all a (illegal) pint. As boarders at Gloucester Rd, we were limited to ten bob a week, so not exactly flush! Captain Griffiths was terrific all round, and getting to use his bath after being in the bunkers trimming was absolutely the best. A search on SN will bring up a history of the Wendorian done by one of the members. Very interesting, and puts paid to the story that the yacht had belonged to the King of Spain. A story that I have believed for over 60 years!! I can’t recall many faces from then, and even less names. Stuart Pierce was one, he joined the RFA as did I, but our paths never crossed at sea after that. I did bump into some of our class in 63 when I was back at KEVII for my 2nd Mates, but again, names have faded over the years.
it’s been good to go through this thread and read other guys experiences, brings it all back like yesterday.
Mike Mckie (Mac to all and sundry)

· Registered
8 Posts
I was at King Ted's for the three month course Jan-Mar 1961. I was my first venture away from home at just turned 17. Teachers and classmates names are very hazy now but I have some pleasant and long-lasting memories, Jiujitsu evenings near Earls Court for example. Our trip on the Wendorian was quite a short one just down to Southend Pier and back but I remember the early morning PT on the dockside Brrrrr. During the few days we had a visit from Franklin Engelmann and the BBC 'Down Your Way' team, good publicity for the college evidently. Listening to the broadcast afterwards I had difficulty in relating Engelman's description of the Wendorian with my reality. I remember her as being interesting to sail on but a bit scruffy and careworn, however the presenter spoke of "freshly scrubbed tables" below and gave the impression of everything being spanking clean and freshly painted. It was a good lesson on not to believe everything one hears from the media even if it is the BBC.

· Registered
24 Posts
Hi John:

There is quite a lot of information on King Teds on this site. I left King Teds in
March of 1964. If I remember correctly the Cadet Captain at the time was a David DeBarr (SPL ?). Like you I travelled the tube from Gloucester Road to Aldgate and attended classes above the school in Redmans Road. I remember occaisional classes at 680 Commercial Road and evening classes somewhere in Fulham. A great experience if you can forget about the tripe and onions every Friday.

In 1964 one of the instructors coordinated a news letter that briefly identified the movement and experiences of the graduates that year. The idea was a good one but difficult to manage and it died after a few postings.

I posted a thumbnail of my class last year...you may recognise some of the faces.

Cheers
Hello Nova Scotian I left King Teds in Dec 60 and joined BP I see your in NS where about are you ?. My wife and i live on the eastern shore.
Malcolm Kirk

· Registered
251 Posts
Hello Nova Scotian I left King Teds in Dec 60 and joined BP I see your in NS where about are you ?. My wife and i live on the eastern shore.
Malcolm Kirk
Hi MAlcon:
I’ve been living in Bedford for the last twenty years. On leaving King Teds I was indentured to Houlder Brothers. Second Mates at King Teds, Mates at Tower Hill and Masters here in Halifax. Sailed with ACL and DND before coming ashore and marine training with NSCC for about 25 years.
Regards
Peter Dunford

81 - 100 of 100 Posts