Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For anyone who might be interested I recently commissioned Stephen J Card to paint a picture of Kinnaird Castle. He did a remarkable job! I joined Kinnaird Castle as a first trip deck cadet in Birkenhead in 1971 following a year's pre-sea at Warsash and was one of eleven cadets on board. The others were John Harris, Nigel Hughes, Tony Snell, Tim Broughton, Rick Hamilton, John Gilbert, Chris Thompson, Pete Weston, Bob Nell and Paul Drew. I'm still in touch with John and Nigel. The master was Basil Biggs, C/O Phil Atkinson, 2/O Sam Ondondo, 3/O Dick Thomas, R/O Chas Pratt and the Training Officer was Dick Mennell. I can't remember who the plumbers were so they clearly didn't leave a lasting impression!

Mark Williams

Attachments

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
KINNAIRD CASTLE
O.N. 185040. 7,698g. 4,263n. 465' 0" x 65' 6" x 39' 1".
Three, steam turbines by Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company, Wallsend, installed by J. G. Kincaid & Company Ltd., Greenock, driving screw shaft. 9,400 SHP. 17kts.
17.1.1956: Launched as CLAN ROSS by the Greenock Dockyard Company Ltd., Greenock (Yard No. 487) for The Clan Line Steamers Ltd., (Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., managers).
12.4.1956: Registered at Glasgow.
4.1956: Completed.
1961: Transferred to the South African Marine Corporation, S. Africa, and renamed SOUTH AFRICAN SCIENTIST.
1962: Transferred to The Clan Line Steamers Ltd., (Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., managers), and renamed KINNAIRD CASTLE, and back-chartered to South African Marine Corporation for 6 months.
1966: Transferred to King Line Ltd.
1975: Sold to Dasonab Cia. Naviera S. A., Panama and renamed NAZEER.
26.4.1978: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kinnaird Castle

Thanks Bill. At least she didn't end up like S.A.Shipper (ex Clan Shaw) which ran aground during a gale and broke up off Green Point in 1966, or Ayrshire which was lost after grounding off Socotra ten years earlier. Although not sister ships, I believe they were all from the same family of steamers built in Greenock in the 1950s.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
Thanks Bill. At least she didn't end up like S.A.Shipper (ex Clan Shaw) which ran aground during a gale and broke up off Green Point in 1966, or Ayrshire which was lost after grounding off Socotra ten years earlier. Although not sister ships, I believe they were all from the same family of steamers built in Greenock in the 1950s.
SA Seafarer

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
Ayshire on Abd al Kuri not Socotra

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed Chris - got my S's mixed up! I wasn't at sea at the time of the Ayrshire incident but I remember being told about it by Sandy Campbell when I was 2/O on one of the fruit ships.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
There is no better way to lift your spirits on a dark, misty, cold April morning than to look at a lovely piece of art that you have commissioned. You have a painting by one of the best in the business, congratulations.
When I retired my colleagues had the customary "Whip round" and presented me with a wallet of notes, and I decided to have a painting of one of my favorite ships. Believing Stephen J was way out of my budget I engaged a local marine artist, the excellent Kenneth King, and he did an atmospheric oil much to my liking.
Fruitbat I hope you have many years of enjoyment looking at the Kinnaird Castle and thinking of your good times onboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is no better way to lift your spirits on a dark, misty, cold April morning than to look at a lovely piece of art that you have commissioned. You have a painting by one of the best in the business, congratulations.
When I retired my colleagues had the customary "Whip round" and presented me with a wallet of notes, and I decided to have a painting of one of my favorite ships. Believing Stephen J was way out of my budget I engaged a local marine artist, the excellent Kenneth King, and he did an atmospheric oil much to my liking.
Fruitbat I hope you have many years of enjoyment looking at the Kinnaird Castle and thinking of your good times onboard.
Many thanks for your kind comments. I asked Stephen to paint Kinnaird Castle after seeing his painting of Clan Malcolm which is quite extraordinary. I didn't know about Kenneth King but after Googling his name I see that he has also produced some magnificent work. You're right about paintings triggering memories, in my case long forgotten ones such as being given a pile of old charts, a pair of scissors and a tin of white paint to cover up the wasted steelwork at the bottom of the bridge front prior to an inspection by LR!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello Mark. Were you 3/0 on the Clan Grant in 73/74 with Tim Culpin and me the cadets? Judging by your nickname, the chances are good :)

Neil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Mark. Were you 3/0 on the Clan Grant in 73/74 with Tim Culpin and me the cadets? Judging by your nickname, the chances are good :)

Neil
Hi Neil - good to hear from you! Clan Grant was my first trip as 3/O after being carefully selected by the office (who were clearly looking for someone with no experience, knowledge or ticket), and I remember you and Tim very well! Are you still living in South Africa?

·
Registered
242 Posts
"Funny that! I was a "plumber" on her at the time. You didn't make an impression on me either." (Applause)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi Neil - good to hear from you! Clan Grant was my first trip as 3/O after being carefully selected by the office (who were clearly looking for someone with no experience, knowledge or ticket), and I remember you and Tim very well! Are you still living in South Africa?
Hello Mark. Yes I am. That was a great trip on the Grant. I especially remember the time spent in St Helena. I'm still in touch with Tim Culpin and the 2/O Jim Dick. The mate was Bill Sutherland and I sailed with him again on the Good Hope Castle. Neil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Mark. Yes I am. That was a great trip on the Grant. I especially remember the time spent in St Helena. I'm still in touch with Tim Culpin and the 2/O Jim Dick. The mate was Bill Sutherland and I sailed with him again on the Good Hope Castle. Neil
Please give them my best wishes the next time you hear from them. I still remember how Tim was taken in by the plan to load some livestock crates on deck containing St Helenian rock kangaroos!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Please give them my best wishes the next time you hear from them. I still remember how Tim was taken in by the plan to load some livestock crates on deck containing St Helenian rock kangaroos!
Yes, and he finally smelled a rat when you eventually told him the crates would be labelled "IVBNHAD" (or something like that)!

I'll send you a pm with contact details

·
Registered
7 Posts
"S" class ships.

Hi All,
I worked on the S.A.Statesman in 1966. She was launched in 1950 as Clan Sinclear & was one of 13 "S" Class ships built in Scotland. For the full story of these steam powered turbine ships
go to my website Safmarine Mariner (Clan Shaw S class ships)

Regards Lister Pollard........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts