Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
I have just bought the book British Box Business, a History of OCL edited by Alan Bott. There is a aerial picture of Kowloon Bay aground on Rondo Island on page 265. Story says she went on at 20 knots, tug got her off and she was towed stern first to Singapore leaving her bulbous bow on the island for perpetuity! Collision bulkhead held.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sailed on "Kowloon Bay" a trip or two after the grounding on Rondo Island and have seen some photos of the damage to the bow...bit of a mess to say the least! Heard a few different stories here and there but none of us will ever get or hear the right story how it happened...only the two on watch can tell that!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damage to Kowloon Bay from grounding

As the last post says only the two on watch know what actually happened, leaving the rest of us to clear up the mess. I was chief Engineer and the photograph shows me looking at the damage during the subsequent docking in Singapore

Attachments

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Can anyone recall if Captain Railton was the master in the Kowloon Bay during any of these voyages. My interest is that he made his first trip as a middy (as I was doing my last) in the Samcree in late 1946. He died from cancer a few years ago after seventeen years in retirement.

·
Registered
556 Posts
As the last post says only the two on watch know what actually happened, leaving the rest of us to clear up the mess. I was chief Engineer and the photograph shows me looking at the damage during the subsequent docking in Singapore
That's some serious damage there - thanks for posting that. There but for the grace...

Scary moments for those on board, I would think. Not good.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
David Hebden of Thomas Cooper and Stibbard (P&O's lawyers, hence OCL's lawyers) investigated that grounding and I recall two snippets.

One was the OOW found himself looking UP at the lighthouse...

and the other was that David told him his days with OCL were over and got him a job with the salvors.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Story I heard about the grounding when I was with P&O was that the OOW had been at his birthday party the previous evening and was 'resting his eyes' on the bridge. The lookout left the bridge to go make toast and first person to know anything about it was the duty engineer when he got an alarm.

Always got a giggle when passing Rhondo with P&O, the OM had to be up on the bridge whenever passing, just so it didn't happen again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steve on Kowloon Bay

Duncan,
I wouldn't have thought it was Steve Becket
Sadly, I don't think Steve would have got over that accident, as a result of his 3rd degree burns. I had my wife with me on that fateful voyage, and she made me hand in my resignation letter to the Chief there and then, as a result of Steve's accident. I was sad to leave the Merchant Navy as I had made so many great pals and Shipmates, including my half cousin Bobby Smith, an Elder Dempster Chief who was on the Auriol for many years.

Cheers Duncan. Nice to talk to you mate.

Succour.
Hi, the man you are talking about was Steve Beckett! He was badly burnt and flown to an American air base. He made a full recovery and became CEO. He was my father. I have just stumbled upon this page threw randomly looking at pics of P&O ships!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts