Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago, I resurrected this old clock, which had been lying dormant for many years. It had been bought by my brother about 55 years ago. I believe they were popular souvenirs for seamen back then.
I'd be interested to know if any other seafarers had functioning ones.
Mine is still going for the last three days. Will it last? Don't know.

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
I have a swinging pendulum Kundo (electrically, of course, maintained) but not an 'anniversary' clock. We did have one but fat fingers get on much less well with clockworkery timepieces than elecrickery ones.

("Anniversary" coined because it supposedly needed winding only once a year. In common with the fat fingered liability of clockworkery they are crap timekeepers compared with electrickery).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info David, I didn't know they were called "anniversary" clocks. I was amazed it still worked. I've since put it on the mantlepiece, so I can keep an eye on it. Timewise, needless to say, beside it is a radio controlled clock, giving me the precise time. (old habits die hard, re time). Further along, on the bulkhead is a radio room clock. It loses about a second a day.

Duncs

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Duncs, I have a radio room slave in the kitchen driven from the Seiko (actually not, only badged) Marine Master that ticks away beside me as I trype. Several other strictly electrically reliant timepieces tick and clonk elsewhere.

I read your 400 day-er will keep better time if you wind it monthly.

Having ruined another windy-windy clock I think I may have a similar heavy-handed disability to my Uncle Bruv's. He was deputed to wind grandmother's clocks but managed to overwind most of them. His much reported exclamation of "Damn-it! not the Ormolu" is used by the remaining family to this day when something "comes away in the hands".

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have had an electric Kundo clock for a quite a while and just keeps going and going. Runs slightly slow and not sure how to regulate (sure it involves playing with the electricary things!) so just adjust once a week

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
My longcase clock must have ticked 9,460,800,000 times if it has been wound when needed. This allows a few years for time asleep. It was made within about 500 yds of where I live. It is wound every day, but I am not too tired by it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts