Ships Nostalgia banner
481 - 500 of 539 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I remember catching Dave Goodhand C/E looking through the round window studying the turds on the perforated rubber belt. When I asked him what he was doing his reply was "Looking for countersunk turds to find if we have any shirt-lifters on board".
He could have visited the Wireless Shack.

·
Registered
90 Posts
One of the oldies of KSC/UASC

Aye probably all up in the Golden Moon, still when they come back we can go AWOL and show them how the big boys play!
Hi Albie, I am also still around and still going strong at 81.
Didn't visit the Golden Moon too often, I remember John Seffen a junior getting robbed in the back of a taxi on his way back to Port Louis.Loaded sugar there at least three times and had great times in a rented car, at disco's in Curepepe and parties with the wrens from the naval base.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi Brian,
Good to see you are still about and going strong. Me too, Tennants must have been a magic elixar. Just getting ready fly to New Zealand tomorrow to visit Kiwi (Dick Kearsley) he has been over a few times so we thought it was time we went there. John Seffen I remember well, good engineer when he wanted to be.
Keep well and speak to you when we are back early December.
Albie

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Anybody here sail with KSCo? I did one trip with them as 3rd Mate in 1974. Mate was a splendid chap named Peter Everett. He later gained command with them and appeared in a national newspaper after rescuing a boatload of Vietnamese boat people in the S China Sea.
Sailed with Peter Everett on one of the big Russians where he was Captain. An absolute gentleman and brilliant company to sail with. Seem to remember, with regard to the rescue, that he had a bo**oking as the people that were rescued were difficult to find a country to land them in.After around thirty years sailing worldwide he was one of the best I have had the pleasure of sailing with.

LouisB (Scribe)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Brian,
Good to see you are still about and going strong. Me too, Tennants must have been a magic elixar. Just getting ready fly to New Zealand tomorrow to visit Kiwi (Dick Kearsley) he has been over a few times so we thought it was time we went there. John Seffen I remember well, good engineer when he wanted to be.
Keep well and speak to you when we are back early December.
Albie
Have a nice time over there Albie and pass on my regards to Dick Kearsley & his wife, didn't sail with him but met him at the last re union
we had with Sludge Phillips (Elvis) as the main entertainment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seasons Greetings

Merry Christmas to all Ex KSC & UASC staff - I don't think there were many who left of their own free will.

It seems hard to believe that it was 40 years ago today that I was on the good ship Ibn Qutaibah preparing the engine to leave the hospitality of Kelly at the China Bar (later Club) in Keelung for the voyage to Fifi at the Kings Bar in Kaoshiung. (Don't worry - my wife knew them both)
Departed 9pm Christmas Eve so with the 8 hours difference exactly 40 years.

Spent Christmas Day at sea - I remember a Japanese made Sponge and Whipped Cream, Christmas Cake - looked the part but was just not right.
We had a lucky dip barrel where everyone put in something - I think I may have put in a pair of white knee-length socks (new) and managed to draw the star prize - forget who the Captain was but he had put in the Satsuma Ware Ginger Jar that had been given to him by the Japanese Agents. It still sits in my Mothers display cabinet to this day.

Docked in Kaoshiung late on Boxing day and got ashore for the night - US Navy personnel everywhere.

This was most likely the first Christmas I was away from home, although I had worked shifts before going to Sea - did I miss my family? - Nah!

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

·
Registered
13 Posts
I joined Almubarakiah in March 1968 as Extra 3rd Mate in Kuwait and also sailed on Alrumaithiah. My first old man was Capt.George Murdoch. Went ashore in Kuwait to work for KSA and later KSC and UASC till 1990. Guess who?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I joined Almubarakiah in March 1968 as Extra 3rd Mate in Kuwait and also sailed on Alrumaithiah. My first old man was Capt.George Murdoch. Went ashore in Kuwait to work for KSA and later KSC and UASC till 1990. Guess who?
Well Foremast that's four of us in touch from the trip on the Mubarakiah 68/69 (Kiwi, Scattercash, you and me) must be a record there! Wonder if there is anybody else around from that trip. I remember arun ashore up the River Incomati when we called into LM for Chrome Ore for Birkenhead and I still have a piece of it on my desk as a paperweight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Foremast,
51 years is a long time ago but we had some great times on that ship,Albie told me that he had been in touch with you, but will not let the cat out of the bag by revealing your name just to see if some of the young one's can figure it out.
Kiwi

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Kiwi...great to hear from you..hope all is well. Yeah I remember that trip to LM and the river trip being chased by a hippo!! I remember the electrician Morris who sadly passed away but lived more ashore than on the ship in LM.! BEST WISHES..Abe

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi Foremast,
The River Incomati trip I remember it well, I was at the back of the canoe nearest the teeth when the hippo surfaced when the locals on the oars saw it they went to "double ring ahead" pronto. I have dined out on that story a few times!
Albie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Albie.. yeah..didn't know they could swim so fast!! Getting warmer here in Montreal at last and looking forward to a great summer. If you could make it here..there is free accommodation for 10 people!! Abe Rahman.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peter Martin - my father Peter Everitt, who picked up the Vietnamese Boat People, sadly died in 2002 at the age of 67. I inherited all my father's photos (he was a keen amateur photographer) of which many are KSC and UASC ships!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Peter Martin - my father Peter Everitt, who picked up the Vietnamese Boat People, sadly died in 2002 at the age of 67. I inherited all my father's photos (he was a keen amateur photographer) of which many are KSC and UASC ships!
I also sailed with your Father when in UASC?KSC. What a tremendous person he was. A competent and relaxed Captain and as a result - a very happy ship. I'm now rapidly approaching eighty but still have fond memories of those times sailing with him. sixty-seven was too early for such a nice guy.

Regards.

LouisB

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sorry to hear of Peter Eveitts passing. Flew home from Kuwait one time with him. Lufthansa to Frankfurt then to LHR. Peter was made up as STEAK for breakfast leaving Kuwait.
Alan

481 - 500 of 539 Posts