Ships Nostalgia banner
521 - 539 of 539 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.
First one stood by was the Ibn Tufail, with Stulkan derricks (spelling?). then stood by the Ibn Hazm
with two Clark Chapman 40 tonne cranes, one master, one slave, put into tandem for 80 tonnes. A laugh watching some guys trying to get them into tandem mode.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bob Jackson Books

Does anyone know the titles of the 2 books that Bob Jackson wrote about KSC / UASC ?? Iv tried all over eBay & Amazon but no luck.
Just out of interest I was Deck Cadet with KSC & UASC 76-81 - now based in Kuwait as Country Manager for a Marine Inspection Company - full circle really - started here and end here !!
A bit late to reply here I think, but found your post when searching Bob Jackson.
The books are - first one - "I think I'll go to sea" which covers from cadet to becoming Master.
Second book, from Master onwards, is "Worse Things Happen".
I have just finished the first book, started on the second.
Some good nostalgia in book 1 but can get a bit repetitive, "Joined a ship in wherever, sailed to x, y, and z. Drank beer with some good people and some not so good, went ashore and got legless, loaded this and that, had this problem, that problem, paid off, went home. Had a months leave then did the same again on a different ship......".
Having said that, I have enjoyed book 1 enough to buy book 2 on Kindle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anybody here sail with KSCo? I did one trip with them as 3rd Mate in 1974. Mate was a splendid chap named Peter Everett. He later gained command with them and appeared in a national newspaper after rescuing a boatload of Vietnamese boat people in the S China Sea.
I was on that ship with that Master when we picked up the Vietnamese boat people. I was the 2nd Leckie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kuwait Shipping

Sailed with Peter Martin on the ship that picked up the Vietnamese boat people. My wife was with me on this trip so she was busy. The ship Al Ahmadiah, large Russian, had been converted into a cadet ship so we were pretty full when they came on board. They were given the crews mess and despite being wothout water for three days set to, to clean the mess. They put the Pakastani crew to shame with their hygene and cleanliness. We were short of food when we got to Japan, and they were not allowed ashore untill Kuwait guarrenteed domicile so we were headline news where ever we went around japan. There were about 35 children with us and they were mesmerised with the toys and presents the Japanese gave to them. Very quick learners, shewed them how to play chess and they were beating everyone. Lovely people.
Plenty of shippers parties on this ship and a most enjoyable 8 months.
Sailed as 3rd Engineer on this trip, then went British once up to 2nd Engineer.
I was with you there. 2nd Leckie Dudley Arnold

·
Registered
8 Posts
A bit late to the party..
Have been browsing the forum, see a few familiar names and its nice to remember some of the experiences with Kuwait Shipping/USAC
Joined in mid 70's (?) Larry Blunt and co, did a couple of trips on the Russians and then went chief.
Took the Salah Aldeen out from Govan.
Wasn't the K-Class a masterpiece of simplicity?

Regards to Tom Baily if you are still listening, Is Malcolm Hedly still around? Also the super who I last saw in charge of Denholms in HK.
Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sailed with Kuwait Shipping (shortly to become United Arab Shipping Co) from 1976 to 1980 as Purser/Chief Steward - Ibn Bassam, Ibn Duraid, Al Salehiah, etc (see my profile) --- any memories of that period would be welcome.

John Clement
Hi john
Noticed you were a purser. Im trying to find old mates of my late dad, he was too at the same time. Eddie Brown around 77 to 86. Ive got his discharge books and see he was on the battotah but in 85. Previously worked on BP tankers for 10 years
Elaine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, sorry if im doing this wrong. But jumping in to see if anyone can help me. Im looking fir anyone who sailed with my dad, Eddie brown he was a purser chief steward with UASC from around 77 to 86. Ill list some ships. Sadly he passed away 2 weeks ago after a bad car crash, wish he'd seen this group before.
Ibn abdoon 77-78
Al gurainiah 78
Ibn al moataz 79
Ibn shuhaid 79-80
Theekar 80
Al shidadiah 81
Fathukhair 81
Al salimiah 82
Ibn hazam 84
Ibn al haitham 84
Ibn battotah 85
Al fater 86
I also remember bill saddlers name from visiting dad, seen you all mention him. Id appreciate any help, memories etc
Elaine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Deck Cadte

Just found this Forum/Thread - I was deck Cadet from September 1976 until August 1980 when we all finished our tickets and got potted due to no 3rd Mates jobs any more for the Brits !! lots of the names seem familiar of Officers I sailed with - 'Deep Sea Phillips' was the Training Officer on the Al Ahmadiah with Capt. Pete Everett and Barry Barnes and Hazel as Chief - Andy Hunt was the Mate and think he went as Cargo Super to South America. Good to hear everyone thought it was a good company - best fun I ever had whilst at sea - now Marine Cargo Expeditor in Dubai.
i was cadet 78 onwards we,t to hull college reached the dizzy heights 2 nd mate did some agency work finished sea career with chevron early 90s

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well Foremast that's four of us in touch from the trip on the Mubarakiah 68/69 (Kiwi, Scattercash, you and me) must be a record there! Wonder if there is anybody else around from that trip. I remember arun ashore up the River Incomati when we called into LM for Chrome Ore for Birkenhead and I still have a piece of it on my desk as a paperweight.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You know Albie totally forgot about L.M had a good time there.
Aye, nice place for a blowout after the Gulf and I seem to remember you having a good run ashore with Maurice Hennon and Alf Carney. I went there many years later with Graigs when it was called Maputo and what a sad sad place it was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, sorry if im doing this wrong. But jumping in to see if anyone can help me. Im looking fir anyone who sailed with my dad, Eddie brown he was a purser chief steward with UASC from around 77 to 86. Ill list some ships. Sadly he passed away 2 weeks ago after a bad car crash, wish he'd seen this group before.
Ibn abdoon 77-78
Al gurainiah 78
Ibn al moataz 79
Ibn shuhaid 79-80
Theekar 80
Al shidadiah 81
Fathukhair 81
Al salimiah 82
Ibn hazam 84
Ibn al haitham 84
Ibn battotah 85
Al fater 86
I also remember bill saddlers name from visiting dad, seen you all mention him. Id appreciate any help, memories etc
Elaine
[/QUOTE
I remember a purser named Ainslie E Brown from Norton, Stockton-on-tees who sailed on Al Rayyan with me from 15th January 1986 to 3rd Feb. 1986. He was appointed to my ship to sort out the mess incurred by one Ivan Pinto who was a thief and a cheat of the lowest order. Is Ainslie Brown by any chance your Dad?
James A. Hamilton
Master
Al Rayyan 1985-86

·
Registered
14 Posts
Peter Martin - my father Peter Everitt, who picked up the Vietnamese Boat People, sadly died in 2002 at the age of 67. I inherited all my father's photos (he was a keen amateur photographer) of which many are KSC and UASC ships!
Remember your dad Peter from my time as C/O on Ibn Bassam 1977. He took a photo of me lying on my back in the swimming pool. A grand chap- happy days.
Jim Hamilton
Chief Officer
Ibn Bassam April 1977 - Sept 1977

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mr Grace, your list has jogged many memories and at this time of the year my nostalgia for KSC/UASC has once again surfaced. I have been trawling the furtherest recesses of my failing memory to conjour up a few blasts from the past, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Starting with the Engineers who kept the show on the road despite the challenges of the "Small Russians".
Eddie Moore, Jack Etchells, Gil Blundell, Davie Deans, Peter Rogan, Brian Constable, John Jaques, Harry Sayers, Mr Patt, Andy Albert, Pierre Rasin and the great Kevin Lloyd.
Electricians John/Graeme Unsworth, Sid Dack and the guy from Chester-Le-Street with wife Brenda (Or 'War Bren').
Few Grocers are worthy of mention, perhaps just Tony Owens and the great Frank Pinkney Loftus.
I always regarded those on the Bridge as being tasked with bringing me from the fleshpoits of Europe to the fleshpots of the Far East with an efficient discharge of cargo in between. Capt Quigley, Hamilton, Spencer, Bobby Watt, Finlay, Collier, Peter Dammer, Steve Ponsford.
Not forgetting the Buggers from Corn Exchange, Bailey, Duncan, Leck, Larry Blunt, George Weston, Kneen.
I would love to give a wee pen picture of them all but am wary of the law, however I would sail with the most of them any day.
A happy new year to all KSC Veterans.
I loved my time with UASC from 1977 to 1986 very much, as a matter of fact they were my very best times as a mariner, including Ben Line with whom I sailed for 27 years. Some great guys, some clowns as well! I am still going fairly strongly and now in my 90th year, so have been away from seafaring for the same period of time as I was at sea- 36 years on, 36 years off!
Jim Hamilton
ex master
UASC.

521 - 539 of 539 Posts